Honored Contributor

The National Guard does seem like a good idea.  My BFF drove a 'deuce and a half truck' in the Army.  I asked her how long it took her to learn and she laughed. ( A few minutes.)

If this is a temporary thing as some believe it is, then why not call in the NG?  They could help to get things rolling.

SMH at the idea of containers being left in residential areas.  OMGosh. 

Get a trucker that will truck it where it needs to go.  Call in the National Guard.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

The National Guard does seem like a good idea.  My BFF drove a 'deuce and a half truck' in the Army.  I asked her how long it took her to learn and she laughed. ( A few minutes.)

If this is a temporary thing as some believe it is, then why not call in the NG?  They could help to get things rolling.

SMH at the idea of containers being left in residential areas.  OMGosh. 

Get a trucker that will truck it where it needs to go.  Call in the National Guard.

To bad those pesky unions and government regulations get in the way.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Supply Chain Pile Up

[ Edited ]

There have been a few threads that have touched on specific topics regarding this situation. To summarize what I remember from those threads:

1) Shortage of truckers due to age (average being 54) and many retired as they made no money (they are paid by the mile/by the cargo) when everything shut down. Also, you have to be a specific age to drive, you have to attend-graduate-and then pass specific school which takes time and is costly. You can't hurry that up. 

2) CA passed laws so not all trucks can drive into CA. This limits what is already a shortage of trucks that can be used to haul out the cargo once it is unpacked.

3) Shipping routes are owned/controlled by specific companies. (On this, I am not versed the way others here are). Instead of only going to CA, why not other ports. FL is up and working and DeSantis has made it very clear that FL ports can handle the cargo as the infrastructure is in place due to the cruise lines

4) Customs is SLOW. You're not going to hurry them up and apparently they aren't hiring any more (this is true at the Tampa port the last time I read something about it). This wasn't an issue when we had a constant flow and ebb of shipments. Now, it's overwhelming but they still have to do their job (which hasn't changed nor has the amount of paperwork).

When you look at these things together, it's logical that shipping is a mess. Are there more things you can add to the pile? I don't doubt it but these are 4 reasons I know for a fact are causing issues.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand from my SIL, who works shipping goods and logistics, that part of the supply chain issue issue is that before the pandemic began, businesses would ship partial loads on ships, and after, they waited for full loads before sending ships out- Which they found saved them tons of money. So now, no one has gone back to partial loads, which is only adding to longer waits for everything- 

Trusted Contributor

I understand it can take weeks to unload one container in some cases. Can't imagine how they will get things moving along, but they sure do need to put someone in charge who is ready to take names and kick some butts.

Honored Contributor

There isn't really a trucker shortage.

The problem is mostly CA and their refusal to let Independent Truckers work in the state.

You MUST be part of a Union or forget it.

They signed legislation and refuse to rescind or put a stop on the order.

We have THOUSANDS of independents that are not allowed to operate in CA.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

The problem is mostly CA and their refusal to let Independent Truckers work in the state.

Which is why many other ports are making some progress and adopting alternatives, while CA continues to flounder.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The east coast cargo ships are getting through and unloaded just fine.  I saw ships in the Baltimore Harbor with business as usual. They had a news story on this.

The problem seems to be on the west coast. 

There is a problem with not enough truck drivers and people to unload...and the price of gas.  If we don't get the gas prices down in this country, we will be eating grass from our front lawns.  We won't be able to afford food.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I am NOT an expert on the industry and only have what I'm told by companies when it comes to shipping being so slow. If what you say is true, then this entire mess can be placed on the lap of CA and those who not only passed these laws but REFUSE to see the greater need of the country and put a hold on it until the situation is better under control. Wish this would play on the national news so everyone would be aware of it. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I am NOT an expert on the industry and only have what I'm told by companies when it comes to shipping being so slow. If what you say is true, then this entire mess can be placed on the lap of CA and those who not only passed these laws but REFUSE to see the greater need of the country and put a hold on it until the situation is better under control. Wish this would play on the national news so everyone would be aware of it. 

This has been on the national news many times.  

I can't find fault for CA having stringent laws for the purpose of cleaner air.  Especially since their coastline has very busy shipping ports.

But maybe if they back off their laws somewhat till this awful log jam is cleared up?

This can't be good for the waters (and air quality, too.)  All these ships just sitting there.