Contributor

After reading the posts on poor grammar, I started to think of other irritating issues we deal with at work.  I work in an open cubicle workspace.  It is unbelievable and disgusting on some of the things I hear and witness in what people do at their desks.  I have coworkers who think nothing of spitting in their wastebaskets at their desk.  One person who was sick actually threw up at her desk and she was in a position to leave her desk and go to the restroom.  The use of profanity along with poor English is rampant.  I am an older worker and I think today's work environment has changed for the worse in so many ways. 

Honored Contributor

Re: This bothers me.....

[ Edited ]

It's not just the workplace. Adults/children are more rude and disrespectful, these days.

Respected Contributor

@elaine8812 wrote:

After reading the posts on poor grammar, I started to think of other irritating issues we deal with at work.  I work in an open cubicle workspace.  It is unbelievable and disgusting on some of the things I hear and witness in what people do at their desks.  I have coworkers who think nothing of spitting in their wastebaskets at their desk.  One person who was sick actually threw up at her desk and she was in a position to leave her desk and go to the restroom.  The use of profanity along with poor English is rampant.  I am an older worker and I think today's work environment has changed for the worse in so many ways. 

it's simply changed in a way you are not accustomed to.........if we climbed into Mr. Peabody's way back machine to the 1800's or the 1950's, they might be complaining about you...........different times, different way of doing things.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Re: This bothers me.....

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of self-absorbed people nowadays.

I don't think they grasp how they affect other people around them.

Honored Contributor

OP, I agree with you.  My company is transitioning from offices and cubicles to the open cubicle concept.  It's supposed to be more productive.  I think cubicles are bad enough, but I don't want to look at my coworkers all day.  Plus I know the noise level will increase, which will impact my productivity.

Honored Contributor

I haven't worked for almost 12 years now.  I'm thinking that I cannot even imagine how different things are, with a bunch of people in one place, than they used to be - even that short time ago.  

I have turned marginally reclusive, in that I prefer being alone most of the time.  I get along with me pretty well, even though I'm a little too deep and somewhat complicated.  Smiley Happy  But I have manners. hehe

Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@elaine8812 wrote:

it's simply changed in a way you are not accustomed to.........if we climbed into Mr. Peabody's way back machine to the 1800's or the 1950's, they might be complaining about you...........different times, different way of doing things.............................raven

This response trivializes what is NOT just a different time/different way of doing things.

People's behavior in public and business settings is getting down right disgusting. More and more are lacking not only manners, but common sense as well. 

Basic etiquette and proper behavior in public don't go out of style, like clothing or home fashions do. Crude language, behavior and acts in the presence of others, especially in the workplace or general public are running rampant, and in my opinion, need to be called out when seen, rather than excused, tolerated or ignored.

Honored Contributor

I think it's 50, 50 on new worker attitudes. They younger workers pick up the tech stuff faster,

however, I've see new hires flat out refuse to do things, and see surprised when this upsets you

LOL The young man who took my job when I retired has a real attachment to his phone, and

would rather stare at it than work. And this is where Karma comes in, they have had to add three new hires since I left, and now my replacement complains about them. Everything changes.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I work at home. I am so grossed out when I have to go to the office.  I don't even want to think of it now.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I haven't worked for almost 12 years now.  I'm thinking that I cannot even imagine how different things are, with a bunch of people in one place, than they used to be - even that short time ago.  

I have turned marginally reclusive, in that I prefer being alone most of the time.  I get along with me pretty well, even though I'm a little too deep and somewhat complicated.  Smiley Happy  But I have manners. hehe

@chickenbutt  I like the way you think. Thanks, I just had to smile but makes sense to me.