Super Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I guess we are talking about two different things. It sounds like you’re talking about a portable generator. I’m talking about one that powers most, if not all, of the house when the power goes out. In the case of the latter one I get maintenance on it once a year and I get the propane tank filled once a year. Different from using a portable generator, and different from maintaining a pool.

I do pay for the maintenance of the generator and the propane. But for me the only labor involved is picking up the telephone. 

eta Fortunately we live in America so we can do what we want within the law and whatever we feel benefits us more

You sound as though you enjoy it immensely. That is what matters most, isn’t it.  

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Big difference between standby generator and a pool. One takes care you; you take care of the other. 

@esmerelda   actually there is a lot of upkeep with a generator... filling the propane tanks$$$ after every use.... and after more than 2 days of continuous use you have to have the generator's oil changed and other things  to prepare it for the next time....   that costs if you have a company do it for you as I would.

@SeaMaidenI don't know how long mine has run continuously...maybe 2 or 3 days...but I still kept with the annual maintenance and didn't need to call for more propane afterward.  Mine runs once a week for 15 minutes ("exercising") and even with that and the occasional outage, I only get propane once a year.  Maybe you need bigger tanks.

We will have two (2)  110 gallon above ground propane tanks.    The 500 gallon buried tank was not an option for us in our yard.   Thus, not as much propane stored as you probably have. 

Honored Contributor

would love to put a pool in our home, but the beach home works for us year round when we want to spend time at the ocean or around a pool.

we have homes on our street and around our area that have in ground pools. it has not been an issue when those homes have sold.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: Swimming pool

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on where you live. In our town a pool is a plus.  

We have inground . Our pool was here when we bought the house and we redid it. At the time salt water was not an option. My neighbor has a salt water pool and loves it.

The only negative here is that they are not covered by insurance for earthquake. The last quake felt here caused the skimmer basket to jam and the pump went dry. mr henny panicked, thought we had broken a pipe. He primed the pump and all was good. Phew!

If you think you would enjoy the pool and cost is not a factor, I would go for it.

By the way we have a weekly pool service. Figure that into the budget and go for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Big difference between standby generator and a pool. One takes care you; you take care of the other. 

@esmerelda   actually there is a lot of upkeep with a generator... filling the propane tanks$$$ after every use.... and after more than 2 days of continuous use you have to have the generator's oil changed and other things  to prepare it for the next time....   that costs if you have a company do it for you as I would.

@SeaMaiden @esmerelda Our generator is hooked to the natural gas supply.  It tests once a week, is hooked to wi-fi and we get a text.  It has scheduled maintenance once a year.

We opted for a hot tub with our last house--getting too old to keep up with the pool thing!  We're happy with that. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My word of advices is DON’T. I live in Arizona where most people have one but never use it for the most part and we filled ours in about 8 years ago. It was a decision we made when it was either $6000 to fill it in or $8000 to fix it.  It was expensive (our electric bill dropped $200 per month after filling it in), we could count on one hand how many times a year we used it. It was either to hot, to cold, dirty, chemicals out of wack, to sunny to enjoy it. The list goes on. After the first few years it seems something always needs repair. The cleaning system needs fixing,  pebbletek needs to be redone, cool deck refinished yada, yada, yada. Do I miss it when it’s 110 degrees? Nope. And don’t forget about the potential for little kids to drown. Someone always has to be there to watch the little darlings. You have to have a fence around it (not a problem because all houses in Arizona come with a 6” fence). The cost of chemicals has gone through the roof. We used to call it ye ole money pit.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@SeaMaidenI don't know how long mine has run continuously...maybe 2 or 3 days...but I still kept with the annual maintenance and didn't need to call for more propane afterward.  Mine runs once a week for 15 minutes ("exercising") and even with that and the occasional outage, I only get propane once a year.  Maybe you need bigger tanks.

We will have two (2)  110 gallon above ground propane tanks.    The 500 gallon buried tank was not an option for us in our yard.   Thus, not as much propane stored as you probably have. 

@SeaMaidenI have one 100-gallon/420-pound tank.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

A lot of maintenance, a lot of work and a lot of expense. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl wrote:

We’re thinking about putting in an in ground swimming pool.  The latest seems to be the salt water option.  Do any of you have any thoughts on this?  Also, any other “pool building” words of wisdom are most welcome!!  

I live in the Southeast now and have an in ground pool.  When moving here, we knew we wanted a pool, if not we were going to build one.  Luckily, we found a house that had one and we love having it.  The genator and the machinery itself is complicated.  We have a pool company that comes once a week to clean the pool and maintain and clean which costs $200.  We tried to take over that and save the $200 a month and had Leslie Pools Pool School come out and teach out the in's and out's of all that machinery. It was overwhelming to say the least.  Even for my husband and he can do just about anything.  We changed to a salt water pool about a year ago.  At first I wasn't too happy about it but I was thinking it was going to by like swimming in the ocean and it's not like that at all.  You can't even tell it's salt water, you CAN tell there is NO chemical smell.  I also like the use of no chemicals.  I shouldn't say none because there are some you still need to use but it very minimal.  The cost to switch to salt water was $4000.  Even though we live in a neighborhood with an association pool, many homes have pools.  And many have changed to salt water.  We don't close our pool for winter, no one does here.  No pool cover either.  We did look into it and asked the guy from Leslie Pool Services when he came out for that pool school thing, but the cost was so high.  Their is a substantial cost of closing the pool for winter and re-opening in the summer.  It's in the thousands, at least here.  We get a lot of use out of our pool, it also has a heater.  We don't use that too often because it's real expensive to warm it up.  If I lived elsewhere, like up North, I'm not sure we'd have a pool.  From the time kids go back to school and winter versus time it's actually used and cost, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.  Around here, a very basic in ground pool is in the $50k-$70k range.  We had to replace the vaccuum robot and that was $800. 

Respected Contributor

First, talk to local realtors about whether or not a pool hurts resale values in your area. They can keep people from even looking at a house.

Second, understand the maintenance work and costs.