Esteemed Contributor

Re: Solar eclipse-o-philes FYI

I'll be watching on tv or live streaming.

I will protect the only two eyes I have. I don't trust mass produced glasses.

I made plans to go out for lunch on Monday with my friends about a month ago, but last week we realized it was the day of the eclipse so we postponed.

Please be careful!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Guess I'm very naive about this ...but since I live in New York state, how is the sun any different than any other day?? Why the need for safety glasses?

Please be kind !! Thanks!!

How exciting this is going to be!! I know this total eclipse only happens every 1OO years!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @EastCoastGal!

It truly is exciting:  the moon will pass between the earth and sun, either partially or totally blocking it.  

It's never safe to look directly are at the sun without protection, but because people stare at it during a solar eclipse, the brightness and rays will cause permanent damage.

Hey, no one knows everything - but everyone knows something.  8)

Honored Contributor

Image result for nasa eye safety eclipse

Honored Contributor

A friend in Oregon is in the "path".. Hotels have been sold out for months. Certain food is limited, I think they were expecting a couple million from Portland through her town, which is about an hour from Portland. People were even renting their rooms out, until the City put a clamp on that and demanded permits.  My friend, had gardeners come early in the week, got gas filled in all cars, stocked up on food, medicine, supplys, water for 4 days, dog food, ink for printer....etc.   People are stuck at the airport because they ran out of rentals cars Friday!

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy,

Many thanks for your amazing and very educational post. No luck in CT will go to the planetarium and will watch it with some very nice astronomers, the same happened with the transit of Venus, cloudy day🌻

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy, thanks for posting this very important information.

It should be noted that the graphic is directly from NASA's eclipse website ( https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how ) and should be relied on for your safety.

O/T in an earlier post you said, "Hey, no one knows everything - but everyone knows something."  That sentence strongly reminded me of a section of my "words to live by" poem, Desiderata--Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story. 

( http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html )

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

We had a pretty good solar eclipse in the late 1980s in San Francisco.  Was the Administrator for a rehab clinic, so the staff grabbed x-rays and MRIs, on the advice of our Clinical Director, and headed out onto California Street.  The films worked great - we each had 2 to use, one on top of the other and gazed through the black part.

On Monday, I'll be on a bridge crossing the Columbia River from Portland, OR to Vancouver, WA, on my way to physical therapy.  At home, there's a huge block party with donuts, coffee and a passle of goodies I'm going to miss.  Drat!

Have fun everyone!

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@feline groovy, thanks for posting this very important information.

It should be noted that the graphic is directly from NASA's eclipse website ( https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-who-what-where-when-and-how ) and should be relied on for your safety.

O/T in an earlier post you said, "Hey, no one knows everything - but everyone knows something."  That sentence strongly reminded me of a section of my "words to live by" poem, Desiderata--Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story. 

( http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html )

Thanks, @Marp.  

I figured that NASA is the best resource for this event.  That's also where I'll be watching a live video stream: https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

And following Neil Degrasse Tyson's Twitter feed.  8)

Appreciate you posting the safety link, as well as the words and link re: your life motto - an inclusive one that shows that everyone matters. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

We will have a 99.8% of the eclipse where I am (but up the road not far, it will be 100% totality here in South Carolina).....HOWEVER, 

I will leave my solar eclipse glasses on at all times.