Esteemed Contributor

Re: TeleCheck Declined My Check!!

Yes, you need to call them. Don't you want to know what is wrong? It does not matter if the bank states that there is not a problem, perhaps this is something that occurred years ago and is just now popping up. You need to clear this up so that you do not have to be inconvenienced again.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Our local Publix uses this same method I think.    I was there recently with a friend who wrote a check -- came back declined. (As everyone else has said more than enough funds).

She contacted Wells Fargo (her bank) they told her she had written several other checks and this was the reason her check was not accepted through their checking clearing house (telecheck).

Apparently, she had written checks to drs. office, WalMart and Publix all in the same few hours. And the retailer uses the telecheck system  -  declines the transaction.  

I'm thinking this may have been what happened to you as I do not write checks frequently and since all the problems with BOA debit cards I am into using CASH and I'm seeming to spend less!

Wish it were that simple, homedecor.  Actually, this account is almost never used.  My other account the bill paying account.  This one is an emergency account a couple of blocks from the house.  Since I retired last month, I didn't want to use the regular because of automatic pays coming through.  That account won't have any deposits until my pension starts so I was being careful by not using it.

I hate debit cards.  Don't have one.  Some are saying checks are obsolete, though.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@surfksurfk

You misunderstand the service. This is a clearing house. When you a write a check no matter where you are, the retailer is the one sending it through this system to basically verify that you are good for the funds.

It could be Walmart or Nordstroms. The check must clear this system

Honored Contributor

Foxxie - Yeah, checks really are pretty much obsolete so I wouldn't be surprised if the time came, very soon, when they would go away completely.

I don't use them anymore (well, unless I forget to get cash for the cleaning lady), and haven't for so many years that the last order of 2 boxes of checks were purchased about 15 years ago and I STILL have two or three books left.    

Esteemed Contributor

Geez, could Telecheck have somehow been tampered with, hacked? 

I pay two bills with a check and mail them in - wouldn't want to have them refused.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Foxxie - Yeah, checks really are pretty much obsolete so I wouldn't be surprised if the time came, very soon, when they would go away completely.

I don't use them anymore (well, unless I forget to get cash for the cleaning lady), and haven't for so many years that the last order of 2 boxes of checks were purchased about 15 years ago and I STILL have two or three books left.    

chickenbutt, everytime there's a slow up in the line, it about a debit card.  Usually by an old person like me, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

It happened to me about 35 years ago..someone in another state used my drivers license number...bank thinks they probably just made one up, lucky me!

amyway, back In those days I used checks for everything, so I called and got it cleared up..it wa actually a man using it...

these days, I NEVER write checks to Merchants so I probably wouldn t even know if there was a problem...consider yourself lucky that you found out and DO get to the bottom of it....

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I am going to call TeleCheck tomorrow morning to get to the bottom of things.  I know my account wasn't hacked because, as I said, I stopped at the bank immediately after the incident but I'm curious.

Valued Contributor

Can't one simply request a debit/VISA card from one's primary bank though? One doesn't have to write a check or use some go-between service.

It just seems that anything that doesn't require ID but which does require one more layer of clearance could be a potential problem. As you have found to be true.

Even credit cards can be declined sometimes though if they haven't been used in a while. Banks track usage as well as one's credit availability. If one suddenly makes a big purchase, it can require bank card clearance. Or its denied until you call the bank card so they can confirm its you if they catch that the card hasn't been used in a while.

Its why its not always something one wants to do...but its usually a good idea to use any of these cards on a regular basis. Systems keep track of anything out of the ordinary - including "suddenly" using a card after perhaps months of not using it.

I just still don't "get" the benefit really of going through Telecheck.

You may, instead, want to open a secured VISA card account. No one can then dip into your checking or savings using a debit card. And one doesn't need to use Telecheck sorts of in-betweens either. Put or transfer some monies onto that sort of a card and then use it. Most everywhere accepts VISA (as the commercials all say). Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Hope they straighten it out.  Glad your money didn't disappear, anyway.

Surf - the OP said that she does not want to have a debit card.