Honored Contributor

Re: They hate xmas gifts so picky & un greatful

@QueenDanceALot  Yep!  THe baked goods one was a classic.  I am not sure this one can compete with that one! LOL!!!  Emotions were high there!  

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I love candles and scented things, but it didn't occur to me that pets would find a burning candle or waxmelt objectionable. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I believe that cats are particularly sensitive to many scents, natural or otherwise.  By sensitive I mean that many of them make them ill.

I'm not sure if dogs are affected as acutely.  But I wouldn't be surprised.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Yep!  THe baked goods one was a classic.  I am not sure this one can compete with that one! LOL!!!  Emotions were high there!  

@Sooner 

Hey, it's early yet!!!

Honored Contributor

About "lists" -

I am NOT going to present someoe with a list unless they request I give them one.  Even then, I'd feel a little funny about doing so.

Maybe that's because at the top of my list is a Lincoln with big red bow on the roof.

Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

This thread reminds me of last year's Baked Goods thread.

If a candle or a cookie will make you ill, I think the solution is simple.  Don't burn it.  Don't eat it.

But quit whining about it.

HO HO HO!!!

@QueenDanceALot - that baked goods thread last year was mine, LOL. Good times here on the boards. 

@gidgetgh 

hahaha, I didn't mean to call you out.  It just popped into my mind (last year's food gift, um, discussion!)

@QueenDanceALot - no problem. I giggled when I read your post. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I quit giving a friend of mine any gifts as she put them out on her garage sale. Things she wanted at the time. I had a custom key chain  hand made for her in her car colors there it was at her sale.. Now she tells me she has a gift for me? Nope not doing it.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Hey, it's early yet!!!

Ah but the tears!  And the anguish!  And the points that "I made it FOR YOU!"  And the money and the time,and the love. . . and was rejected.  

And the ones that SUSPECTED you didn't eat it!  I am sorry but I found that whole discussion just bizarre and I'm not ready to apologize for thinking that.

I DO NOT understand being upset about what happens to something after you give it to someone.  Once you make the decision to GIFT it, it's out of your hands.  Or so I mistakenly thought. . . Cat Surprised

Honored Contributor

Well, this was just today.  My friend I eat with 3 or 4 times a week gave me an electric S'mores maker.  

I gave her a Dooney purse and she didn't like it and gave it back, didn't bother me, I gave it to another friend whome you'd have thought I'd given her a million dollars.  She never could have afforded one on her own.

So, anyway, back to the s'mores thing.  She gave me the graham crackers, chocolate bars, marshmellows.

She said, "No problem, I'll take it back."  I said, "Can I have the chocolate, the marshmellows?"  She said, "Sure, I'll eat the graham crackers".  Ha!

Not a big deal really.  She gave me a funny card that  some might find offensive, but it's an inside joke about squirrels between us....I loved it!

I could have taken the thing and given it away, but my house is full of stuff I've bought and not used.  There was a time when I'd have graciously taken it, but we're good enough friends I knew she wouldn't be upset.

I don't do that with anyone but her.  Frankly, I don't get many gifts anyway except from my daughters and then they are usually family pictures.

My youngest daughter has given me pillows, thermos, plates and today I got a mug.  They are all made at Snapchat and have pictures of her and her dog.

I love, love every one of them and I use them.

I'm a very, very hard person to buy for because if I want something, I buy it.

This Christmas my oldest daughter is giving me a new laptop computer.  Her husband will set the entire thing up with the printer, etc.

It's something I need and was going to buy myself a new one, but I've put it off.

I think returning a gift depends on the person who's giving it, etc.

As I've always said, "There are two ways of saying something".  People need to think who's giving the gift, how good of friends, etc.

Just spending time with this friend I mentioned and the laughs we have together is what I consider a gift.  I'd be lonely were it not for her calling me and saying, "Come on, let's go to lunch".

I tell her all of the time how much her friendship means to me.  She's not a demonstrative person and I am, but I know she really cares about me, that's what is important.

My adivce is to not come back with a response.  If the person hands it back, take it.  If you want it, keep it.  If you can return it, do that.

If it's a good friend, I don't think you should let something this trivial affect your friendship.

Life is took short to let things like this affect what might be a good friendship.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Sort of wish I'd seen that food thread... Wow... As for gifting, while I understand there are times when we all might feel obligated to give someone a gift and while we night have all been tempted at one time or another to just buy something... anything... and be done with it, I just can't get into the concept of giving someone something for the simple sake of saying 'my job is done'... If it's that big a hassle, simply announce up front that you'd feel better about not exchanging gifts this year... Make a lunch date instead... It sure beats a candle...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the workplace things can be difficult. 

Mary, Stu and Veronica come in with bags of gifts for everyone in the office.

Terry, Jean and Norman bring bupkis (oh, maybe some cookies - ACK!)  and feel like Grinches and cheapskates for not gifting in kind.

Then there are those (I just spoke with one yesterday) who has to make sure that she spends the same amount of money on each kid and grandkid or they get their noses out of joint.

MERRY CRAZY TIME, PEOPLE!!!