Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

There is also another side to this.  I worked in a transcription office a few years ago.  There were six females and one of them complained about everything (to supervision) voices too loud, smells of food, phone calls, lunch breaks.  She was always mad a something.  She used to clean out her cupboards and bring open boxes of stale cereal and crackers to work and then get mad because we did not want it.  One of my favorite things was when she went to a bakery outlet and brought in a 30 gal trash bag of loose hamburger buns and thought we should be thankful (we were well paid and could afford food).  All five of us quit and took other jobs and she is still there!

We once worked with a transcriptionist who had severe  ADHD. He could not sit in his chair and transcribe for more than 5-10 minutes without getting up and down several times, clearing his throat, asking questions, leaving the room, etc. Not only did he not get diddly done, the rest of us couldn't either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@mstyrion 1 well thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.  I'm honored that of all the responses you chose mine to comment on.  I've worked in this same job for 21 years.  The issues I talked about have just been within the last few years.  Also, one does not just decide to work at home.  That is not an option for me.

You are welcome and I am honored that of other responses to your post, you chose me to respond to.  

I chose your response because some of your complaints were the most trivial. 

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@chi5925 wrote:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Are there not superiors in office environments? Are there not rules and/or standards in office environments? If not, why not? If so, why are the rules not enforced? In my job there were many that complained a lot, but only to fellow workers. I have always believed in complaining to someone with the authority to DO Something about it.

Makes me wonder if maybe the OP isn't like my former co-workers. Complain to ole john here, but heaven forbid letting a superior know you had a complaint. Just might lose a few of these brownie points they had accumulated.

hckynut(john)

I would tend to think that it is futile trying to do anything about these behaviors.  In my office situation and probably many others where I was the supervisor who tried to enforce the rules and the managers refused to back me up when these workers whined about me wanting them to come in on time and be ready to work rather than have breakfast, chat with coworkers about their lives and make phone calls. Workers were reassigned to other supervisors who would overlook the behavior of those who refused to comply.   My unit alwalys far exceeded the work of those other units who did not enforce rules, but obviously the management did not care and just didn't want to take the time to correct the problem employees.  Over the years I noticed a severe change in the work ethic of the younger workers (not all) who were raised to think everything they did was wonderful and they never had to work hard for much.  This resulted in self absorbed  adults who felt entitled to their job regardless of how little they did!!!  Also with social media many had no idea how to interact effectively with others face to face.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This bothers me.....

[ Edited ]

I was reading an article about the guy that invented the open cublice concept.  At the time it was for something very specific and he feels it's gone too far and not healthy for workers.  

I think there's a general lack of regard for others these days.  I'm retired now but I notice when I'm out walking, mostly in a nature refuge, that some people listen to loud music without earbuds while they're running, totally oblivious to the fact that they're disturbing others.  

When I was working there were always employees that would play music at their desks at volumes where everyone could hear it it.  I would have to ask them to wear headphones because not everyone wanted to hear it and people were trying to concentrate,  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind if people listen to their music, or radio, as long as they keep the volume down low.

As far as listening to music, as they go for their jog outside, without headphones, I'd rather that they didn't wear headphones, while out jogging in nature.

How many times have we heard on the news, that a person was assaulted, as they were out on their run, and didn't hear the assailant approaching, because they were wearing their headphones?

I know that I have.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This bothers me.....

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't mind if people listen to their music, or radio, as long as they keep the volume down low.

As far as listening to music, as they go for their jog outside, without headphones, I'd rather that they didn't wear headphones, while out jogging in nature.

How many times have we heard on the news, that a person was assaulted, as they were out on their run, and didn't hear the assailant approaching, because they were wearing their headphones?

I know that I have.

Good points.  I don't mind other people listening to music in the workplace as long as others can't hear it.  As far as listening to music outdoors.  I understand what you're saying about the safety issue and I agree.   Whether the music is at low volume with earbuds or high volume without earbuds I'm not sure one would hear a mugger approach.   I don't think I would listen to music at all so I could be aware of my surroundings.

Trusted Contributor

@elaine8812 wrote:

After reading the posts on poor grammar, I started to think of other irritating issues we deal with at work.  I work in an open cubicle workspace.  It is unbelievable and disgusting on some of the things I hear and witness in what people do at their desks.  I have coworkers who think nothing of spitting in their wastebaskets at their desk.  One person who was sick actually threw up at her desk and she was in a position to leave her desk and go to the restroom.  The use of profanity along with poor English is rampant.  I am an older worker and I think today's work environment has changed for the worse in so many ways. 

------

Maybe the woman at her desk, got hit with an intense wave of nausea, knew she wouldn't make the bathroom, and didn't want to make a mess, all over!

Contributor

This is exactly my situation.  Many in management do not care and the ones who have tried to do something have been overruled by others in management.  What I have noticed over the years is that for some people, their private lives overflow into their worklives.  I come from the era where you kept your private life and work life separate.  I know more about the personal lives of my co-workers than I care to know.  People have no filters at all now.  I know who has filed for divorce, bankruptcy or who is having child custody issues and so on.  These are issues of your private life that should not ever be discussed in an open work environment.

And as far as younger people being more tech savy, I find in my experience with the younger workers in my department is that many of them are skilled in the social media side of technology, but when it comes down to actually producing reports or data, presenting analysis of any sort, it is scary.  Some of these people are walking around with some sort of college degree but you wouldn't know it.  I actually dread having to call the help desk for assistance.  What you will get is a person who can barely hold a conversation and will be incapable in helping you with your problem.

It seems as though we have been dumbed down as a nation.  Everyone is distracted.  We no longer are able to speak well because it is so easy to send a text, we cannot write because we are use to technology correcting for us.  

so sad.

Contributor

A little more detail to this situation which I found so appalling is that the young lady had been sick all morning and had thrown up once at her desk.  Instead of leaving the work area after the first time, she just sat at her desk and threw up the rest of the morning.  Disgusting.

Trusted Contributor

There was no Supervisor/Manager, to tell the young woman she was going to be sent home, because she was ill? 

Even,  it wasn't communicable, clearly she was in no shape to be working. 

I cant imagine someone feeling they needed to keep working, and sitting at their station, and continuing to be ill?

Whete was the person in charge?