Respected Contributor

Supply Chain Pile Up

[ Edited ]

I don't understand why we are relying on a certain "part" of the U.S. to take care of this.

Aren't all these cargo ships controlled by private equities?

Couldn't all these Corporations involved "hire" one person to get everyone together and get these ships unloaded?

I would think everyone in the U.S. would band together and take care of this issue.

Honored Contributor

I think we should send Admiral Harriman........

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1964)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I don't understand why we are relying on a certain "part" of the U.S. to take care of this.

Couldn't all these Corporations involved "hire" one person to get everyone together and get these ships unloaded?

I would think everyone in the U.S. would band together and take care of this issue.

I do not think it is as simple as banding together to take care of this issue....

Honored Contributor

Couldn't the Nat. Gu*rd come in and unload the cargo?  

Mainly for med. supplies, and other very important items that might eventually run out.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Pile Up

[ Edited ]

These issues go through the entire chain, from ship to  shelf.  It's not just the the ports.  Its not just a shortage of workers to unload the ships. Its the ship workers still on board. It’s the truckers, the rail companies, the operators and also those retail companies that are at the other end of those supply chains. People shifted their buying during the pandemic. They bought more groceries, more plastics, more toys, more electronics. There are shortages in components, resins to make plastics, chips. Gasoline prices have risen.  There are worker shortages. There were not enough unloaded containers available to load as needs arose. The cost of new containers has jumped. The supply of containers. It's not a simple, just pull up and unload thing. The chains are complicated. 

Respected Contributor

I saw on our local NBC station Friday evening that the container backlog is beginning to be resolved and the number backed up has diminished since President Biden intervened and the docks are now operating 24/7. They went on to say the shortage of truckers is now the problem and did a story on a local truckers' school.

On a personal level I ordered two tops from Tuesday's Denim and Co. show, and they were shipped early am Sunday. The USPS slowdown from the implementation of the new policy on October 1 seems to be my biggest problem.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Just Bling 

It's not just a certain "part" of the US, it's in every port in the US.

Even in my area, the GA Ports Authority, has lots of cargo ships anchored, waiting to unload and following the national mandate that all ports have to operate 24/7.

Then the containers from the ships sit stacked around the Port property for a 3 mile radius, because they can't get trucks to deliver them to the recipients.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Yes but WE ARE the United States of America and no feat is impossible.

Someone with talent and leadership can get this done.  It's going to take a coordinated effort and it could get cleaned up.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom    The "part" was that we are waiting for our "gov******'

to take care of this and not a reference to part of the country.

The way it's going, nothing is moving.and it sure looks like it's intentional that's why I don't understand why this affects private equities like the Q that someone out of that "area" can't take control and straighten this out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Pile Up

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom @Miami Herald is reporting that at our local port in Ft. Lauderdale, things are running smoothly. @Just Bling  I see no evidence that it's intentional. It might be beneficial to companies; allowing them to raise prices on goods, and these higher prices might stick in the long term, but it hurts sales for them right now if they can't get product to sell. I can't see any reason for government to want this. It benefits no one. How would entities benefit? Do you know something about this? I'm no wizard in this thing and I'm ready to learn.

I read this online. I'm not certain of it's accuracy or credibility, but it is possibly true:

"Experts say that one of the biggest reasons for the pile-up in ships is a shift in consumer spending habits as folks spend more time at home. 

"Consumers have shifted their spending from services to goods during the pandemic, and supply chains are struggling to keep pace," said Jeffrey Michael, executive director of the Center for Business and Policy Research at University of the Pacific. "The ports in Southern California are actually moving record levels of containers, but they haven’t been able to keep up with increased demand.

Shipping experts say that there is a peak customer order season that starts with back to school shopping in September and lasts through holidays in December. The ports can usually handle that surge in shipping containers coming to unload their cargo. But last year things were different due to COVID-related disruptions and labor shortages, according to Kip Louttit, executive director of the Marine Exchange of Southern California. 

"We had a peak season that was greater than normal a year ago and they haven't been able to clear it," Louttit said. "
Quoted from 

"No, back-up of cargo ships off Southern California coast not due to ‘manufactured supply-chain halt’by Isabella Fertel, Oct. 1,2021 in Politifact.