https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-rhagdJr3Q

Hilarious video !!

Honored Contributor

sully.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

Thank you for sharing.

Sully must be very confused at seeing his family again, wondering where they have been, and why he is not with them.

I’m not sure this visit was a kindness to him.  😔 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I believe Valerie has been Sully's trainer the entire time. Jenna said this morning that the family always knew that their time with Sully would be temporary. So apparently that was the plan from the beginning, to give him another assignment after President Bush's death. 

I have been following Valerie and America's Vet Dogs since his death. Both are so dedicated to Sully and all the other dogs. I believe they would never do anything that would be detrimental to Sully.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

I respect your opinion, we disagree about this.

As a dog lover, owner, trainer, animal advocate, I have learned if a change is made, it is best to implement it, and stay with it.  Going back and forth confuses the animal.  They do not know the whys and wherefore, just the results, and their feelings.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe  I understand how you feel and I had some of those same questions about Sully today. I just hope and pray that it will all work out well for him. He just seems to be the sweetest most loving dog. 

Honored Contributor

Sully at his Bush home with their other dogs.

A beautiful life.

photo from SullyBush Instagram 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe  As a dog lover who has owned many and who has many friends who are breeders and show dogs, I disagree with you. Dogs live in the moment.  As long as they are well cared for they are happy in the moment.  When dogs see someone they've known in the past, such as Sully seeing Jenna Bush again and her children, they are happy to see them, hence the tail wagging.  As long as they are also happy with and well cared for by their present owners, they don't mind leaving those who once owned them.

That's been my observations over the past 30 years.  Most recently: a good friend of mine adopted a well-socialized corgi from a breeder a year ago.   My friend has taken her corgi back to the breeder's house a couple of times for play dates (the breeder has a houseful of corgis) and my friend's dog has recognized the breeder and most of the dogs there, has a great time at the play date, and is happy to go home with my friend, her now-owner.  The corgi always has a great time at the play dates with her former family.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sully Meets Sully

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Drythe  As a dog lover who has owned many and who has many friends who are breeders and show dogs, I disagree with you. Dogs live in the moment.  As long as they are well cared for they are happy in the moment.  When dogs see someone they've known in the past, such as Sully seeing Jenna Bush again and her children, they are happy to see them, hence the tail wagging.  As long as they are also happy with and well cared for by their present owners, they don't mind leaving those who once owned them.

That's been my observations over the past 30 years.  Most recently: a good friend of mine adopted a well-socialized corgi from a breeder a year ago.   My friend has taken her corgi back to the breeder's house a couple of times for play dates (the breeder has a houseful of corgis) and my friend's dog has recognized the breeder and most of the dogs there, has a great time at the play date, and is happy to go home with my friend, her now-owner.  The corgi always has a great time at the play dates with her former family.

@Pearlee 

I respect your opinion, I wish you had been able to say the same about mine.

My experience, at least as long as yours, with many breeds, particularly Labs, in many circumstances, has lead me to think differently.  I have trained dogs, Therapy dogs all the way to international judging, many are still in service.  They are trained to serve a Person, their focal point, not an Institution.  I will point out that Show dogs are vastly different from Therapy dogs.

We each think as we think.  I think it is too bad that he could not stay with the family.  I understand HW’s wishes.  Perhaps he did not fully visualize the difference in the new life Sully would lead.  Look at his Instagram page, you will see him roaming the beaches at Kennebunkport, swimming there with the other dogs, playing on the ranch with family members, and looking happy, Being involved with family parties, events, holidays, always part of a Family,  And yes, absolutely #1 being there for HIS Person. He does not have that now.  Quite different from the Corgi going back to his HOME  after a visit.

I do not have the intention to continue to discuss, defend, my views.  

Why are so many unable to state their own opinions, without focusing on or referencing the opinion of others?

*** Edited for yet another typo

Honored Contributor

@Drythe   I do not own a corgi.  Perhaps you should reread my post.  And nowhere did I disrespect your opinion or put it down or try to change your mind.