Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I have a belief of sort.  Seems like almost every election (like wht's coming up) the market is at some crisis to make one side look better than the other.  Very predictable and this time it involved the world. 

I absolutely agree with you on this. The market is very closely tied to politics now a days. 

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I have a belief of sort.  Seems like almost every election (like wht's coming up) the market is at some crisis to make one side look better than the other.  Very predictable and this time it involved the world. 

I believe this to be true as well.

Respected Contributor

I thought China started this down run.   They devalued their money.  

Respected Contributor

Best is to spread it around.  Never put all into one basket.  Of course you guys know this.  I didn't want to look to see the damage that hit me because I was not selling.  And in time it will return.  And some areas would not be touched at all.  And that stainless steel can full of money buried in the ground next to tree in the forest will be safe for sure.  (smile)

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Dow's been due to correct for a long time and China did finally tip it over to go ahead and make that correction.  They better get their act together though over there.  I was almost getting excited for that smidge of an interest rate hike we were supposed to get for my money market.  

I do like your earth savings plan.  Very traditional.  Smiley Wink

ETA:  Woohoo!  I guess China is listening.  Who knew they read the QVC boards?  I just heard China cut their rates.   Now that's more like it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Riding it out is Ok if you are in your 30's.....feel bad for the folks close to retirement..

Exactly, those of us who are retired and trying to live on our savings can't wait 20 years to get our money recooped. Fortunately for us , we got thru the last crash without any loses and this time we have almost all our savings in municipal bonds so should be safe. In my personal opinion - the stock market is way to volatile for the average working person to have their life savings invested there.

Same with us....no investments in the Stock Market.....

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

You're right , that and panicked investers. The last free fall I lost plenty on paper but I left my money where it was and increased my contributions, getting stock at bargain prices. So, I regained what was lost and then some.

Those who need the money invested in the market to live on should have moved it out when stocks were high not now when they will suffer loses. Now is too late, wait for it to rebound, it always does, and sell then. It won't be 20 years either.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I saw a crawler this morning that because of the low price of oil, gas prices COULD drop to below $2.00/gallon by late fall.  Our's hasn't come down even a cent so far.  LOL

I also saw that the average 401K lost about $3,000.00 in all of this.   

A ridiculous thing to say since everyone has a different amount in their 401k. One person has a half million and another has 10,000 or maybe 1000. Who figures out what the average 401k is ? 

alas, back in 2008 someone did do an analysis on the average 401K and the average 401K plan for someone who around 50-55 years of age was less than 70K

scary.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Yes, correct.  Look deeper and further.  We, the USA are very in debt to China.  If they get tanked in the market, they forgive some very large debts and.............all is well.  I think it's still all somehow tied to the upcoming elections. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Yes, correct.  Look deeper and further.  We, the USA are very in debt to China.  If they get tanked in the market, they forgive some very large debts and.............all is well.  I think it's still all somehow tied to the upcoming elections. 

Also today the market dropped major again.  Reason because the Chinese troop movement.   Got some spooked and they sold.   Something is happening with China still.   

Seems like the elections are too far way to effect the stocks now.   Might come into play the closer the elections are ready to Rock and Roll.