Honored Contributor

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER, PARALYZED, ADOPTS 5

Chris and Emily Norton adopted 4 sisters, who had been separated and fostered in different homes, plus Whittley, whom Emily had been mentoring, and later fostering, since the child was in 2nd grade.

Chris was paralyzed from the neck down since his neck was broken in a college football game in 2010.  It's so terrific that that has not stopped him and Emily from overcoming many obstacles, creating their family, and starting a foundation to help others with spinal cord disabilities.

Neat couple and inspiring family.

Frequent Contributor

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER, PARALYZED, ADOPTS 5

wow what a inspiration to all of us.  When we say we can't do something think of this family.  They have the faith and drive to achieve anything in life. GOD BLESS them Merry Christmas

Esteemed Contributor

There are paralyzed people who do things everyday.

I don't understand.

Is it because he was a football player that makes this wonderful?

Paralyzed people can do all sorts of things that non-paralyzed people can do, and yes, adoption is one of them.

But, kuddos to his family.

It's great that the kids were adopted.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I can't speak for anyone else's reaction to this family's good fortune, @Anonymous032819 , but mine has to do with many things, first, with people overcoming numerous obstacles to achieve great results.  Apparently Chris Norton has, through very hard work, achieved some limited movement in his hands, and though paralyzed, resolved to walk down the aisle at his wedding, and did.

I also love his wife's interest in at-risk children from an early age--  she started mentoring the little girl Whittley, when the child was in 2nd grade and she, Emily was still in middle school.  The relationship continued and evolved, and now at 19, Whittley is a full-fledged member of a forever family.

Those of us familiar with foster care and adoption are always thrilled when siblings are wanted and adopted together, a rather rare occurence.  All four girls, who had been separated, and their lives unimaginably disrupted, could be reunited under one roof with new parents and big sister!

With everything on their plate, the couple have a foundation to help others.  

It's just impossible not to rejoice at all these positives.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I Heart your post.

Trusted Contributor

Really???

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Really???

Honored Contributor

I have a grandson, the Treasure of My Heart (as are ALL my grandchildren) who, barring some future scientific miracle, which I will not refuse to acknowledge, will not be able to walk unaided, and will use a wheelchair.

He is smart as a whip, very musically inclined, a child who loves EVERYONE, says he will  do what he wants to do then does it, and looks at the world exactly as he sees the world approached by his peers, who are ALL his friends.

If HE wants to marry, adopt, run for President, go to the moon, or be a rock star when he attains the appropriate age and level of maturity, I am nothing but CERTAIN that he will.

God Bless ALL people who have the strength to LOVE, ACHIEVE, and BENEFIT their world in spite of personal differences!

Honored Contributor

What a great story @Oznell .  Thanks for sharing.

A good looking family too!