Honored Contributor

Re: Texas Power Grid

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Texas has never been the king of wind energy to my knowledge. The wind turbines have been forced upon Texas by the fed govt. alothough we have many wide open spaces, wind doesn't always blow.  We are awash in natural resources like natural gas and oil....but are restricted in the amount we can drill or process. 

@Trailrun23   You might want to check out multiple sources.

Texas leads (updates as late as 5/22).

There were more installations of wind turbines as of 12/20 and also the most construction than any other state.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Texas has never been the king of wind energy to my knowledge. The wind turbines have been forced upon Texas by the fed govt. alothough we have many wide open spaces, wind doesn't always blow.  We are awash in natural resources like natural gas and oil....but are restricted in the amount we can drill or process. 

In Texas the Railroad Commission is the controlling agency for oil and gas production.

• The Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC; also sometimes called the Texas Railroad Commission , TRC) is the state agency that regulates the oil and gas industry, gas utilities, pipeline safety, safety in the liquefied petroleum gas industry, and surface coal and uranium mining. Despite its name, it ceased regulating railroads in 2005.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_Commission_of_Texas

Railroad Commission of Texas - Wikipedia

Respected Contributor

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

• US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Asking Texans to conserve energy? Yeah, that's going to go over real well. Most Some will probably lower their thermostats to 60 in defiance.

Those who do cooperate with each other are doing a very good thing. I hope no one suffers, regardless of their actions or attitude, and that the bills later on are manageable. I know that after the previous debacle, many owed a lot of money. Hopefully they've fixed that.

Just wondering what you are basing the disparaging on?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Texas aint the only one.....y'all come on and join the party....those States on the Natioal Grid are being told to conserve too...

7/20/22 By Daniella Genovese

Electric utility companies are warning customers to be cautious of their energy usage as a heat wave boils parts of the country. More than 100 million people are under excessive warnings or heat advisories as the National Weather Services warns of dangerous heat conditions through midweek across the south-central U.S., which is building into the Northeast on Wednesday.  The warnings are not only being issued to help consumers save money throughout the summer months amid surging inflation but also to make sure that increased demand for electricity does not overwhelm power grids and lead to outages. 

The National Weather Service says heat advisories are in effect for Wednesday for portions of the Northeast, including the I-95 corridor from Philadelphia to Boston, where heat index values are forecast to reach near 100 degrees.

Con Ed, said "heat, humidity and increased demand for electricity to power air conditioners can cause cables to overheat and lead to outages."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I live in AZ.   It's 114 here today.  It's deadly to be outside.   We suffer with these temperatures for months.  There is news today of severe hot weather in Spain and Portugal.

I'm sorry to hear about that, but I wish the news would focus on the extreme temps here in the US.  People here in AZ can't afford rent and some are on the streets having to endure this deadly heat.  

The elderly and sick need to be cared about and checked on.  This extreme heat is not going to get any better.   We must not forget that people are suffering from this in many parts of the US.   States need to do a better job of planning and caring for dangerous and deadly temperatures.

Those with working A/C's and nice homes, etc need to be concerned about people who aren't as lucky.  

@Black Cat Back 

At least here in our city we do have many cooling centers, because even if people have central A/C or even AC window units they are afraid to run them due to the high electric bills....so they make do with just fans blowing the hot air....Some of these folks are elderly and on a fixed income....CPS Energy has a program called REAP people helping people pay their bills...but that fund doesnt have enough money to help all that need it.....

So many folks said the fault of failed power in Texas was due to Texas being on their own Electric Grid, but now everyone can see its not just the Texas Grid, its impacting most of the U.S. and the National Grid and so now a lot of States are asking people to conserve to prevent blackouts....So it aint just Texas folks !!!! 

I had to laugh at one "official" they interviewed that says part of transitioning is adopting to new ways of life ....And his "big" suggestion was for people who are experiencing high heat was to "close their blinds and go down to the basement where it's cooler...."🤣🤣🤣 SMH!!!! So enjoy your basement time....and you thought the Covid isolation mandates were bad......Yes, this is our future folks......

