Honored Contributor

Just Thinking Out Loud....Give Your Opinions

Whenever I read posts about hosts and their sales tactics, I always envision meetings with the hosts together with the "head honchos".

I envision everyone sitting around talking about sales techniques and both sides offering ideas one what to say and how to improve sales.

I envision charts (or print outs) telling the hosts "this is how much your sales have improved"....or "this is where you need to improve".

My point?  Well, I've been watching QVC since around 2004.  I realize that's longer than some, but not even close to as long as many of you.  

I guess what I'm getting to is (speaking for myself) I think there are many ways to sell something.  I think honesty usually wins out.....in the   l o n g  run.

Again, my point.  While I don't like to talk about anyone who's so good (you know...bla bla), I do think Mary Beth seems to really stand out.  

She comes across as being honest.  She doesn't say she owns everything she sells and she doesn't tell us (the audience) to buy two, three or more.

I honestly believe it's primarily her personality that makes her honest.  When she comes on, even if she's selling garden hoses (which I own several) I'll still watch her.  

She doesn't yell.  She doesn't have 'catch words or phrases'.  She is always nicely dressed (i.e. nails, hair, etc).  

I have to wonder how her sales stack up against some others. 

Just saying..........

I think what I'm trying to say (and not very well).  Everyone in every kind of sales job has his or her own way of selling.  It's our choice to watch or not.  Just as it's our choice to buy or not.

I'd love to sit in on one of these sales meetings.....wouldn't that be interesting.....

After all, all these hosts are are sales people.  Just like we see when we walk past a counter at.....say a Kohls department store.

Let's cut them a little slack.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just Thinking Out Loud....Give Your Opinions

Well.....Here’s the thing’.

Esteemed Contributor

"And all that Jazz'

etc., etc., etc.,

Honored Contributor

I worked for Tiffany's in a managerial position. I did not sell on the floor but I did assist customers make decisions.

I have watched QVC since 1990 but rarely in the past ten years. I have seen the hosts break every rule of good salesmanship including Mary Beth. Since I do not know any of the show hosts personally, I do not assign character traits such as "honesty" to any of them. For all I know a host might despise an item they sell to keep getting a paycheck. The best "actor" sells the most, perhaps?

Esteemed Contributor

I think that management wants them to be more than just salespeople.

I think management wants them to be entertainers  That's why we get some of the behaviors we see.

Honored Contributor

Here’s how I look at it. Hoe the hosts dress and do their hair is between them and the powers that be, none of my business. That being said , these people are not my friends, relatives or neighbors . They are sales people trying to separate me from my money, and if I think they are being foolish and not giving pertinent information , they are fair game. If you want to talk about mean, how about those lovely posters that criticize hosts with speech impediments? Now that is bashing !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I can't watch any of them anymore.  They're all annoying - all of them.  Maybe if they didn't have a vendor for each presentation or spend 15-20 minutes on each item, I could tolerate them a little better.

With that being said, I think there is a shift to buying online rather than watching a presentation and calling in.  I don't have statistics.  It's just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

"When it's gone it's gone!!!" You KNOW that one has obviously proven to work, 'cuz that tired old tactic is still goin' strong! 🙄😴

Honored Contributor

I agree the hosts are not sales people, IMO they are actor/presenters. I don't buy anything because they are showing it or care if they personally like the product. The hosts prey on lonely, old people who consider them their friends, just listen to some of them on air, it's pathetic.

Honored Contributor

Honesty is what it is all about @Annabellethecat66 .  I can tell you I just told someone the flat unvarnished truth today about our company and it takes their breath away that no one is going to BS them and just tell it like it is. It's refreshing to not have to play games and just be.  

We have become so caught up in the social and the sensationalism that we forget it's the old fashioned authenticity that really touches us and what we as human beings will always respond to most.