Respected Contributor

On Monday Texas's Independent Power Grid came within 0.61% of its capacity. The 10 day forecast shows no break in the heat. Rangers stadium increased inside temp from 72 to 75. I'm setting in my house with every fan on plus the AC, few lights only window lighting. It's getting critical here.

ERCOT (power company) said "we just didn't know it was going to be this bad!"

Respected Contributor

I am in West Texas and living in fear we will lose power. My husband is having health issues. Loss of A/C could be very difficult for him. We are old and frightened of the consequences of no power in this horrendous heat wave.

I am using nothing but the A/C. We are leaving lights off, preparing a quick, simple meal and using as little power as possible. I am just glad that the schools are not fully operational.

Honored Contributor

I thought they fixed that after what happened last yr.

Honored Contributor

I have a close friend who lives in a very rural area just outside of Abilene and she tells me all the time about how hot it's been there. She also says that her power goes out during extreme conditions. Now she's considering getting solar panels put on her house. I told her that would be a great idea especially when her electrical power fails. She's looking into government-assistance programs for residential solar systems. I understand that some are free. She cannot afford a whole-house generator, like Generac, so solar would be the way to go for her.

Esteemed Contributor

I have my ac at 80 with floor fan going.  No laundry, dishwasher or lights.  Don't move around much because I would have to lower ac setting.  Fortunately the back of the house only gets the early morning sun so the family room is OK.  Of course no big meals so I'm OK as long as the power holds.  I'm wondering if they will have to go to rolling black outs.?

Honored Contributor

Texas needs to get a handle on this and fix their power grid issue.  It's happened before so this can't be a surprise to those in positions of responsibility. They need to redirect some of their efforts and get this fixed. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I have my ac at 80 with floor fan going.  No laundry, dishwasher or lights.  Don't move around much because I would have to lower ac setting.  Fortunately the back of the house only gets the early morning sun so the family room is OK.  Of course no big meals so I'm OK as long as the power holds.  I'm wondering if they will have to go to rolling black outs.?

@mspatmac  I'm with you there.  I'm not in TX, but am trying to save as much as I can.  Don't turn on lights unless absolutely necessary and keep AC at 79-80.  As long as I'm comfortable, why not? 

Esteemed Contributor

Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is a joke.  No, they didn't fix things after the 02/2021 fiasco.  We are being asked to reduce power usage between noon and 8pm.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Hopefully, there are no surprise sky-high utility charges again this year.  ERCOT seems to have Texans over a barrel.

Respected Contributor

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

I read that part of the issue is not enough wind for the wind turbines. Seems green energy isn't all that it's cracked up to be.