Respected Contributor

Interesting trivia about Princess Diana's brother....

[ Edited ]

Charles Spencer has 7 children from 3 wives and his most recent born was named Charlotte Diana Spencer (born 7/30/2012).  She is the first cousin of Prince William.  Prince William and his wife named their daughter Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.  Perhaps they would have named her Charlotte Diana if that name had not already been taken.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Spencer,_9th_Earl_Spencer

Respected Contributor

Re: Interesting trivia about Princess Diana's brother....

I remember him - He was a nice-looking man.  He's been busy.

Honored Contributor

I'm not too impressed by the Spenser family, shrugs....

Contributor

Earl Spencer was a bit of a player. While I liked his speech at Diana's funeral and the privacy of her final resting place. I think he is a bit of a cad. William couldn't have used Diana as her second middle name bc of HRH the Queen. 

Respected Contributor

@Bananie wrote:

Earl Spencer was a bit of a player. While I liked his speech at Diana's funeral and the privacy of her final resting place. I think he is a bit of a cad. William couldn't have used Diana as her second middle name bc of HRH the Queen. 

I didn't know that they had no option.

Valued Contributor

@Bananie wrote:

While I admired Diana and think it would be nice that her name come off of some Queenly "also ran" list, I must say that Charlotte Elizabeth is much more mellifluous a name than would have been Charlotte Diana.

Charlotte Diana almost sounds like a type of steak one might order in a restaurant.

"I'll have the Charlotte Diana and side of Fergie potatoes to go, please."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I admit to being a bit of an Anglophile in terms of history, not so much a follower of the Royal family.  

However, it always bothered me that HRH was so snooty about Diana's heritage when in fact the Spencers have been in England for centuries and the faux Windsors are arrivests.

The Spencer family is full of scandals! I just finished reading a book about them and wow, what those people got up to!  They make the current Earl look like a kid.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I admit to being a bit of an Anglophile in terms of history, not so much a follower of the Royal family.  

However, It always bothered me that HRH was so snooty about Diana's heritage when in fact the Spencers have been in England for centuries and the faux Windsors are arrivests.

The Spencer family is full of scandals! I just finished reading a book about them and wow, what those people got up to!  They make the current Earl look like a kid.

Where were the birthers when Diana needed them ?

( My nan would be appalled at my comment. She still loves that royal stuff. )

Respected Contributor

Did you know that Diana and her sibs have an American connection?  Their great-grandmother was Frances Ellen Work.  She was an American socialite who married James Burke Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy.  One of her sons, Edmund, the 4th Baron Fermoy, was Diana's maternal grandfather.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

This was made obvious at the time of the engagement or wedding, can't remember which.