Contributor

That is not true.  You have no right to know why someone is taking a day or days off.  That is confidential information.  The district would be in trouble if they told you.  

Contributor

If a teacher is taking days they are legally allowed to take, there is no problem.  Believe me, HR would be contacting the teacher if there was an issue.  Teachers do not have to justify taking time off work, as long as it is within their rights through their CBA (contracted bargaining agreement).  

Contributor

No, you don't.   You do not have a right to know why someone takes a day off work.  The HR department will be sure that absences meet the criteria in their CBA (collective bargaining agreement).  Chances are if the subs aren't teaching, they aren't certified in that area, but there is no one else to do it.  We are incredibly short on subs, so there might not be a sub in that content area.  Even if they left plans, the sub couldn't teach them.  They have to have someone in the room to supervise, so it might become a study hall.  

Contributor

That is on the district if they allow teachers to go on vacation.  My district does not allow us to use personal/sick days for vacation, and teachers have been disciplined because of it.

Contributor

You have no idea what teaching is like today.  Teachers in my building spend every waking minute trying to help every child in their classroom.  They are awake at night trying to figure out the best way to reach their students.  We have had teachers develop health issues because of it.  

Teachers also put in an incredible amount of their own time.  You can barely answer emails in the 35 minute break you get if you are lucky.  I work at least 10 extra hours every week preparing for my students and doing paperwork.  I also work all summer improving my units, creating new resources, and preparing for the start of school.  

If it is so easy to be a teacher and you have so much time off, you would be crazy not to give it a try.  We are desperate for subs, but I am not sure how many days you would last!

Super Contributor

@hckynutjohn , I agree.  I did have a son who went to public schools, so I recognize the significance of paying into the system.  But, if parents want their children in a school that can offer better education for their child, they should be given monetary credits to apply to their childrens education. 

By the time my son was in high school, he was in a class of 400+.  The school today lists grades 9-12 has an enrollment of 2,304.  Imagine that!  He was swallowed up by the total number of classmates, We couldn't afford private school, but we did try to make sure he studied and excelled.  

We need to ensure children get the best education they can.  Sitting in a classroom, with no study plan, or no teacher doesn't give me confidence that children will get much out of high school.  Whatever it takes to educate the kids, helps our country.  And if that means being able to provide financial means to pull a child out of public school systems and place them into private schools, then that is money worth spending.  So yes, I'm all for the money following the child.

Respected Contributor

@new nickname 4 

"We need to ensure children get the best education they can.  Sitting in a classroom, with no study plan, or no teacher doesn't give me confidence that children will get much out of high school.  Whatever it takes to educate the kids, helps our country.  And if that means being able to provide financial means to pull a child out of public school systems and place them into private schools, then that is money worth spending.  So yes, I'm all for the money following the child."

I agree with you.  Some children will excel whether they are in public or private schools.  Some children, on the other hand, will have problems in school no matter what school they attend.  It may not always be the schools fault why some children don't progress.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't read through the whole thread, but my first reaction to the OP is, students need to learn how to prepare when assignments are first presented; that is the time to get prepared, not at the last minute to cram. That's real life, baby.

Respected Contributor

I might be in the minority here but I don't feel you should get private school for free.  If you want private, then you should pay for it.  As the product of parochial school myself, I see how my parents sacrificed some things so my siblings and I could attend.  

And going forward, my kids attended parochial school, too.  And coming full circle, my daughter works in a Catholic school.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@Kmac444 

Would you agree that even if a sub is not credited in a certain subject, they could supervise and direct learning if plans were appropriate?  Most students have their tablets where they have access to some learning sites.  Textbooks still exist for reading,  etc.  Some type of learning can go on if care given to plans.  Those plans, however, are not last minute plans for unexpected absences.  I am referring to absences known ahead.  

I often questioned myself why each teacher has to reinvent the wheel when it comes to planning.  There should be more sharing of things that work but I guess that might show which teachers are not giving their all as compared to their colleagues.  Writing tests,  worksheets, etc takes many hours.