Honored Contributor

Re: Sully Meets Sully

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Drythe   I do not own a corgi.  Perhaps you should reread my post.  And nowhere did I disrespect your opinion or put it down or try to change your mind.  

@Pearlee 

No?  You referenced my opinion, CC ‘ed me to tell me why you thought I was wrong, and gave your opinion of my opinion.

If not trying to influence me, why notify me at all?  Why not just state your views and leave me out of it?  Please do so.

No where did I say any of the things you mention above.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe   Thanks and I knew you would understand.  The pictures of him with Jenna's daughters just made my heart break.  They wanted him as much as he wanted to go home.  

@Drythe wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Both a hero....I wish that Sully had remained at home with his family.  Yes, of course I am aware of

all the altruistic duties that will be raised, but animals love their family as much as humans. I am a strong animal advocate. I will forever remember his demeanor beside his family member, President Bush.

@phoenixbrd 

I SO, agree with you.  Yes, others will disagree, but he does love this family, and rightly so.  They love him.

The heart chooses, and having done so is not moved.  To be with the one who’s heart picked you, and whom your heart chose is a blessing beyond belief.

Surely, duty will not negate that.

Just looking at his head shape, he is still only a pup.  And yet, so many major changes in his life, from his first foster, (which no doubt he thought was home) to his first trainer, to The Bush family (which he must have thought was finally home), to a new trainer, and now a placement that is not at all a home, so very different.

I feel sad for him, and his family.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe   Heartbreakingly sad.

@Drythe wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 

Thank you for sharing.

Sully must be very confused at seeing his family again, wondering where they have been, and why he is not with them.

I’m not sure this visit was a kindness to him.  😔 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe   This is where he belongs...at home.  Animals are not to be considered "temporary" .  Poor Sully thought he was home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe   I respect all opinions and certainly Pearly, but in mho I agree with you Drythe.  Thank you for your eloquent words that speak to the love that animals feel for their family members.  My heart just breaks for Sully and I'm sure he is confused and doesn't understand the abandonment.  How could he have been thought of as "temporary"....animals are not things and especially after what he meant to President Bush.  I understand all the arguments that will be posted and that this is an unpopular stance. I know our little boy would be heartbroken to be given to another family.  Animals are not disposable, they are sentient beings.  They become attached to those who love them and care for them.  Scully has a skill, but he also has a heart and it has been broken. (My guess is the Bush children feel the same way, their hearts are still open.)   

Frequent Contributor

I do think it's sad that Jenna and her kids can't keep the dog because it was a loss as well.  The kids felt sad and while I understand that the dog was trained for a specific purpose and now needs to move on, it just seems cruel on an emotional level all things considered..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Drythe  As a dog lover who has owned many and who has many friends who are breeders and show dogs, I disagree with you. Dogs live in the moment.  As long as they are well cared for they are happy in the moment.  When dogs see someone they've known in the past, such as Sully seeing Jenna Bush again and her children, they are happy to see them, hence the tail wagging.  As long as they are also happy with and well cared for by their present owners, they don't mind leaving those who once owned them.

That's been my observations over the past 30 years.  Most recently: a good friend of mine adopted a well-socialized corgi from a breeder a year ago.   My friend has taken her corgi back to the breeder's house a couple of times for play dates (the breeder has a houseful of corgis) and my friend's dog has recognized the breeder and most of the dogs there, has a great time at the play date, and is happy to go home with my friend, her now-owner.  The corgi always has a great time at the play dates with her former family.

@Drythe   I stated that I disgree with you.  You used the word "wrong" - I never did.  A disagreement of opinion does not mean the same thing as "wrong."   

It's unfortunately to have a post so misinterpreted as you have mine.

