Esteemed Contributor

Re: Solar eclipse-o-philes FYI

Remands me of the movie "Delores Claiborne"....LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Remember that protective eyewear should be worn.  If you're planning to view, here are some safety tips from NASA:

NASA is reporting that unsafe eclipse glasses are being distributed by unscrupulous companies.

NASA now recommends only using eclipse glasses with ISO 12312-2 printed on them that have been manufactured by four U.S. companies: American Paper Optics, Rainbow Symphony, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17.

Note that buying your eclipse glasses on Amazon does not ensure their safety. Make sure to check your eclipse glasses and viewers to verify that they have the correct ISO designation and were manufactured by one of the four companies recognized by NASA as legitimate.  They recommend buying glasses from U.S. manufacturers.

Don't reuse old glasses.  They are unsafe after 3 years.

Don't use glasses that have wrinkles or scratches on the lenses.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/safe_glasses_flyer.pdf

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I read the longest duration of darkness will be in the Carbondale, IL area. My brother lives there. Lucky man!

@Ms tyrion2 I have cousin there, but its still a 6 hour drive for me....Not going though.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best view is from a plane - weather doesn't matter since you're above any clouds.

Really cool and beautiful!

Image result for gif total solar eclipse from plane

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

Remember that protective eyewear should be worn.  If you're planning to view, here are some safety tips from NASA:

NASA is reporting that unsafe eclipse glasses are being distributed by unscrupulous companies.

NASA now recommends only using eclipse glasses with ISO 12312-2 printed on them that have been manufactured by four U.S. companies: American Paper Optics, Rainbow Symphony, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17.

Note that buying your eclipse glasses on Amazon does not ensure their safety. Make sure to check your eclipse glasses and viewers to verify that they have the correct ISO designation and were manufactured by one of the four companies recognized by NASA as legitimate.  They recommend buying glasses from U.S. manufacturers.

Don't reuse old glasses.  They are unsafe after 3 years.

Don't use glasses that have wrinkles or scratches on the lenses.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/safe_glasses_flyer.pdf

@wildcat fan- I bought our glasses yesterday, at Lowe's.  They're on the Nasa list of approved glasses.  So if anyone is looking, Lowe's has them.  Be sure to check to make sure they're the right ones, approved by NASA.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Thankyou feline groovy.

Valued Contributor

@feline groovy  Thanks so much for all the great information!  I marked my calendars and will be watching!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Time info for towns/cities that will see it...

Scientists predict that the longest duration of the solar eclipse will be near Carbondale, Illinois, where the sun will be completely covered for two minutes and 40 seconds.

Honored Contributor

Will it do damage to pets eyes if they are outside?

Do you have to wear those glasses if it's a partial eclipse in some areas?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NASA Eclipse 2017 Live - Streaming Video of August 21 Total Solar Eclipse

On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. 

Viewers around the world will be provided a wealth of images captured before, during, and after the eclipse by 11 spacecraft, at least three NASA aircraft, more than 50 high-altitude balloons, and the astronauts aboard the International Space Station – each offering a unique vantage point for the celestial event.

Live video streams of the August 21 total solar eclipse, from NASA Television and locations across the country, will be available on this page:

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipselive

So don't be too bummed if you can't experience it in-person.  

Just watch it on the biggest screen you have that has Internet access.  

Bet all the fauna and flora will be like "what the heck???".  Woman Wink

Image result for Solar eclipse