Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,293
Registered: ‎05-01-2020

@Spurt wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

  • US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

 

 

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.


@granddi 

 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

 

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....


Yep. I'd really like to see a pro/con list for all this 'clean energy'. Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives and those pushing this aren't telling the whole truth.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,826
Registered: ‎04-04-2015

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

Conserve electricity to save the planet from fossil fuels - buy an electric car.

 

Just think of how much electricity we can save if everyone is charging their cars rather than cooling or heating their homes.

 

It's a new world - get on board.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,615
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

  • US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

 

 

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.


@granddi 

 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

 

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....


Yep. I'd really like to see a pro/con list for all this 'clean energy'. Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives and those pushing this aren't telling the whole truth.


 

What could possibly be a negative to renewable and alternative energy? There is a lot of propaganda out there that is just plain false, and is promoted by big oil and politicians who receive a lot of money from big oil.

 

The alternative is allow oil to continue to pollute our waters, land, and air.  

 

We need to be smart instead of continuing to damage the planet and future generations.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,906
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

  • US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

 

 

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.


@granddi 

 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

 

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....


Yep. I'd really like to see a pro/con list for all this 'clean energy'. Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives and those pushing this aren't telling the whole truth.


 

What could possibly be a negative to renewable and alternative energy? There is a lot of propaganda out there that is just plain false, and is promoted by big oil and politicians who receive a lot of money from big oil.

 

The alternative is allow oil to continue to pollute our waters, land, and air.  

 

We need to be smart instead of continuing to damage the planet and future generations.


The fact that it doesn't work is kind of a big negative. Most power is consumed in the evening hours when solar and wind are the least effective. Around the world, you're seeing the countries that made a big commitment to alternative energy realizing that it's just not working and moving to the older alternatives that they gave up.

 

The only available alternative that truly works is nuclear. How many new nuclear plants are being built here? Uh, let's see now, that would be none? And I don't get a dime from big oil. I'm just a realist.

 

How do you heat a city like New York, Boston, or Chicago without fossil fuels? The answer is you can't. Not with anything we have in the way of current technology. One politician claimed we could do it with new technology that hasn't been invented yet. Gee, you'd think someone would invent it if it was possible. But it's not possible. Those cities get into the teens and twenties regularly in the winter. Heating them with anything but fossil fuels is impossible.

 

The issues with solar and wind are the same as they were back in the 70s. They make power when it's least needed and when power is most needed, they're largely useless. That's kind of a big negative to them.

 

If we were to build modern, safe nuclear plants, use fossil fuels when necessary, and use common sense, something sadly lacking these days, there would be no issues. People wouldn't be freezing in winter or dying of heat in the summer.

 

Instead, we've got people insisting that things that just don't work are the solution and we just need to spend more money on them to make them work. Uh, no. We know what works. We know what doesn't. Use what works. It's truly not rocket science. Just do what you know works.

 

"Oh, but the jobs we're creating in the alternative energy field!" Yeah. If the government was subsidizing buggy whip manufacturers people would insist we keep making buggy whips due to the jobs. Solar and wind just don't make sense except in the dreams of idealists. They make energy when it's least needed and not when it's most needed.

 

And some of the loonier billionaires of the world are now talking about installing shades in space to shield us from the sun to prevent global warming. Uh, won't that also cut the sunlight reaching all of those solar panels making them even less efficient? 

 

We know what works. We know how to make all the electricity we need and can ever need. We just need to do it and put aside the idealists who dream of a better way that just doesn't work and will never work. It's just common sense. Do what works. How is that hard to understand?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,984
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

  • US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

 

 

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.


@granddi 

 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

 

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....


Yep. I'd really like to see a pro/con list for all this 'clean energy'. Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives and those pushing this aren't telling the whole truth.


 

What could possibly be a negative to renewable and alternative energy? There is a lot of propaganda out there that is just plain false, and is promoted by big oil and politicians who receive a lot of money from big oil.

 

The alternative is allow oil to continue to pollute our waters, land, and air.  

 

We need to be smart instead of continuing to damage the planet and future generations.


You cant dispute whats going on with Germany....they went full in with green and renewable energy and it was a failure and didnt meet the needs of the country and now they are returning back to coal and nuclear.....

 

And ask those of us living in  Texas---- there is no wind right now with the high pressure over us so we cant rely on wind power...now what...🤔 I dont think the green energy people are coming forward with all the facts and they arent answering important questions either---The green energy people are putting money in people's pockets too.....they arent as noble as you think, and have their own interest at heart too....$$$$$$

 

Im for conserving, saving trees and using common sense....but unless you get China an india aboard what we do in the U.S. and Europe isnt making much of a difference for the planet.......And we just dont have the technology in place to go green right now.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,984
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]


@gardenman wrote:

 

The fact that it doesn't work is kind of a big negative. Most power is consumed in the evening hours when solar and wind are the least effective. Around the world, you're seeing the countries that made a big commitment to alternative energy realizing that it's just not working and moving to the older alternatives that they gave up.

