Trusted Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

@4kitties   Are private school teachers not required to ever attend seminars or training sessions as are public school teachers for continued learning and improvement?

ETA Teachers work so hard and give so much of their free time and money to help in the classroom.  It is frustrating to see them bashed repeatedly when they give and put forth so much effort.

mmmm-Lots of private school PD's are after school...

Trusted Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

We do private school.  No problems with teacher absences.

My daughter was in private school for 5 years (Kindergarten thru 4th grade).  After moving, attended public school in a highly rated school district.  When she took tests and just "little" quizzes the teacher gave to see where  students were, she was at a 3rd grade level math.  I kept in touch with those from the private school, showed them what she was doing in math, etc.  They were shocked.

@ScrapHappy   In our county, public school teachers are required to have advanced teaching accreditation than are those in private schools.

I am not shocked that the public schools were working ahead of the private schools.

In our district, both public and private require the same Teacher Accreditation.

Trusted Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@Mersha

You seem to have issues with private schools.   Well, we do not.  My grands are performing very well and my family is very happy with our school.

Agree! Also, the same Teaching Credentials are required here.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would discuss this issue with the school administration.  The parents have a right to know what is going on.

Do you have to share with everyone that might want to know, even if not on your work team, when you take a day off?   

Get off teachers' backs. 99% are outstanding at what they do and don't need more grief that parents and legislators are already giving them.

There are some that are outstanding @CalminHeart  I have worked within school systems, and 99% is way off. . 

I've also worked in the school system. I'm not way off.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@manny2, most of them have no idea how good they've got it. The few really good ones do understand. How do we teach our kids a good work ethic when they see these adults who have little to no work ethic?

I agree @RetRN I am tired of hearing they are underpaid. They are paid quite well for working 9 month out of the year. 

I had to work and observe in both private and public schools. I saw things that looked great on paper, but not so much in practice. 

When do you think teachers grade work?  After school and weekends.

When do you think teachers go for further education so they can be better?  After school, weekends, summers.

When do you think teachers read and study to prepare for future classes? After school, weekends, summers.

When do you think teachers meet with parents?  After school, weekends.

When do you think teachers advocate for kids?  After school, weekends, summers.

When do you think teachers learn new techniques, resources, etc?  After school, weekends, summers.

That's the tip of the iceberg.

Those who can, teach. Those who can't, don't have a clue.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

When my son was senior in H.S., he took a physics class.  He wanted to major in Astrophysics and Math in college, (which he did and graduated in Dec. 2021)  This woman physics teacher was continually absent, day after day, for weeks on end.  The kids learned nothing for months.  Parents complained.  But the school administrators told us they had to follow "procedures."  She was finally fired before the end of December.  The students suffered while the administrators had to do the legal dance with the teachers union.

You don't know what you don't know. If they followed HR procedures, they followed procedures.  Reasons are none of your business, especially if they are medical or FMLA.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

I might be in the minority here but I don't feel you should get private school for free.  If you want private, then you should pay for it.  As the product of parochial school myself, I see how my parents sacrificed some things so my siblings and I could attend.  

And going forward, my kids attended parochial school, too.  And coming full circle, my daughter works in a Catholic school.

I agree.  I sent my kids to private school K-8. That was my choice. I paid for it even though it was a struggle.  While they got a great education in this particular school (a lot of private schools indoctrinate into whatever ideaology they follow), they didn't have a clue about real life so I sent them to public high school and it was one of my best moves as a mom.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

A parent and/or taxpayer can ask anything they like at a Board meeting.

Of course, no one is required to respond,  but we have the ability to ask.

Don't be afraid Taxpayers and Parents!  It's your school.

OH YES! @Johnnyeager 

DEFINITELY!  Parents need to be at every school board meetings and ask, challenge and more!

As clearly shown in VA.  We need to KNOW what our children are being taught.

I'm just saying in NY, the Unions have a LOT of power and iron clad contracts that eliminate the change we as parents feel is needed.

The BEST thing is to elect proper board members who will stand up for our children and not just coddle to the Union.

RollTide:

YES< HIPPA DOES APPLY!!

No parent can go to in and ask why a teacher is absent.  Curriculum days are set by contract and public knowledge.

However, a teachers' absence due to medical OR personal can NOT be divulged.

It doesn't matter if it is a lengthy absence or not.....medical, mental, family, personal is protected information.

That is a dismissable offense and would have potential legal action against the district should medical information be divulged.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart "I agree.  I sent my kids to private school K-8. That was my choice. I paid for it even though it was a struggle.  While they got a great education in this particular school (a lot of private schools indoctrinate into whatever ideaology they follow), they didn't have a clue about real life so I sent them to public high school and it was one of my best moves as a mom."

I agree with you about people not having a clue about real life when they leave private school.  I went to private school for ten years.  When I started public school it was a shock to the system.  I had problems adjusting to different points of view, different lifestyles, etc.  I notice that people who have gone to private schools their whole lives have trouble adjusting to real life when they graduate from high school.

Contributor
It depends on the particular teacher. I teach middle school and I’m almost never absent. I have coworkers who use every single sick day every year.