Respected Contributor

Asking People to Self-quarantine?

Student returning from Italy became sick next day, was tested at hospital in day 2, and was asked to self-quarantine along with family members.  Guess what:  test came back positive day 3.  That's not the surprising part!  Dad and little sister went to school dance at hotel not knowing results yet. For Pete's sake:  the reason student came back from Italy was because disease spreading so rampantly.  Common sense tells you it was quite possible she caught.  But the family thought missing the dance was too much of a sacrifice?  Now hundreds of families were exposed!

When will this "me first" and others "whatever" mentality be exposed and treated for what it really is:  selfishness, greed, disrespect of authority, and contempt for the needs of others.  

We had a good chance of controlling this disease in our country, but it's disappearing rapidly at the hands of selfish individuals. One step forward, five back.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking People to Self-quarantine?

Wow, that was selfish.  I haven't read about this situation.  Where was it?

Respected Contributor

St Louis, Missouri

Honored Contributor

Senator Ted Cruz has done just that. I saw on CNN tonight

Esteemed Contributor

It reminds me of one of those fictional crime shows I've watched.  If someone knows he's possibly been exposed but decides to expose others instead of self-quarantine, could that person be charged with wanton endangerment or manslaughter?

Honored Contributor

It's really not much different from other flus.  People get the flu every year and go to work and out in the public.  

Honored Contributor

Selfishness and greed is the human condition these days in the US. Those that have really could care less if the poor has access to health care or a living wage, they don't want their lives to jeopardize their way of life. Why would they care if they infected others, they won't be inconvenienced. I don't know, maybe people or those that have so much were always like this, it just wasn't so in your face.

Honored Contributor

How does self-quarantine ever be enforced? The scary part to me is that you can be contagious two weeks before you even show any symptoms...so you don’t even know you have it....and what is the timeline if you don’t even know you may have been exposed? Truly a dilemma for all concerned. If you feel fine, it has to be hard to just stay at home indefinitely with no real guidelines.
Valued Contributor

It's not really those that have vs. those that have not in our world today. There is no respect, responsibility or honor.

No respect for life, for property, for authority, for laws. It's anything I want to do or say, I am going to do it.

If someone does something wrong, they don't take responsibility for their own actions, it's someone else's fault that they did whatever. 

If we are told to stay home if we are sick, we are honor bound to do it, but will we? Not many will. There are too many excuses not to.

How many today obey a stop sign, or do they just slow and roll? Speed limits, who goes by them if there isn't an officer nearby?

More will go out and infect as many as they can than will stay in and try to contain it. Are they thinking they want to harm others? No, but that is what they are doing. 

They will go to the stores, and handle merchandise that will spread their virus to the next person. They will attend functions where there are others, and not care who gets sick from them. 

It's not fair to the person that has tried hard to stay well, but they don't count as far as the sick person is concerned. All that counts today is "I get what I want, I am what is important."

Selfishness, egotism those are the traits of todays people.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

It's really not much different from other flus.  People get the flu every year and go to work and out in the public.  

@rms1954   CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu. 

Eleven pediatric deaths were reported this past week bringing the total to 136.

( https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm )

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.