Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner charges?

Is this the first invite to their home?  If it is, I think it's strange and rude for them to request money from you.

I would be thinking of an excuse to not attend and make sure I called with plenty of notice in case she's ordering soon.

If a couple can't afford to feed invited guests, they need to do some serious re-thinking of their finances.

All because she doesn't want to cook?

I'd decline, they put you in an awkward situation and how kind of you to offer to bring food--after getting this thrown at you.

I would invite them to my home sometime during the holiday season.  A nice meal doesn't have to be a big production and it doesn't have to be expensive.  

It's the thought that counts....

Honored Contributor

@Sage04  

You and I think alike. 

Super Contributor

Bad manners !!!    You can either go for for a pre-dinner appetizer and drink...bring a bottle of wine or pop in for dessert (bring a plate of cookies of a pie).  I am not sure what the host's plan truly is. Its sounds as though she doesn't want to do Thanksgiving at all and is cobbling something together ...you may have to bring your own plates !!!

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

@Duckncover  I'm as appalled as you are.  But you're not "stuck."  You and your husband were invited as guests without any mention of a $25 fee. Your husband gratefully accepted what appeared to be a gracious invitation,  When wife called back and set a fee, she reneged on the invitation extended by her husband, leaving you free to back out of this bait-and-switch offer. It's sad that they don't even seem to have the grace to be embarrassed.  (One would have thought that after the wife found out her husband had failed to mention the fee, she'd have let it drop -- the fact that she didn't is what leaves such a bad taste.)

On the other hand, if you still want to be with them, make up your mind to put your resentment behind you...in the spirit of Thanksgiving.

@vsm  did you read my Post somewhere along the line lol.

I would not have mentioned the charge since my husband didn't. Tells you who's the boss.

I didn't read all the posts, including yours, before replying, @Sage04 , but I'll definitely look for it!

Esteemed Contributor

This is something that a lot of people do, but you have to place your order a few months in advance. You get a menu together and tell them for how many people. That's nothing new and everyone chip in.

For many, many years we have had at least 40 to 50 family and friends who would fly in from different States. The menu was posted and three of us did the cooking and a few brough desert.

Last year because of what's going on we decide to only have 12 family members and this year it will be the same people, and on the Saturday we will get together for brunch and do a lot of cooking. I miss the crowd but I like it this way.

If some can't be with family, get together with friends.

Esteemed Contributor

@vsm I didn't mean for you to read my Post. I meant you and I said almost the same thing.
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I am sorry but I think it's rude and I would cancel. Especially since she invited you and then told you later oh by the way the cost is $25.00 each. It's much easier to have a meal and and have guests contribute different dishes, since the expenses can add up. 

@icezeus  it was the husband who Didn't convey the message to @Duckncover's  husband as he was told. The wife later called @Duckncover  and told her about the charge. She should have let it go.

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Duckncover I think that if the wife had called to invite you, she probably would've mentioned the cost of the meal when she invited you.  Since her husband relayed the invitation to yours, I'm not surprised that he forgot to mention it to your husband.  

@Linmo  I don't think the husband forgot. He didn't want to mention it but his wife got bold enough and decided to mention it to @Duckncover. She forced her husband to call @Duckncover's husband, talk man to man but he just couldn't mention money. Men are very smart lol.

Honored Contributor

Why do adults feel the need to make excuses?

I'd just flat out say the original invite DID not include a payment and therefore we won't be coming or paying.

It's really not that hard to do. If you have the backbone to actually DO it. Which I doubt they will.

Esteemed Contributor

Just checked the price of Safe day's precooked meal ( 6-8 people) is $77 and includes all the usuals except desserts and wine/ booze.  So $25 pop sounds right but there should be generous leftovers and dessert, wine!