Trusted Contributor

I also live in Arizona and had a pool for many years.

Like today, when the temps are over 110 I never used the pool as regardless of how much waterproof sunscreen I slathered on I ALWAYS got burned!  Also, when I got out of the pool I always rushed inside as it was too beastly hot to lounge outside.  Our "summer" runs from May through October.

Our "winters" here are too cold to use the pool.

Honored Contributor

Re: Swimming pool

[ Edited ]

We had a 16 x 32 Doughboy above ground pool for around 26 years. It does take some work & expense to keep it running.

We had to buy a solar cover for ours to get the water warm so we could use it. Even though it gets really hot here we still needed it. It was a hassle putting on & removing it.

We had a vacuum for it so keeping it clean was easy. We ran the filter so many hours per day. We shocked the pool every once in a while & kept the chlorine level where it needed to be. We also used copper algaecide. Those 3 products were mainly what we used. The pool company will sell you all kinds of stuff you really don't need.

We were only able to use our pool from May 31st til end of Aug fro 3 months. Once the temperature at night starts dropping it sucks the heat out of the pool.

I have been swimming since I was in first grade. I spent hours in the pool every day. DH used to ask when are we eating dinner. LOL!!!

Our pool was chlorine. If we were installing an inground pool I would buy salt water. Since we did not have one of those I don't know much about them other than I prefer swimming in the salt water vs the chlorine. The salt water pool will cost more in the beginning to install but in the long run it costs less per year for maintenance from what I have heard.

We removed ours a few years back. DH filled the hole with dirt since it already had a lot of sand there from the pool. He put down sod.

We now have the property where it will be easier for us to care for as we age if we decide to stay here.

I would say owning a pool will take longer to sell your house or that's what the Realtors say. Some people are looking for a pool but most don't want to deal with.

Honored Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl 

When my parents bought a house with a pool, they had a million dollar rider added to the insurance policy. The yard was fenced, but still if someone uses the pool and is injured, you can be sued.  Something to consider.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Swimming pool

[ Edited ]

@Jayhawk Girl I put an in ground pool/spa almost 2 years ago.  Salt water is the latest craze.....moving into water plants, fish, etc....yes....my sis works for a national pool and spa org.  It's a personal preference.  Very little upkeep with new pools....- we have a vacuum/filter on for 1 hour per day.  We dump a couple of chemicals in it twice a week.  In our SoCal market putting in a pool is 50/50 win/lose.  I'm not planning on selling anytime soon. 

Just research pool companies.  Things go wrong on any build.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

We have installed pools in our last two homes.  The last home we sold was not a problem to sell - the family who bought it was pleased the pool was already there and that they didn't have to go through the installation.  We live in the SE and it is HOT!  We do have a gas heater that allows us to extend the season at both ends.  Our pool upkeep is minimal.  We check the chemicals regularly and adjust as needed.  We vacuum every week or two as needed. We do pay our pool company to open and close the pool each season.  They are the pros and know how to do it properly and efficiently.  Our pool is a salt water system.  We love our pool and feel very fortunate to have one.  BTW - we live five minutes from the Atlantic Ocean but rarely swim there because of the dangerous riptides.  Good luck with your decision!

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl 

When my parents bought a house with a pool, they had a million dollar rider added to the insurance policy. The yard was fenced, but still if someone uses the pool and is injured, you can be sued.  Something to consider.  

That would be my concern too.  You would have to be constantly vigilant.  I am in SoCal & as soon as summer starts there are always a few news stories about accidental drownings of small children. 

I would love a pool but the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl 

@lolakimono 

We always kept our gate locked but that won't keep kids out that want in.

Our neighbor wanted me to let her girls come over to swim daily. I told her I did not have time to babysit. She did not come over with them the first time I told her I would be swimming so they could come over. I was not setting up when I wanted to swim to when they were available to swim? They did not know how to swim anyways?

I have been swimming since 1st grade. I took all the swimming classes from beginners to lifeguard.

Respected Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl: We put one in two summers ago and went with recommended 50/50.  It’s wonderful and we love it including our dog family members.  

The main recommendation I would make is for the landscaping.  The water displacement plays havoc on the acreage around the pool more than we anticipated.

Also, go ahead and get professional weekly pool maintenance. It’s just worth it.

Happy days!!!  Enjoy 😊

Respected Contributor

My (then) husband and I designed a pool with underwater lighting, paddling pool, curved steps you could sit on by adjustable massage jets. Even if it was just a small, basic pool, I will never again install one or buy a house that already has a pool. Not everyone has a convenient place  but I can go elsewhere if I want to do water aerobics at any time of year. Where I live now my next door neighbors have a beautiful pool. The water and pipes can freeze in winter and the water gets uncomfortably hot in the summer which is when one would normally go swimming to cool off. Anyway, I'd say most people who know anything about pools or have had experience with cleaning and maintaining the adequate chemical balance would hesitate to buy a house with a pool. Buyer beware.

Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Thank you all so much for your thoughts, opinions, ideas and some things I hadn’t thought about.  We have no plans to move anytime soon; the plan is to live here til, well, you know! We are in Kansas so, the window is a short season. We both want to do this and have allowed a large budget for pool, fence, landscaping and higher utilities. My biggest fear is what I’ve heard some people say....that they get tired of it and I loved the “stick of dynamite on each end” comment!! 

We should receive the bid any day.....guess we’ll see! Thanks again for the input.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!