 

The only available alternative that truly works is nuclear. How many new nuclear plants are being built here? Uh, let's see now, that would be none? And I don't get a dime from big oil. I'm just a realist.

 

How do you heat a city like New York, Boston, or Chicago without fossil fuels? The answer is you can't. Not with anything we have in the way of current technology. One politician claimed we could do it with new technology that hasn't been invented yet. Gee, you'd think someone would invent it if it was possible. But it's not possible. Those cities get into the teens and twenties regularly in the winter. Heating them with anything but fossil fuels is impossible.

 

The issues with solar and wind are the same as they were back in the 70s. They make power when it's least needed and when power is most needed, they're largely useless. That's kind of a big negative to them.

 

If we were to build modern, safe nuclear plants, use fossil fuels when necessary, and use common sense, something sadly lacking these days, there would be no issues. People wouldn't be freezing in winter or dying of heat in the summer.

 

Instead, we've got people insisting that things that just don't work are the solution and we just need to spend more money on them to make them work. Uh, no. We know what works. We know what doesn't. Use what works. It's truly not rocket science. Just do what you know works.

 

"Oh, but the jobs we're creating in the alternative energy field!" Yeah. If the government was subsidizing buggy whip manufacturers people would insist we keep making buggy whips due to the jobs. Solar and wind just don't make sense except in the dreams of idealists. They make energy when it's least needed and not when it's most needed.

 

And some of the loonier billionaires of the world are now talking about installing shades in space to shield us from the sun to prevent global warming. Uh, won't that also cut the sunlight reaching all of those solar panels making them even less efficient? 

 

We know what works. We know how to make all the electricity we need and can ever need. We just need to do it and put aside the idealists who dream of a better way that just doesn't work and will never work. It's just common sense. Do what works. How is that hard to understand?


@gardenman 

 

BEAUTIFULLY SAID! 👍👍👍

 

 

download (2).jpg

 

We arent using our own resources for our energy needs, but we are buying it from Saudi Arabia and Venezuela so that makes it "better"...🤣🤣🤣

 

 

And Bill Gates reminds me of a mad scientist from the old sci fi movies from the 70's that we watched when we were kids.....Bill better leave the sun alone or his ideas are going to cause major catastrophes he's getting into things he knows nothing about.....SMH! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,293
Registered: ‎05-01-2020

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

  • US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

 

 

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.


@granddi 

 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

 

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....


Yep. I'd really like to see a pro/con list for all this 'clean energy'. Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives and those pushing this aren't telling the whole truth.


 

What could possibly be a negative to renewable and alternative energy? There is a lot of propaganda out there that is just plain false, and is promoted by big oil and politicians who receive a lot of money from big oil.

 

The alternative is allow oil to continue to pollute our waters, land, and air.  

 

We need to be smart instead of continuing to damage the planet and future generations.


You obviously haven't read the thread. So let's see:

windmills kill birds

windmills don't run on their own (look it up)

not enough wind for the wind turbines

wind turbines freeze in bad weather rendering them useless

solar panels get covered with pollen, etc so aren't efficient

solar panels are cost prohibitive for people especially in certain areas

how are solar panels going to work for houses in shade?

what about when solar panels and huge windmills need to be replaced? (landfill?) 

lithium batteries have their own issues

it takes a lot of electricty to charge ev's

ev's are very expensive to buy and replace the battery

there aren't many charging stations for the ev's

 

This is just for starters. Get back to me when China and India are doing their fair share.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,097
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I do not trust that the heat wave problems will be limited to Texas.  I fear we will all find our selves living with its effects on various systems in many ways.  We can all learn from the Texas experience!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 31,984
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I do not trust that the heat wave problems will be limited to Texas.  I fear we will all find our selves living with its effects on various systems in many ways.  We can all learn from the Texas experience!


@millieshops 

 

Yep, your right...the heat is now covering other parts of the country and some States are even asking for people to conserve (I posted the article in this topic somewhere).....Thats why it burns me up when I hear the QVC hosts say how cold it is in their homes and how they set their A/C thermostats at 72 degrees or lower and are covering themselves up with blankets and throws to watch TV....So I dont want to hear the host crying when they start experiencing blackouts ....and even generators need electricity to run.

 

Yep @millieshops none of the other States are learning a darn thing from what happened and is happening here in Texas both in the winter and now in the summer with record breaking temperatures....The National Grid is in trouble too and adding electric vehicles isnt gonna help either....Weather is just not confined to Texas......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”