Trusted Contributor

I have a lady come into my home once a month to clean.  She does this on her day off from her full-time job, working at a nursing home.  She is scheduled to come Thursday and I am vascillating about whether to have her come or not..  She cancelled her day in April, but her day for May is coming up.

I think my biggest concern is her working in a nursing home.  Although this nursing home followed guidelines and not allowed visitors except in an emergency situation, not all the residents have been tested.

I am thinking about cancelling it and if I do, should I pay her what she would have earned, pay her half, or not pay her at all?  

What would you do?

TIA for your responses.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I would cancel, and pay her if you are able. It would be safe and kind.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I would not let her in my home,

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Re: What Would You Do?

[ Edited ]

Unless you are very young, 20's or younger, I wouldn't continue with this service. Nursing homes are HOT areas. Pay her what she would of earned cleaning your home. I'm sorry this has to happen to her.

I'm sure she needs the $ & I think she will realize it's because of her nursing home job. Perhaps it's best to let her know the reason. That would be emphatic & human to do so.

Best to be safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

I would cancel but absolutely pay her.   

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@wismiss 

You're thinking exactly as I would.  Find it in your heart to cancel but pay usual.  Those workers are so underappreciated and under rewarded.  You will reap rewards from her later.  She undoubtedly would relish quiet time.  

Respected Contributor

I would definitely cancel.

My area is still in essential travel only mode.

I would have told her a lot more ahead of time, though, not three days.

Not sure if you want her in June, either, if the virus is still active in your area.

Given that you are cancelling so late, I would pay at least half if not all.  

Super Contributor

I think you should cancel her coming to clean on Thursday because she is working in the nursing home and not all residents have been tested.   If you can afford it you should pay her at least half or pay her what she would have earned.   

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss Hi sweetie. I think I'd skip it this month.  And like everybody else said, just pay her and seriously think about somebody else who doesn't work in a nursing home.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Valued Contributor

I would not have her come -- especially given that she works in a nursing home.  We have not had our housekeeper come since mid-March.  We have continued to pay her.  All of our friends have done the same thing.  We all have long term relationships and know that they need the money -- at this time more than ever.