Honored Contributor

Re: TeleCheck Declined My Check!!

@chickenbutt wrote:

Foxxie - Yeah, checks really are pretty much obsolete so I wouldn't be surprised if the time came, very soon, when they would go away completely.

I don't use them anymore (well, unless I forget to get cash for the cleaning lady), and haven't for so many years that the last order of 2 boxes of checks were purchased about 15 years ago and I STILL have two or three books left.    

What is this word..."check"...everyone is saying? HHee!

Yes, checks are soooo quickly being phased out.  

I, too, have a box of checks in my desk drawer which are a Illin yrs old.

Never uses them anymore.

Bills are paid online & POS purchases go on my credit card with a one, end-of-the-month-pay-in-full pay online.  

Clean, efficient...reduction of fraud & errors.  Why don't more people do that? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
dp
Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hope they straighten it out.  Glad your money didn't disappear, anyway.

Surf - the OP said that she does not want to have a debit card.  

I read that. But why not a secured VISA then instead?

Really, the problem in understanding what the problem is lies in the fact that the OP doesn't know or hasn't found out or hasn't been told what the real reason was for the decline of the Telecheck in the first place.

So we're all left to sort of working in the dark here. There must be a reason it was declined. Maybe a simple glitch at the time of purchase. Maybe the fact she hadn't used the card in a while. Maybe something popped up as a red flag - from her past or as a mistake.

We just don't know enough about the financial history of the poster or what the reason was for the decline.

Telecheck doesn't know. Her bank doesn't know. She doesn't know.

So why would any of us know? lol

Esteemed Contributor

I made a very large ($3500.00) purchase at Lowe's two days ago using my debit card and it was declined.  I knew the funds were there so I called my bank and it seems that I have a limit of $3000.00 a day for debit transactions.  I spoke to one of the supervisors who asked me some questions in order to verify my identity and then raised my dail total to $4000.00 for a 24 period so my purchase would go through.  I ran the card again and it processed.

Trusted Contributor

TELE-CHECK is the verification point for a merchant to accept your check.  It doesn't matter what bank YOU have.  It depends on the MERCHANT you are doing business with. A Bazillion years ago, people would write a check to their local merchant and said mwerchant would call the BANK and ask if there were sufficient funds to cover check.  They would get a yes or no and the tellers name.  One day someone came up with the BRILLIANT idea of ONE place to authorize All checks for merchants and named it TELECHECK.  Like a young man who came up with FACEBOOK, MICROSOFT, APPLE.    anyway--TELECHECK would give MERCHANT a verification of funds available at the time AND guarantee payment.  So merchants paid a subscription and monthly fee for this wonderfull service.  I know this because I am OLD and worked in credit in a small jewelery store and when credit was obtained we phoned bank,employer, all their charge account i.e., sears,montgomery ward,etc,etc, to see if they were credit worthy.   Telechecheck came about in this time frame and I often called them on different sales made by checks.      Sorry for rambles.    tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I made a very large ($3500.00) purchase at Lowe's two days ago using my debit card and it was declined.  I knew the funds were there so I called my bank and it seems that I have a limit of $3000.00 a day for debit transactions.  I spoke to one of the supervisors who asked me some questions in order to verify my identity and then raised my dail total to $4000.00 for a 24 period so my purchase would go through.  I ran the card again and it processed.

I got declined for a large purchase also one time. Now I call Chase and tell them I am going to make a large purchase before I go. I also call them when we are going on vacation and tell them where. They will decline charges made out of state too....

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, it's good to know that there is probably a daily limit using your debit card.  I never thought of that and, now, I wonder what my limit is.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

That happened to me before. It's a daily limit on the debit amount on the account. I found out the hard way my bank has a $200 debit card/telecheck daily use limit.

That's why I take cash with me and use that at stores. I don't want that happening again.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Don't want to take off topic, but....it almost scares me to see people using a debit card at the POS.    

This is the time of year where fraud is ramping up.  Please consider using a credit card instead of a direct-link-to-all-my-chkg-account-debit-card. Please, consider a credit card to pay off every month. 

Honored Contributor

If people want to write checks, it's really their own business.  There are some places I have to write a check.  My alarm company for one. They don't accept credit cards and I'm not driving out there to hand them cash.  It's a small, locally owned company and I'm sure they don't want the cash to worry about in their small office.

There are many smaller businesses around me that are now adding on a percentage to your bill if you pay using a credit or debit card because they don't want to incur the fee they are charged.