Valued Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner charges?

@patbz wrote:

Just checked the price of Safe day's precooked meal ( 6-8 people) is $77 and includes all the usuals except desserts and wine/ booze.  So $25 pop sounds right but there should be generous leftovers and dessert, wine!

---

Last Thanksgiving, some of our local restaurants were very appreciative to have the full-meal carryout holiday business, as they were not allowed in-person dining.

In support of one of our favorite restaurants, we ordered ours last year for just under $100. It included full meal and desserts, but no drinks, for three adults and three children. Plenty of leftovers.

It worked out well for us, and I was happy to not have the all-day cooking experience.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Why do adults feel the need to make excuses?

I'd just flat out say the original invite DID not include a payment and therefore we won't be coming or paying.

It's really not that hard to do. If you have the backbone to actually DO it. Which I doubt they will.

It may not be hard, but it also wouldn't be diplomatic. In essence, what you recommend translates as, "When we thought it a free dinner, we accepted, but we don't care about spending time with you and your husband, and definitely not if we have to pay".

Esteemed Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Just checked the price of Safe day's precooked meal ( 6-8 people) is $77 and includes all the usuals except desserts and wine/ booze.  So $25 pop sounds right but there should be generous leftovers and dessert, wine!

---

Last Thanksgiving, some of our local restaurants were very appreciative to have the full-meal carryout holiday business, as they were not allowed in-person dining.

In support of one of our favorite restaurants, we ordered ours last year for just under $100. It included full meal and desserts, but no drinks, for three adults and three children. Plenty of leftovers.

It worked out well for us, and I was happy to not have the all-day cooking experience.

@Highlands72  would you do this again this year?

Esteemed Contributor

In normal non pandemic times, we spend dinner out of state at one of my sisters in law's homes.  This is a big deal with about 15 people and lots of home baked goodies.  Were never asked to contribute but we always bring a side or a dessert and also contribute $50 in advance towards the turkeys etc.

Valued Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

---

@Highlands72  would you do this again this year?

---

Yes, I am tentatively planning on doing the same again, but there will be a few more people this year at Thanksgiving dinner, so adjustments will be necessary. 

I will make a few family-recipe favorites myself to augment what I order.

Respected Contributor

With the price of $50 for this couple, perhaps the food is being bought from QVC. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover  and anyone who cares to read my take on this:

Knowing how it often goes with couples, one does the inviting without giving the details and the other one then calls and informs those inviting of all the info they need to know. I've witnessed this with my parents, my in-laws, my friends, my neighbors and my own husband. It happens. I'm willing to bet

1) He calls your husband and does the invite and says NOTHING about the food being ordered, the cost, nothing. Your husband hears "dinner at our house. Happy Thanksgiving. We won't have to bother with it OR spend money on food. WOOHOO" and accepts.

2) He then tells his wife he invited you two and she asks "did you let them know we're ordering from a restaurant and that we're all going to share the cost?" Nope, sorry hun, he forgot. So now SHE has to call you and tell you this information

If he had told your husband UP FRONT the plans, would your husband have declined the offer? What if he had said "let me discuss this with my wife and call you back" and you did, would you have declined the offer?

Food costs twice what it did last year. Let's be real. If I'm making dinner, I'm keeping the leftovers, yes indeed I am. That $50 is a great deal when you think of the cost of all the food, the time prepping, the time cooking and the time cleaning up for the SHORT time it actually takes to eat it. So what really bugs you about this whole thing: how it was handled? The fact that you don't want to pay for your food (which you would anyway if you cooked at home via the groceries)? What, exactly, is the issue?

Last: this is why I am SO grateful when someone gives me home-made anything. I know the time, the effort and the cost is FAR more than if they bought it already made at a store. In my world, the question we ask is "is this person worth my time, energy and hard earned cash" when it comes to gifting them a home-made item and you know what? Many are not.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a peaceful Thanksgiving.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

Just tell her you’ll meet her at the restaurant ! Wonder if she charges her family ! 

Valued Contributor

@occasionalrain , I really don't think it translates that way.  When I invite someone to my home they are my guest, when they invite me I am their guest.  If we invite one or another out we don't expect anyone to pay for the other.  

Honored Contributor

If I was paying $50 for my meals, I'd at least like to be able to choose what I'd be eating.