Honored Contributor

Re: TeleCheck Declined My Check!!

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

There was a time I wrote a check for our groceries, but it was always made out ahead of time and I needed to only fill in the amount.  It drives me nuts when someone pulls out a blank check and takes his/her sweet time writing out the check.

Now I use my Discover card to receive cash back rewards.  Some months it's 5% back of groceries.  I take my cash rewards once a year and it is always a big fat check for free money.

I don't even have to fill anything out on the check, the cash register prints out all the details and you only sign the receipt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Paying by check in a grocery line is too time consuming ... all you do is annoy all the customers behind you, and the clerk as well.  

Why would anyone still pay by check?

Use a credit card and pay if off every month.   

I pay by check and it doesn't take any longer than using my debit card.....

A credit card would be much, much safer.    A debit card is DIRECT link to your checking account.   One issue...and your checking account funds would be forever gone in a second.   

I totally agree to the Rewards-Back with a credit card.....it's nice to have a dividend check every quarter.  Free money!   PLUS security.

Honored Contributor

Ohh, I hate it when the line is held up!  Unless I'm first in line, I start writing my check before I'm being rung up.  When the cashier tells me the amount, I fill that in and it doesn't take but a minute more.  

I remember as a girl going to the grocery store with my grandmother.  She'd have her money in a tied up handerchief in her bosom, lol.  She'd take it out after being rung up, slowly with shaky hands (an illness when then I thought all old people had), untied it and slowly counted out her money. People, respectfully didn't say anything.  Guess she thought I was too young to count it for her.  It took sooooo long. Learned then not to hold up a line.

Imo, debit cards slow up the line, not checks.  I've had two and never used either.  After a while, I'd get a letter saying it was expired.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

A credit card would be much, much safer.    A debit card is DIRECT link to your checking account.   One issue...and your checking account funds would be forever gone in a second.   

I'm aware of that, however funds that are taken out in error are insured, so I'm not too worried.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I'm aware of that, however funds that are taken out in error are insured, so I'm not too worried.

That's true....if the retailer makes an error, they are responsible to correct.  BUT if there's skimming or any other countless breaches of security with the retailer (think Target or many other major retailers around this upcoming time of year), and all the funds are gone....you're out of luck.   Having the 3rd party credit card act as a buffer plays out in a positive manner in so many ways.     Just the act of getting dividends would be enough to entice me.  

Respected Contributor

I've never had it happen.  That said, if you're the second bank customer to report the problem, the bank and not you should be calling TeleChek to find out what's going on.  If the bank manager didn't offer to do so, or if you asked the manager to do so and the request was refused, you might want to consider voting with your feet and taking your business elsewhere.  Clearly, when the bank knows that there appears to be a problem which clearlyt is not related to the customers' accouts, the bank ought to take the lead in trying to resolve the matter.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@surfksurfk

You misunderstand the service. This is a clearing house. When you a write a check no matter where you are, the retailer is the one sending it through this system to basically verify that you are good for the funds.

It could be Walmart or Nordstroms. The check must clear this system

The problem is that the same service also approves credit cards so if there's something suspicious about a check, they'll also decline credit cards, or vice versa.  I found this out the hard way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I actually disagree that if your bank says it is ok that you should not call Telechek. Many many retailers use Telechek and they obviously have you in their by mistake if you know you don't have any outstanding checks. You should clear that up because no matter what the bank says, so many places use that to verify that you will most likely have this happen again should you write another check as so many places use this.

I use this service too and they do make mistakes so it is best that you just call up and get this straightened out. Good luck! I am sure it is just one of those annoying mistakes that will take more of your time on the phone than you would like to spend!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I actually disagree that if your bank says it is ok that you should not call Telechek. Many many retailers use Telechek and they obviously have you in their by mistake if you know you don't have any outstanding checks. You should clear that up because no matter what the bank says, so many places use that to verify that you will most likely have this happen again should you write another check as so many places use this.

I use this service too and they do make mistakes so it is best that you just call up and get this straightened out. Good luck! I am sure it is just one of those annoying mistakes that will take more of your time on the phone than you would like to spend!

Irshgirl, it's cleared up.  I spoke about it in post #36.  Thanks

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I see this was resolved, which is great...  I've had both a check and a card declined when there was even a brief period during which any of the computers along the line were down ... It happens.  It's a hassle, but it does.  I also had my local grocery repeatedly get a code for my checks when I opened a new checking account, even well after the ten or so they claimed it took for the code to come off.  Each time I, and those behind me, had to wait for a manager to come over and approve the check.  They never could explain why, so I stopped writing checks at that store altogether. Taken together, I think all of this is called 'customer service'.

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...