Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: They hate xmas gifts so picky & un greatful

@sissel wrote:

I will not talk about  ungrateful people just go into forums they want this or that high standards of what they lilke for xmas gifts omg these peeps have high standards of what they want, well they lost out what family  & fun is sad for them it's not the gift

People were just talking what they like and don't like.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It doesn't mean they're ungrateful or that they don't understand the importance of the spirit of the season.

No need to feel sad for them.  I'm pretty sure that most of us know what matters most in life.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@sissel You missed my point as to why I do not donate candles and fragrances.  I do not want the pets of others to be subjected to the irritation they feel from the scents.  It is extremely strong to them.  I do my share of donating items and money on a routine basis to several charities and do the gift trees, etc. at Christmas. 

@KathyM23 

So you think that everyone who goes to thrift stores must have pets that need your protection?  Don't you think other people can make up their own minds?  Surely that's better than just dumping perfectly good items into a landfill.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

@SharkE : DH wanted my Christmas list and I was not sure what I wanted and told him to give me a variety of my favorite gift cards. DH said ok but wanted something better for me to unwrap!?? But it is what I want . Southern Bee

@SouthernBee 

It's very common for my sisters & I to give each other gift cards for whichever stores we prefer that year. 

First, it's always fun to spend other peoples' money .... and with all the sales after Christmas, it's "the thrill of the hunt".  They make us happy, and no one feels slighted because we didn't get a "thing" as a gift.  Gift cards inevitably turn into a fun experience.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I love candles and love receiving them as gifts, and I love to give them as gifts too, BUT only to people whom I know already love candles...Not everyone loves them, and I get that. A bottle of Wine would be wasted on me and my husband, as we don't drink, so everyone is different......I burn candles every evening in the winter, and I melt tarts as well, I am very into that and that is great for me, but I know everyone is not into scents like me, and that is ok too.     

@CANDLEQUEEN 

Your screen name was a major clue .... lol    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

We must be. Sisters thinking the same about gift cards.@sharks: 

Honored Contributor

We must be. Sisters thinking the same about gift cards.Problems reading and typing on smartphone.

Honored Contributor

I fail to see the greater good in giving people something that might not fit, can't eat, might be a smell they don't like, can't use, don't want to display etc etc etc.  UNLESS you know they want it.

Mugs, frames, candles, and so forth are so overgifted in the past few decades I'd figure that's done to death. People have different dietary needs and wants now, and hardly anyone I know eats lots of heavy sweets.

Times change, people change and so on.  A hundred years ago people were thrilled to get an orange in their stocking and some nuts with it.  

So a small Amazon gift card seems to be contender for a good gift now.  I don't know anyone who couldn't use one for something they want, something that breaks, a new nail file or bottle opener, etc. etc.

Respected Contributor

@woofersmom wrote:

I know plenty of people who would gladly accept these items. Please donate.

Are you sure about that? I don't think I know anyone who would want donated candles. Candles are basically the least useful, least original thing one can get for another person. I feel bad for teachers this time of year because they are inundated with candles, mugs, and ornaments. It's not ungrateful to not want a candle. I am actually shocked people still buy them as gifts because I pretty much assume no one wants one.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@woofersmom wrote:

I know plenty of people who would gladly accept these items. Please donate.

Are you sure about that? I don't think I know anyone who would want donated candles. Candles are basically the least useful, least original thing one can get for another person. I feel bad for teachers this time of year because they are inundated with candles, mugs, and ornaments. It's not ungrateful to not want a candle. I am actually shocked people still buy them as gifts because I pretty much assume no one wants one.

I love candles, as do many other posters here.  I don't see them at all as "the least useful, the least original".  My friends and family know that I like candles, and I'm always happy to receive them.

I don't give them to anyone unless I know they feel the same way.  But I don't think of them as an awful, useless gift.  Lots of people love candles, especially this time of year.  Yankee Candle and other candle companies do an incredible amount of business all year long.  Your assumption that "no one wants one" is incorrect. 

So yes, they should be donated rather than given away. They're not trash, and shouldn't be treated that way.  

Respected Contributor

@AuntG  and @sissel   I do not donate candles for the reason I mentioned.  You said others (without pets) may enjoy them.  That is true; however, when you donate something you don't know who it is going to and I stand by my original response on not wanting  it to go to someone with animals.  I could give it to someone I know for instance, but most people I know who I could give a candle to do have animals.    I certainly do my share of donating to charities - no big deal to dispose of a candle.  Anyway people who would be giving me a gift know of my allergies and would not be giving me candles so this is a mute discussion.