Respected Contributor

Seatrade Maritime

Simon Heaney, Drewry’s senior manager of Container Research, has revealed that the shipping consultancy has put back its forecast of when global supply chains are likely to return to normal.

Speaking at a Container Market Outlook webinar, he said that Drewry had recently predicted that supply chain problems would ease by the end of the second quarter of 2022. Now, though, the firm expects disruption to extend throughout the whole of 2022.

The view is similar to that of fellow analysts Sea-Intelligence who said earlier this month that container shipping would not return to normality until the end of 2022.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

There isn't really a trucker shortage.

The problem is mostly CA and their refusal to let Independent Truckers work in the state.

You MUST be part of a Union or forget it.

They signed legislation and refuse to rescind or put a stop on the order.

We have THOUSANDS of independents that are not allowed to operate in CA.

I am NOT an expert on the industry and only have what I'm told by companies when it comes to shipping being so slow. If what you say is true, then this entire mess can be placed on the lap of CA and those who not only passed these laws but REFUSE to see the greater need of the country and put a hold on it until the situation is better under control. Wish this would play on the national news so everyone would be aware of it. 

@FiddleDeeDee 

I heard it on the radio news on Friday....I found this in a search

"California’s shipping backlog is, in part, caused by a “California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.”

Trusted Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Pile Up

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm   If this has been all over the news, then discussions about "why" wouldn't be taking place. I asked DH just now and he hadn't heard about this. I asked a few friends back in MD this afternoon and they hadn't heard about it. These are people (like myself) who work, drive a distance to the office, are around others and we're all wondering why the shipping/ports are so backed up. All we've heard is "nobody wants to work so things are sitting there". Oh really now. Hmm.

That said, what @RespectLife  posted makes me wonder if it is NOW being broadcasted all over because people are getting fed up and they want/need to know who/what is the cause. They're contacting whomever the Powers That Be where they live and demanding answers; who knows. But this is definitely not what the pat answer has been for months now.

Last, this really ticks me off regarding CA and it's politics/policy. Yeah, I know people like to dump on CA...right now, I can't blame them. This is STUPID and absolutely fixable. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Lucky Charm   If this has been all over the news, then discussions about "why" wouldn't be taking place. I asked DH just now and he hadn't heard about this. I asked a few friends back in MD this afternoon and they hadn't heard about it. These are people (like myself) who work, drive a distance to the office, are around others and we're all wondering why the shipping/ports are so backed up. All we've heard is "nobody wants to work so things are sitting there". Oh really now. Hmm.

That said, what @RespectLife  posted makes me wonder if it is NOW being broadcasted all over because people are getting fed up and they want/need to know who/what is the cause. They're contacting whomever the Powers That Be where they live and demanding answers; who knows. But this is definitely not what the pat answer has been for months now.

Last, this really ticks me off regarding CA and it's politics/policy. Yeah, I know people like to dump on CA...right now, I can't blame them. This is STUPID and absolutely fixable. 

@FiddleDeeDee   I misunderstood.  I thought you meant you hadn't heard of the pile up of containers---that whole situation.