Honored Contributor

if she is working in a nursing home i am surprised that she is doing side jobs.

she really should be quarantining at this time and ONLY working for the nursing home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I agree with others. Due to her profession, tell her you need to cancel "for now" but pay her anyway. I'm sure she is counting on this money. I'm sure you'll tell her kindly.

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  don´t be surprised if she does not accept payment. Tell her you are the one cancelling so it´s only fair that you pay her. Keep cancelling until you feel safe and pay her. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cancel, and pay her.  My son and his wife have been doing that with their 1x a week housekeeper.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Many counties in WI have 0 to 20 cases so your location would factor into my answer. Probably best to cancel with pay, because of her other job. However we know this isn't completely going away so you may want to think about when you will have her start cleaning again. I wouldn't keep paying her after May.

Honored Contributor

I'd just call the Health Dept and ask if and when that nursing home had any COVID cases, if any.

Honored Contributor

I not only canceled my cleaning service in March, but have also put off any other service calls, repairs or anything else that requires people coming into the house. 

The cleaning service was 2 or 3 different women each time. How could I possibly know who they've been near? The same for all contractors, exterminators, cable repair people, etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  I cancelled my bi-weekly maid in March when the virus came to my area. I told her my concerns and I'm staying home I can clean. Then I said she can work weekly when this is over to make up her time. 
  She appreciated it and has texted me often since asking how I am and sending Mothers Day wishes. 
  Nobody comes in my house except my son to the garage.

Honored Contributor

Definitely cancel.  I would let her know that you are not comfortable having anyone come into the home right now.  You will reach out to her when things with covid are better.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I have a lady come into my home once a month to clean.  She does this on her day off from her full-time job, working at a nursing home.  She is scheduled to come Thursday and I am vascillating about whether to have her come or not..  She cancelled her day in April, but her day for May is coming up.

I think my biggest concern is her working in a nursing home.  Although this nursing home followed guidelines and not allowed visitors except in an emergency situation, not all the residents have been tested.

I am thinking about cancelling it and if I do, should I pay her what she would have earned, pay her half, or not pay her at all?  

What would you do?

TIA for your responses.

Not even a question

absolutely not have her come

As for paying her that is up to you can you afford to do that and can you afford to do that again
leave that open ended and perhaps when she starts coming into the future maybe give her something then