Honored Contributor

SUGGESTIONS FOR RATE TO CLEAN OUR YARD

Our back yard needs some serious weeding.  It is a small yard-you step out the door and turn around and you are back in the house.  Not really, but you get the idea.  LOL

DH and I are no longer able to keep up.  

We will use a professional service but we do not use chemicals so they would not have to spray.

We used to handle this ourselves and of course staying on top of it only took us about an hour.  I think this time it might require 2 hours.

We can handle raking leaves because we only get leaves from our neighbor's tree, and that tree has been trimmed back quite a bit.

Any suggestions?

I'll check back later. 

Thanks in advance.Woman Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR RATE TO CLEAN OUR YARD

Rates will vary based on where you live and the size of the job.  I don't think anyone on this forum will be able to give you any solid numbers.  I would suggest you check Angies list or Nextdoor.com in your area.  They would have the most up to date rates and name of people/companies that can help you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A company called Handy.com will send someone from a landscape company...two hours for $89.  I never used them, but two hours is their minimum, so I don't know if they would do 1 hour.  

Maybe, you have something else they can do for the other hour.  Grass need Fall weed and feed, maybe?

You can also ask on NextDoor, the neighborhood website.  You might find someone to do it for less?  

Respected Contributor

Do you mean weeding of flower beds or your grass has a lot of weeds?  It has been my experience that lawn maintenance companies do not do weeding.  They'll cut your lawn, trim bushes and do the edging but never any weed pulling.  Now there's companies that treat lawn for weeds and diseases.  We looked into that several years ago and it was expensive.  Over $300.  The no chemical, more organic ones were more expensive.  Maybe there's a teen in your neighborhood looking to pick up some extra money and is willing to do it?  I know in my area, there is not a company that will do weeding.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call the nearest Church or High School.

Sounds like the area isn't large so someone or a group of guys that want to earn a few bucks will come and do that for you.

....and if they don't know, ask who would, word of mouth is the best form of getting information and advertising.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   I don't know where you live but you could do a one-time fix like we do in the Southwest.  Have all the weeds removed.  Have a fabric weed barrier laid down then have crushed gravel installed on top.  This will last for years and you won't have to worry about weeds again.  You could also consider artificial turf like Astroturf only more realistic but it's quite expensive, although it looks nice. 

If you want someone to just remove the weeds, join and advertise on the NextDoor App.  Small companies and individuals look for work there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Cakers3   I don't know where you live but you could do a one-time fix like we do in the Southwest.  Have all the weeds removed.  Have a fabric weed barrier laid down then have crushed gravel installed on top.  This will last for years and you won't have to worry about weeds again.  You could also consider artificial turf like Astroturf only more realistic but it's quite expensive, although it looks nice. 

If you want someone to just remove the weeds, join and advertise on the NextDoor App.  Small companies and individuals look for work there. 

@Kachina624   Thank you.  We have fabric in the front and larger rocks.  The crushed gravel or the river rocks tend to wash away.

Yes, the backyard is very, very small.  We do not have a lawn.  

I have a lot of pots with cacti and two small bushes.

The person who trimmed our front tree and trimmed the neighbor's tree in the back offered to pull the weeds but we ended up with somebody else for the trees.  It wasn't so bad last spring, either.

We've thought about the fabric  just didn't get around to it.  LOL

Grandson is checking in tomorrow- might just pay him instead.

A lot of it is ground cover, too, so it takes more time to pull.

Honored Contributor

Thank you to everyone.  

I thought about NextDoor so I may check in with our community.

Grandson can always help - he's carrying 6 classes in college right now so time is tight for him.

With the rain we had the yard just took on a life of its own since DH and I have not been able to keep up anymore.

We do use the smaller outfits and I'm sure the workers would like some extra cash. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   I suggested the crushed gravel because people and animals can easily walk on it.  There are various levels of fineness.  I have a large yard covered with it and have never had any wash away. 

Hope you find a solution that makes your lives easier. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

LOL