Honored Contributor

Re: Solar eclipse-o-philes FYI

Thank you very much, @CHIP62.

A huge view of the eclipse with enthusiastic experts commenting sounds like fun!

Yep, Mother Nature rules everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@2blonde:

SolarEclipse650px.gif

Reports are saying that even with a partial, you should still be getting a great view.

@feline groovy.....now this made me smile.  I LOVE THIS!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Will it do damage to pets eyes if they are outside?

Do you have to wear those glasses if it's a partial eclipse in some areas?

@missy1....just to be on the safe side.....

1)  Keep your pets indoors

2)  Wear the solar eclipse glasses AT ALL TIMES regardless if you are to get a total or partial eclipse in your area....Better be SAFE THAN SORRY.  

3)  Watch it on your TV or in person....regardless of which, it's a "magical" experience we should all want to share.  HAPPY VIEWING.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

A friend in Oregon is in the "path".. Hotels have been sold out for months. Certain food is limited, I think they were expecting a couple million from Portland through her town, which is about an hour from Portland. People were even renting their rooms out, until the City put a clamp on that and demanded permits.  My friend, had gardeners come early in the week, got gas filled in all cars, stocked up on food, medicine, supplys, water for 4 days, dog food, ink for printer....etc.   People are stuck at the airport because they ran out of rentals cars Friday!

Good for your friend, @shoekitty.

I was recently reading that many eclipse chasers and fans booked their lodging at least a year in advance.  And that many locals prepped for an extended stay at home. Can you imagine how well the weed vendors made out? Woman Wink

Also sharp are the people who set up camp last Wednesday and won't be leaving until this coming one.  Renting a motor home or camper would have been awesome!

Anticipating the record-breaking traffic, crowds, etc. for a wondrous natural event really pays off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Ernie Wright/NASA

Honored Contributor

For those eclipse-o-philes (love that!) there will be another one April 8, 2024 which will criss-cross this one.

Here is the path comparing 2017 to 2024:

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info..  I'll watch on TV, since I don't have the glasses.  

Super Contributor

Live in North Georgia....we are getting totality!!! Excited!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

For those eclipse-o-philes (love that!) there will be another one April 8, 2024 which will criss-cross this one.

Here is the path comparing 2017 to 2024:

Thanks for the graphic and info, @Cakers3. 8)  

Wow, Carbondale, IL is blessed twice over!

Trusted Contributor

Why on earth would people have to keep their pets indoors during an eclipse???

I feel like some people think there's something worse about looking at the sun during an eclipse . Um no. You're not supposed to ever look at the sun. It's just that normally you don't have any reason to look at it, and during an eclipse you want to see what's going on. 

I'm sure that pets (and other animals) don't think an eclipse is worth looking at.