You were wrong however about my owning a corgi because you misread my post.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Drythe   I respect all opinions and certainly Pearly, but in mho I agree Drythe.  Thank you for your eloquent words that speak to the love that animals feel for their family members.  My heart just breaks for Sully and I'm sure he is confused and doesn't understand the abandonment.  How could he have been thought of as "temporary"....animals are not things and especially after what he meant to President Bush.  I understand all the arguments that will be posted and that this is an unpopular stance. I know our little boy would be heartbroken to be given to another family.  Animals are not disposable, they are sentient beings.  They become attached to those who love them and care for them.  Scully has a skill, but he also has a heart and it has been broken. (My guess is the Bush children feel the same way, their hearts are still open.)   

@phoenixbrd   Oh, that's fine.  It's perfectly OK to disagree with someone's opinion, which doesn't mean anyone has said the other is wrong.  I merely have an opinion different from yours, based on my own experiences and observations.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Drythe  As a dog lover who has owned many and who has many friends who are breeders and show dogs, I disagree with you. Dogs live in the moment.  As long as they are well cared for they are happy in the moment.  When dogs see someone they've known in the past, such as Sully seeing Jenna Bush again and her children, they are happy to see them, hence the tail wagging.  As long as they are also happy with and well cared for by their present owners, they don't mind leaving those who once owned them.

That's been my observations over the past 30 years.  Most recently: a good friend of mine adopted a well-socialized corgi from a breeder a year ago.   My friend has taken her corgi back to the breeder's house a couple of times for play dates (the breeder has a houseful of corgis) and my friend's dog has recognized the breeder and most of the dogs there, has a great time at the play date, and is happy to go home with my friend, her now-owner.  The corgi always has a great time at the play dates with her former family.

@Drythe   I stated that Idisgreee with you.  You used the word "wrong" - I never did.  A disagreement of opinion does not mean the same thing as "wrong."   

It's unfortunately to have a post so misinterpreted as you have mine.

You were wrong however about my owning a corgi because you misread my post.

@Pearlee 

It is unfortunate to have one’s opinions misread, not read, repeatedly tagged, and commented about with others as you have mine.  I used the word ‘wrong’ as in‘mistaken’ as you must know, but it serves your response to ‘misinterpret’ it.  In no place do I say you own a Corgi.

You have added the words “I disagree with you” to the post above, but they DO NOT appear in your OP # 28 in this string.  That IS wrong.

You of course are entitled to your views about anything, as I stated at the beginning.  However, I would welcome it if you would not tag me again.

fini

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you for your kind words, I so glad, but not surprised at all that we share similar feelings in this matter.  ♥️

If you like, you can see photos of Sully on his Instagram page where he is SullyHWBush.  Here he is running on the beach with the family and his dog buddies, celebrating Christmas, and the New Year with the family, there is a clip of him sleeping (snoring), then his name is called, and he quickly leaps to attention - so sweet.

I wish I could believe he was there still, but there is also a clip of him working on Valentine day delivering candy to the staff in the medical center, not the valuable, personal service he is trained to provide, and I believe he enjoyed. It just breaks my heart.  It seems that since he has become so well known, he is being positioned as the ambassador of Therapy Dogs.  I personally support Therapy Dogs in a variety of ways but not this.

@Drythe wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Both a hero....I wish that Sully had remained at home with his family.  Yes, of course I am aware of

all the altruistic duties that will be raised, but animals love their family as much as humans. I am a strong animal advocate. I will forever remember his demeanor beside his family member, President Bush.

@phoenixbrd 

I SO, agree with you.  Yes, others will disagree, but he does love this family, and rightly so.  They love him.

The heart chooses, and having done so is not moved.  To be with the one who’s heart picked you, and whom your heart chose is a blessing beyond belief.

Surely, duty will not negate that.

Just looking at his head shape, he is still only a pup.  And yet, so many major changes in his life, from his first foster, (which no doubt he thought was home) to his first trainer, to The Bush family (which he must have thought was finally home), to a new trainer, and now a placement that is not at all a home, so very different.

I feel sad for him, and his family.