Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if retired senior citizens will receive a check?  In the beginning discussions they talked about the need but lately it seems they are saying working people.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Why would retired people get a check?  How have we been affected by loss of anything.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

Re: Stimulus check question

[ Edited ]

The final bill language is not available yet, but according to the draft, the answer is yes. It is based on income as filed - social security counts as income.

Removed link 

Super Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Why would retired people get a check?  How have we been affected by loss of anything.

Pensions, stocks, etc. They want to stimulate the economy. Plus, it's the most active voting population and most at risk. Some seniors also have part-time gigs heavily affected.

I won't get anything as I'm single and make over $75,000. I'm ok with this as I still have my job and full benefits.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie : My friend last year had to retire before she planned to because of health issues. She worked less than 5 years with the company and no retirement. Her disability social security check is small but the small increase this year made her ineligible for food stamps. Thankfully her house is paid for but she has property taxes and other expenses for a house. She has a car payment for a very old small car. Her health issues keep her at home. After she pays bills the remaining month and little money left is very long trying to purchase food and other necessities. Being retired does not indicate you have enough money and don't need help. So many people need help. I count my Blessings everyday. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

I don't know the answer, we will soon know....I guess an agreement happened last night.  I certainly hope it was a clean bill...no new green deal, no pork....

Esteemed Contributor

It's based on income not age.Some seniors make a lot of money & some don't.

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee, so sorry about your friend!  My pension is small but thank God I have one.  As long as my husband is alive, I'll be fine.  He was retired already when we got married, so I won't be getting anything from him.

There are so many people barely making it and I guess the stimulus will help but long term help would be more beneficial.  I'm fine now but one big medical issue can change that.  Good luck to your friend.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie : Glad to know that you and DH are provided for. I understand the need for a more long term help. Talked with friend yesterday and she refused to admit she needs anything. We have enough groceries and will just make a care package for her. Before this virus we would get together every two weeks- I would give her gas money, purchase her lunch and make sure she had food to take home. Last month we gave her a gift card to Plubix and will probably do this monthly. We are not rich but Blessed and believe in helping others. Today more than ever we need to check on people and help if possible. Southern Bee