Honored Contributor
Ok all I am starting to get a little unnerved, we are supposed to fly from Westchester County Airport to West Palm Beach 3 week from today.
I have asthma and I have immune deficent and just turned 65
All of the news broadcasts are really starting to get me into a bit of a panic, do I stay home or do I go?
Please be kind with your comments
I am starting to lose it a bit 
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I am a big believer in when God wants you, you're gone.  In the meantime, enjoy your life and your trip.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

Admittedly, I am on the anxious side about any threat.  If I were you, I would err on the side of caution and delay my trip.  

A good childhood friend has recently been hounding me about a promise to visit her in Florida, with nary a word about COVID-19, because, I am quite certain, she does not believe it is a viable threat.

If, however, I visited her and became ill, I'd be angry with myself and her.  So, I'm not visiting anytime soon until I see how this shakes out. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:
Ok all I am starting to get a little unnerved, we are supposed to fly from Westchester County Airport to West Palm Beach 3 week from today.
I have asthma and I have immune deficent and just turned 65
All of the news broadcasts are really starting to get me into a bit of a panic, do I stay home or do I go?
Please be kind with your comments
I am starting to lose it a bit 

If you are really upset I would say cancel.The worry alone could cause a problem and if you are too upset you won't have a good time anyhow.If you decide to go wear a mask and bring lots of hand sanitizer.What is the reason for the trip?

Trusted Contributor

My personal opinion is - I'd rather be safe than sorry....and it sounds like your condition and age are the exact types that they are warning about to not take trips.  I would pass on the trip and stay home where it's safer until this ''storm'' passes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Starting to Panic

[ Edited ]

Well. You're flying from a zone with how many infections now? And you'd be traveling in a plane with other people from there? Not sure what the CDC would recommend in your case. But I thought they were recommending "seniors" not travel if not strictly necessary.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Starting to Panic

[ Edited ]

I don't know what to tell you but I'm also supposed to be flying in three weeks.  I'm flying from Philly International to Ft. Lauderdale and don't know what to do.

I'm healthy but do have high blood pressure which I take meds for. On the one hand I don't want to bring home the virus to my DH who has a chronic autoimmune illness....but on the other hand I'm going to visit my 93 year old mother who I don't see often and I realize that I might not see her again because of her age...so what to do? 

I probably won't decide until the last minute.

ETA:  I'm also considered now "elderly" at 65.

Honored Contributor

Whatever brings you the most peace. 

Occasional Visitor

It may not be what you want to hear, but based on what is advised right now I'd cancel the trip.  Dr. Fauci was on tv today saying think twice about flying if you have underlying conditions and are elderly.  I'm about the same age as you and I'm not fond of thinking of myself as elderly either, but when you add age and an auto-immune issue, it's not the best idea.  I guess it depends on your reason for the trip.  He also said the elderly with health issues should definitely not go on a cruise under any circumstances.  Flying was left more of a "think twice" thing.  Maybe ask your doctor what they would recommend. I wish you the best, and stay healthy.

Honored Contributor

If I were in your place, I'd go.

there is no guarantee that you will not  catch a cold or the flu or coronavirus or anything else anywhere..in your hometown, on a plane or in another state.

I'd wash my hands and not touch my face or public shared surfaces like I always do anyway.

But, I am not you.  Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable doing.  If you are bothered to the point that it is causing you anxiety, cancel your trip.

I don't want to downplay the coronavirus, but the media is making people nervous.  I remember when they did the same for the Y2K...remember when the world was going to end and all the computers and machines were going to cause a meltdown?

I am not fearful, but I am cautious and diligent.