Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I have a neighbor who has been trying to sell their house for years and the major impediment is the swimming pool. So think hard about it.

@Bhvbum      I guess I do not do things in my home based on selling it down the road.  I do what makes ME HAPPY.  When I sell the home, things can be changed and removed...    Yes a pool is not easy to remove... but someone will come along and if the pool is well taken care of there will be a buyer out there somewhere. 

I am going to spend $15,000 for an whole house generator... because I want the security of having power when it goes out occationally in the winter here in Seatte.   The power hardly ever goes out, but, when it does... I want to have POWER.  SO for me this is an investment in my happiness and my feeling safe and secure.

Some people would see this as  stupid... but not me. That is all that matters. Not what other people see as not necessary.     Why would someone base doing something in their home  for  selling it in the future??  Life is short..... do what makes YOU HAPPY.

I like the way you think!

Trusted Contributor

When my first husband was alive, he was a great swimmer and wanted a house with a pool. So, once our daughter got to the age she could enjoy it (about 7 years old) we bought a house with a pool and a BIG yard.  That pool got a workout!  It was party time most weekends at our house most of the year.  We loved it.  I don't swim, but I enjoyed dipping in the pool to keep cool and sitting in the shade with a nice drink watching everyone play.  We were younger then, and it was wonderful fun!  We could heat it in the 2 or 3 months in winter if we wanted to use it then, too, and sometimes did.

Once our daughter was almost ready to graduate college, my husband's health began to go downhill. Daughter moved away after graduation and the pool parties stopped.  We rarely used the pool anymore and we moved to a house with NO pool. Ours is the only house in our neighborhood without one.  After my husband passed away I was glad not to have to deal with the extra expense and maintenance of a pool.

In Vegas, most people have pools, especially if they have kids.  No question it is an expense, but if you use it, then great!  It can be cheap fun.  If you don't--my second husband and I aren't swimmers--it is an expensive pain in the posterior!  I don't think it hurts your home's resale value in the Mojave Desert, but it might elsewhere.

Valued Contributor

We've lived in our house 26 years.  When we bought it the owners had just put a 18 x 36 built in pool in.  They were transferred out of state.

I have loved our pool.  And we don't have a lot of company, either.  Yes, it's work but so is a cottage, a boat, etc. etc.  Our pool is chlorine -  it's worked fine.  

We've put a liner in once and we need one in the next year.  

My husband calls it "your pool".  He does all the maintenance himself (tests the water, etc.).  

He jokes (but's half serious) that he'd just as soon get someone out here to excavate and fill it in but the way our backyard is situated, it's a wonderful view and I'm hoping when we sell in the next few years the pool won't be a detriment.  *I think that's more years ago people didn't want a house with a pool.  

Even though it's just us now, it's very relaxing to walk out your door, no trip to the beach, no noise, no sand.  I will miss having it when we move.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven’t read all the replies.  I am retired and live in a climate with four seasons.  I live on a lake and swim there for exercise four months out of the year.  The rest of the year I swim ar our competition pool.  I swim an hour’s five days a week.

If I were to install a pool, I would put in a lap pool with resistance.  They take up minimal space and serve the exercise purpose.  I am not one for sitting around a pool.  Because I live on such a beautiful lake, I don’t think it is a good investment at this stage of my life (64).

In our area, it is not an asset having a pool when it comes to real estate.  It is more of a hindrance in house sales.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Swimming pool

[ Edited ]

@Jayhawk Girl :  When I lived in CA we bought the only house on a cul de sac that didn't have a pool.  Shortly thereafter the builder built a home for himself there and offered to do a deal where we could have a decent in ground for 15k (20 years ago).  I quickly made a "no pool" decision and my 10 yr old pouted so I told him "make nice with the neighbor kids and you'll swim"(he did).  Instead of the pool we bought 6 mtns a year at a beach RV park.  Our closest neighbor has a beautiful home (and trying to save money) hired a non licensed contractor to upgrade their pool.  He really ruined it (I saw the photos) and 72k later she had to sue him for damages. Btw, two years later her pool is unusable!  Now we live in the mountains we have a nice above ground pool ($300) and we put it up and take it down 3 mths later. Another friend in CA had a huge above ground pool and they built a raised deck around it (they had it for years).

Honored Contributor

Re: Swimming pool

[ Edited ]

My Dad has a 20’ x 40’ in ground pool.

I would never spend the time, or resources on one given the little use it gets.

Then there is the liability, and resulting 10’ chain link fence, locks, signs, and added insurance cost.

And the huge push to OPEN and CLOSE it each year!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl ---

just read the latest posts and want to add two thoughts.

First check with the better business bureau and you local or state liscense board to check credentials and reviews of the company. There are some real sharks out there.

Once done, my second thought is to add solar if cost isn't a factor. We have solar panels on the roof , so don't need to fire up the pool heater.

Honored Contributor

In my mom's neighborhood there are several homes with pools, two inground and one above ground pool. The one home with an inground pool hasn't sold and it has been on the market for over a year, so now they have rented it out. The other inground pool home sold very quickly, but the family soon found out the pool needed some work, and the family that moved in with the above ground pool immediately had it removed.

We live in Wisconsin, and you really only get about 3 good months of warm enough weather to swim in.....So around here I would say it isn't worth it, but depending on where you live and how much work you want to put unto it would be the deciding factor. 

I worked years ago with a woman who had an inground pool(beautiful) and they used it so much in the warm months, they got a lot of use of it, especially when their daughter was young, now not so much.....I would really do a lot of investigating and checking before doing it if you don't live somewhere warm......