Respected Contributor

Driving Behind a Person on an Electric Unicycle

I've heard of these, but I've never seen one. I'm sure they're not street legal. Nevertheless, I ended up behind one on a busy street going 30mph. The rider thankfully was covered head to toe in protective gear -- no idea of gender, age, etc.

This was a small stand-up unicycle with one 20" (?) wheel. No seat or handlebars. 

I can't imagine doing this in traffic.

Has anyone ever tried one? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Driving Behind a Person on an Electric Unicycle

@PickyPicky3 I have to look these up - never seen one - I'm only picturing the old time unicycles.  I can't imagine a unicycle going 30 miles an hour! it sounds ridiculous!!  Also scary and frustrating for anyone sharing the road with them.  

Honored Contributor

Scary!  I'm a total klutz, though, and now that I'm older and ever since I fell and broke my arm really badly (left arm, of course, so I was skrewed!), I'd even be afraid to use a two-wheel bicycle.  That's kind of sad because I'd love to cycle around.   I'm just terrified to fall now.

As to the unicycle, electric or not, I don't really think it should be operated in traffic like that.  I don't know the laws but I guess unless it could keep up, as with a motorcycle for instance, it probably isn't street legal.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the fun riding an electric unicycle. Maybe that's why I won't do it.

Some of them have a maximum speed of 30 miles per hour. That's even faster than driving a car in a school zone in some places.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a vehicle for someone with a death wish.  Very unstable and one wobble and you're under a car's tires. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Driving Behind a Person on an Electric Unicycleyou can have one shipped to you

Not something I am likely ever to try, but I did Google and for a few thousand dollars, you can have one shipped to you free anywhere in the US or Canada.  No mention of traffic laws.    Good balance, good technique, and practice was the discussion.   Maybe the working man's version of the skateboard?   Wonder if they can be used in the  bike lanes?

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I've heard of these, but I've never seen one. I'm sure they're not street legal. Nevertheless, I ended up behind one on a busy street going 30mph. The rider thankfully was covered head to toe in protective gear -- no idea of gender, age, etc.

This was a small stand-up unicycle with one 20" (?) wheel. No seat or handlebars. 

@PickyPicky3 The rider in inconsiderate of others.  If he falls and someone hits him or he causes an accident what a mess that will be.  

What is wrong with people?  NO thought of how something might impact people who need to get somewhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 The rider in inconsiderate of others.  If he falls and someone hits him or he causes an accident what a mess that will be.  

What is wrong with people?  NO thought of how something might impact people who need to get somewhere. 

These seem as if they are only ridden in residential areas where the speed limit is 30mph. But of course vehicles think they can go 45 in a residential area, then in lies the problem.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sounds like a vehicle for someone with a death wish.  Very unstable and one wobble and you're under a car's tires. 

@Kachina624    My neighborhood went a little "overboard" with the speed bumps.......and they are NOT gradual ones.......more like telephone poles across the road.     I don't think anybody could get out of here on a unicycle.......     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi    No, but it might be fun to watch. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment