Respected Contributor

@RetRN "@manny2, most of them have no idea how good they've got it. The few really good ones do understand. How do we teach our kids a good work ethic when they see these adults who have little to no work ethic?"

I worked as a teacher's assistant many years ago.  The reasons for teachers missing work were laughable.  One teacher missed work when it rained because she didn't want to take her child out in the rain to take her to day care.  Another teacher missed work because of her child's dance lessons, etc.  I agree with you RetRn they don't realize how good they got it.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  And this is why both parents and taxpayers need to continue to attend public School Board meetings and ask for accountability. 

Of course, questions don't need to be answered.  They rarely are.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@manny2, most of them have no idea how good they've got it. The few really good ones do understand. How do we teach our kids a good work ethic when they see these adults who have little to no work ethic?

I agree @RetRN I am tired of hearing they are underpaid. They are paid quite well for working 9 month out of the year. 

I had to work and observe in both private and public schools. I saw things that looked great on paper, but not so much in practice. 

Esteemed Contributor

When my son was senior in H.S., he took a physics class.  He wanted to major in Astrophysics and Math in college, (which he did and graduated in Dec. 2021)  This woman physics teacher was continually absent, day after day, for weeks on end.  The kids learned nothing for months.  Parents complained.  But the school administrators told us they had to follow "procedures."  She was finally fired before the end of December.  The students suffered while the administrators had to do the legal dance with the teachers union.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@manny2, most of them have no idea how good they've got it. The few really good ones do understand. How do we teach our kids a good work ethic when they see these adults who have little to no work ethic?

I agree @RetRN I am tired of hearing they are underpaid. They are paid quite well for working 9 month out of the year. 

I had to work and observe in both private and public schools. I saw things that looked great on paper, but not so much in practice. 

@manny2 Maybe quite well by your standards, certainly not mine. In some cities, teachers can't even afford to rent in the district in which they teach. If teachers were babysitters (which many seem to think we are) earning just $5 an hour per student, we would earn $255,060 annually. Let me help you... $5 x 7 hours/day x 30 students x 180 schoold days.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Regular Contributor

I, too, have a junior in high school.  He frequently states his teachers are absent.  He will also state that sometimes there aren't any substitute teachers so he spends that period shoved in another teacher's classroom sitting on the floor not doing anything. Another thing he will talk about is that a lot of times the bathrooms are locked and he is unable to use one unless he goes to the football room.

The district, so far, has only been able to answer these concerns (presented by many parents) by stating there is a substitute teacher shortage and the bathrooms are locked because too many students cause mischief while in there...such as smoking weed.  My son attends the best public high school in our town. 

I am close to many teachers in this district and I feel bad for them.  They appear to be overworked and underappreciated within our district. Our superintendent just abruptly resigned and the general consensus in town is that is a great thing.  Time will tell. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Teacher Absences

[ Edited ]

You should address your concerns to the headmaster of the school but NOT the teachers.  I think teachers are people too and they have all of the "life" stuff that all other employees have.  So, they have to take time off.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@manny2 Maybe quite well by your standards, certainly not mine. In some cities, teachers can't even afford to rent in the district in which they teach. If teachers were babysitters (which many seem to think we are) earning just $5 an hour per student, we would earn $255,060 annually. Let me help you... $5 x 7 hours/day x 30 students x 180 schoold days.

That doesn’t apply to just teachers @Love to Run  a lot of people can’t afford to live in the same community where they work. Why do you think so many work in NYC, and commute. They can’t afford to live there.

Respected Contributor

Like any profession there's bound to be bad apples. But teachers have been disparaged for years and years by those who aren't familiar with the setting or the behind the scenes red tape and politics. I'm a county school employee, and while not a teacher, I get to hear a lot of what goes on. 

Any concerns with teacher absences that don't feel justified, talk to the principal. Communication is key. And if you don't get answers, then keep going up the chain. 

Contributor

Teachers can be out for the same reasons everyone else can be out.  

*Covid or illness

*Training/workshop

*Curriculum meeting

*Family member Illness (these days are very limited)

*Doctor appointment

*Personal days (we are not allowed to use for vacation, only get 2 a year)

*Family emergency

*Induction meetings. (happen very frequently first three years of teaching only)