Trusted Contributor

@elaine8812 wrote:

After reading the posts on poor grammar, I started to think of other irritating issues we deal with at work.  I work in an open cubicle workspace.  It is unbelievable and disgusting on some of the things I hear and witness in what people do at their desks.  I have coworkers who think nothing of spitting in their wastebaskets at their desk.  One person who was sick actually threw up at her desk and she was in a position to leave her desk and go to the restroom.  The use of profanity along with poor English is rampant.  I am an older worker and I think today's work environment has changed for the worse in so many ways. 

I am retired now but have to admit that I once threw up in my wastebasket at work.  The nausea came over me so quickly that I did NOT have enough time to make it to the restroom and so better there than all over the floor on the way to the bathroom.  The basket had a liner and I disposed of it myself in the janitor's area.   I would never be critical of someone who gets sick unexpectedly.  

Honored Contributor

indoor kitty wrote:

I think it's 50, 50 on new worker attitudes. They younger workers pick up the tech stuff faster,

however, I've see new hires flat out refuse to do things, and see surprised when this upsets you

LOL The young man who took my job when I retired has a real attachment to his phone, and

would rather stare at it than work. And this is where Karma comes in, they have had to add three new hires since I left, and now my replacement complains about them. Everything changes.

I noticed, toward the end of my career, that difference in attitude about some of the younger employees.   I remember, with more than one, when they would chronically arrive late for work I would get a response like 'it's only 10 minutes (15 minutes - whatever)'.    Like they don't get the point that everybody else had to show up on time and, in many cases, make up for the fact that others had not been bothered to show up on time.

When you would tell them that it's important to be at work, READY TO WORK, when their time starts, you would just get kind of a blank stare back like 'why is this so important to you?'.   The more you try to explain how it is everybody's responsibility to be there and to do their part - do what they are PAID to do - you couldn't break through that hard shell.  

I never imagined that sort of inability to see anything from the POV of the rest of the team, or probably anybody other than themselves, 20 or 30 years ago in the work force.    Now, there are always variables, so you can never speak for 100% of everybody.  But that different sort of work ethic (or lack thereof?) really did become MUCH more prevalent.

Esteemed Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@elaine8812 wrote:

After reading the posts on poor grammar, I started to think of other irritating issues we deal with at work.  I work in an open cubicle workspace.  It is unbelievable and disgusting on some of the things I hear and witness in what people do at their desks.  I have coworkers who think nothing of spitting in their wastebaskets at their desk.  One person who was sick actually threw up at her desk and she was in a position to leave her desk and go to the restroom.  The use of profanity along with poor English is rampant.  I am an older worker and I think today's work environment has changed for the worse in so many ways. 

it's simply changed in a way you are not accustomed to.........if we climbed into Mr. Peabody's way back machine to the 1800's or the 1950's, they might be complaining about you...........different times, different way of doing things.............................raven

I must be living a sheltered life having never heard about the Wayback Machine. I Googled it and learned about what I'd missed. It's fun thinking about where I'd go if I had one!

Respected Contributor

Re: This bothers me.....

[ Edited ]

In our office we have one person who airs her medical issues all day long.  She's on the phone with her husband and doctors and pharmacy.  The woman is a hypochondriac.  When she's not complaining about her imaginary health issues, she talks to herself all day long. 

Also people eating at their desks with their smelly food (liverwurst and onions, chinese food, chomping on carrot sticks, etc) is gross.  People have no manners because they don't care about anyone else -- just themselves.  And don't get me started on gum snapping.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

DH and I went out to lunch after church, there was a mom with 3 kids...young teens to middle school age. Kids were a bit loud but having a nice lunch, laughing, etc...mom, did engage with the girls on occasion but noticed she was on her phone a lot as well...can't people just go to lunch and have a nice meal and conersation anymore......

Dh and I are self employed, thank goodness we don't have to deal with employees.

Respected Contributor

I am soooo happy that I'm retired!

Esteemed Contributor

Ignorance, rude behavior, and disgusting habits (also ability to be tech savvy) have NOTHING to do with age. Nothing. They result from the behaviors, knowledge, and values that are chosen individually. I sense a little "ageism" in some people's posts in this thread. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I saw the change in attitude ahead of my early retirement.  I was so fortunate to leave and not have to work with the people described here.  I have always said, it was MY generation that messed their kids up.  There used to be manners and morals.  And, people were a lot more tolerant of others that misspoke their words.  I have heard many in the "older" generation mispronounce or use the wrong word description.  I respect where that is coming from, and if I am able to figure out what they are saying, I'm fine with it.  On the other post she was miffed at hearing "I seen".  My father was one who said that.  I smiled every time he said it, and I smile when I hear someone say it now.  Big deal...... 

Esteemed Contributor

@elaine8812 wrote:

I worked in a hot/noisy/dirty pollution omitting factory where it was men only jobs. Open to the ladies, but those shown the I worked for over 26 years? Not 1 female wanted the job.

Spitting was a given to help rid lungs of toxins. Vomiting was a nightly occurrence for a lot of us machine operators. Profanity? Ever worked underneath a motor vehicle or under it's hood, the engine compartment? If not, I doubt you would understand.

Heat/cancer causing fumes/high decibel noise and lifting over 400 or more 60-80 lb. reels of wire per shift, and I am gonna be concerned about someone's poor English? Now I am OLD, and what I stated was from 1958 through 1985, and you think this just started happening in the workplace?

What I described above was/is the life of many blue collar worker. My reason for writing the above is to give some perspective when it comes to the different working environments. Would you prefer your present one or the one I worked in for a total of 33 years?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

There are a lot of self-absorbed people nowadays.

I don't think they grasp how they affect other people around them.

It doesn't even occur to some people that it should matter to them how they affect other people. They literally can't relate to any reason why they shouldn't do/say exactly what they feel like doing and saying. There are no filters and no selt belts, let alone stop signs. People just have diarrhea of the ego.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all