Honored Contributor

That's a shame but now he has learned one of life's lessons. Don't leave anything in your car that you can afford to lose.

And as for posting on line, that's just ridiculous! I'm betting next time he'll remember to take his valuables out of the car.

Respected Contributor

We went to Maui one year and you have to pay windshield insurance because theft is so bad.   At several of the places that you pull out there is broken glass everywhere.  I guess they call them 'smash and grab' crooks.   At one place when we came back to our car there were 3 people having a fit because someone had smashed their windows and stole all their stuff.   We never brought anything we couldn't carry and left the doors unlocked.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Chances are very good that things will be stolen when left in ur car when using valet service - or when bringing ur car in for repair - or car wash. I've known this for 30 yrs. Many years ago, I had my car towed for repair and I left all my tapes in a holder in my car - and when I picked up my car, they were gone. It was probably the tow truck driver - or someone at the repair shop. I learned a lesson.

On one of the tv shows, they had people leave cars with valets at fancy nightclubs in Miami Beach. Cameras were set up - and almost every time, u could see the valet guy rifling thru the glove compartment, or console looking for money and whatevery else they could find. I just traded in my "old" Honda for a 2012 Honda Civic. In my "old" Honda, I had a separate key where I locked my glove compartment and trunk. I locked it anytime someone else was going to need access to my car, ie, when I took it in for service at the Honda dealer. My newer Honda doesn't have that feature - so I'll have to remove everything from the glove compartment (all my paperwork) and trunk.

Hope u and ur son learn from this --- many people are thieves!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't leave anything in my car.  Learned my lesson - someone broke into my car and stole my gym bag.  There was nothing valuable in it.  I shouldn't have left it on the back seat.

My mom had a beautiful jacket stolen at the airport by a TSA agent.  She put in the bin on the belt and it never came out.   TSA agent stole my niece's purse. 

Honored Contributor

@pommom

I'm sorry this happened to your son.

Sadly, it is our tendency to trust others until they teach us different.  Then, we learn to safeguard our valuables.

A life lesson learned.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

The only sort-of similar thing I had happen once, years ago, was when my husband showed up at my work and said he was going to take my car to the car wash for me.  

I told him that when he got there, he just needed to pull out the ashtray and keep that with him.  I used to save silver dollars, and sometimes half-dollars.  Whenever I'd get one I would put it in the ashtray in my car.  It was only some $40+ dollars, but they were MINE.

Of course, he forgot to do that and when I got my car back almost all of them were gone.  Granted, it was HIS fault but I still didn't deserve to have my money stolen.

He did end up going back there and complaining to the manager/owner of the car wash. The guy gave him $30.   At least I got most of my money back, but I was still ticked, mostly, at the husband for not following ONE simple request to pull out the ashtray (it's not that big - I'd done it numerous times) instead of leaving it there to have my money taken.

Obviously, the moral of the story is that you don't leave anything of value in the car when you relinquish it to ANYBODY.  My car has a 'valet' key that doesn't open the jockey box (I don't have a trunk).  That's helpful.  I imagine that the 'valet' key of a car with a trunk doesn't work on the trunk either so one could conceivably stash their things in there.   Still, however, it always pays to be careful.  

Unfortunately, it's on him for leaving it there even though he did not deserve to be ripped off.  The way things work, some people will steal your stuff if they have the chance so we always try to NOT give them an easy opportunity.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yes its aggravating that there are such dishonest people in the world but put things into perspective. Its only a jacket. Accept whats happened and move on.

I agree, we have all had some type of "you live and you learn" situations.  A jacket is easy to replace, you will never leave anything in the car again.

Respected Contributor

@debic

Actually, he did know what time frame it disappeared.  

He wore it to work.

He took it off after work and placed it in the back seat.

He drove home.  Arrived home. Locked his car whether he's home or not.

He dressed for a night out.

Went to his car and drove to establishment.

Left the car with the valet service.

At any rate, the deed is done and hopefully lesson learned.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I have had many things stolen from me and now I trust no one.  Years ago someone stole my purse from my chair at work on pay day after I had cashed my pay check.  It was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. 

I had had no money and no car keys to even drive home.  my husband had to come to my work place to bring me a new set of keys.   Later that very same evening, the cleaning people called me.  They found my purse in the ladies room in the trash can minus my pay.  The funny thing was they didn't take any money from my wallet or my credit cards. Unfortunately, I had already cancelled all of my cards.

Another time at work I saw a younger girl walking out of the front door with my lamb leather jacket.  I knew it was mine because I had it custom made for me from a leather shop in Australia.  I was a rich wine color and has 3/4 length sleeves.  I've never seen another jacket like it.

I ran after her and asked for my jacket back.  She refused to give it to me.  I was hot and mad.  I told her that I was going to beat the **** out of her if she didn't take it off and give it back.  Security came because she began yelling at the top of her lungs.

i explained the problem and told security that I was going to call the police.  She still insisted the jacket was hers.  I asked her where she purchased it.  She said NYC.  

I explained to security that the jacket was mine and had my initials on the lining.  Sure enough, I got my jacket back.  No one even did anything to her.  I would have fired her.

i never leave anything valuable in my car or anywhere in anyones home or in mine where anyone who visits could just take it.

Respected Contributor

WOW reading all your experiences makes me think that the world really has changed for the worse. You really must be aware of our surroundings. 

Last week I was in the hair salon and when I needed to get my color washed out, my hairdresser said oh you can leave your handbag here. I ignored her and simply got up, took my handbag with me and sat down at the sink chair and held my bag in my lap! Like I am that stupid to leave my handbag in an entirely other room, out of sight? Don't think so! There is a tip jar by the sinks and a customer put her hand in there a few months ago and now the tip jar is gone after that happened a few times!