And his suggestion wont even work in Texas because our homes DONT have basements....🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Asking Texans to conserve energy? Yeah, that's going to go over real well. Most Some will probably lower their thermostats to 60 in defiance.

Those who do cooperate with each other are doing a very good thing. I hope no one suffers, regardless of their actions or attitude, and that the bills later on are manageable. I know that after the previous debacle, many owed a lot of money. Hopefully they've fixed that.

If I respond to you the way you are inviting me to, I will only hurt your feelings even more. My joke hurt your feelings and caused you pain. You felt disparaged. And for that I apologize. Jokes shouldn't hurt. It is cheap and way too easy to make a joke that punches down at the expense of people who are suffering.

So I think it's best for both of us that I decline to answer you beyond a simple apology for hurting your feelings and writing something that made you feel personally disparaged.

There is plenty of negative news out there about weather and states and the electrical grids and the environment, some of which involves Texas. I don't think we need to rehash the negativity that we are all already well aware of. If you or others wish to do so, have at it. I'm not going to argue with you.

I wish everyone well, including those who don't wish the same for me. Be well and stay cool.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

Which of these states has the highest wind energy potential?

• US wind energy by state: Top ten. ...
  • Texas – installed capacity 24,899MW. ...
  • Iowa – installed capacity 8,422MW. ...
  • Oklahoma – installed capacity 8,072MW. ...
  • California – installed capacity 5,885MW. ...
  • Kansas – installed capacity 5,653MW. ...
  • Illinois – installed capacity 4,861MW. ...
  • Minnesota – installed capacity 3,779MW. ...
  • Colorado – installed capacity 3,706MW. ...

Wind generation potential in the United States - Wi

Among the many companies who invest in wind energy include: GE, Siemans, Mitsubishi, RWE (German Co), Duke Energy. They invest in wind farms just like Exxon invests in drilling oil wells. 

And then there are jobs:

The wind resource in many parts of Texas is very large. Farmers may lease their land to wind developers, creating a new revenue stream for the farm. The wind power industry has also created over 24,000 jobs for local communities and for the state. Texas is seen as a profit-driven leader of renewable energy commercialization in the United States.

@granddi 

And just asking for a friend....so what are they going to do with these GIGANTIC windmills once they need to be replaced with new ones....same with solar panels, and same with all these lithioum batteries in electric cars.....🤔 Gee I hope they dont end up in a landfill and get into the water sources....And the windmills need electricity....and charging electric cars will put a strain on an already taxed grid....

And with increased and growing populations .....what if we need more land to grow FOOD but its now occupied by the windmills......🤔 And these windmills take a HUGE amount of land....So many questions but no answers....

Respected Contributor

I am now running the dishwasher since it's 10pm. Did a load of laundry this morning at 7 am. Thermostat is up to 77 with the shutters closed. No lights on unless we can't see. We are doing our part. Now ERCOT needs to do theirs. We learned back during Snowmageddon that only one of the ERCOT board members even lived in Texas. I hope that has changed by now. We have not lost power so far...for which we are grateful. This heat can be deadly. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@isaboo wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If I respond to you the way you are inviting me to, I will only hurt your feelings even more. My joke hurt your feelings and caused you pain. You felt disparaged. And for that I apologize. Jokes shouldn't hurt. It is cheap and way too easy to make a joke that punches down at the expense of people who are suffering.

So I think it's best for both of us that I decline to answer you beyond a simple apology for hurting your feelings and writing something that made you feel personally disparaged.

There is plenty of negative news out there about weather and states and the electrical grids and the environment, some of which involves Texas. I don't think we need to rehash the negativity that we are all already well aware of. If you or others wish to do so, have at it. I'm not going to argue with you.

I wish everyone well, including those who don't wish the same for me. Be well and stay cool.

Typical.

Condescending and deflecting because you don't have a good defense for your rudeness and generalization.