Honored Contributor

Re: Solar eclipse-o-philes FYI

Thank you so much, @spindlegirl.  8) Heart

Honored Contributor

Yep. My family booked a few suites at a hotel in SC and the projection is we will be right UNDER it as it crosses over. 24 hours after we booked, we found out that the entire hotel is booked with NASA  team members reserving the bulk of the rooms. DH knows many who are heading down there early from his days at NASA so it should be exciting.

I know 2 of my boys can't wait for it!!!

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy- that moving map is amazing. Looks like we'll get about 90% in my neck of the woods which is al lot more than I expected.

Thank you a thousand times for posting that.

Honored Contributor

I'll be in Jackson, Wyoming...a prime spot.   Cannot wait!

If there is a thread here during the event...I'll post. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates:

Agree; it's the coolest GIF I've ever seen.  I'm really glad that it posted well - especially with its 'unrolling' informative text!  

Whoever created it should get a major graphic art award.

Appreciate your appreciation - have fun on 8/21.  8)

Respected Contributor

Well, fair warning, Cakers, don't head to Oregon.  I don't think there is a single hotel room for rent anywhere near the path of totality.  Lots of eclipsophiles booked hotel rooms a year in advance for the "average" price, then months later got cancellation notices, and told they could re-book for like a thousand dollars!  LOTS of outrage and the state AG is looking into possible prosecutions.  The state DOT is warning of horrific traffic and interstate gridlock as Californians and Washintonians try to drive into the path of totality the day of the eclipse, some starting while it is still dark, late the night before or early in the morning, since totality is set for after 10AM.  There's even some worry that drivers will just stop in the middle of the road and get out of their cars to watch, and you can imagine what kind of deadly wrecks might happen in that case!  There might be lots of places in the path of totality where there are still hotels with rooms, but Oregon probably isn't one of them.  Oh, another thing besides the right glasses to watch with, you have to have a special filter on your camera, too, or you can destroy the optics or melt the glues inside the camera.  DH and I went to a presentation by the local astronomy club and they warned us about cameras and what the eclipse might do to them, so I wanted to share that with you all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Possible alternatives to hotels:  family-owned or chain motels (Motel 6 is good), inns, bed & breakfasts, or even renting a camper or mobile home and taking it on the road.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I'll be in Jackson, Wyoming...a prime spot.   Cannot wait!

If there is a thread here during the event...I'll post. 

@september  Please do and lucky you!!!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Well, fair warning, Cakers, don't head to Oregon.  I don't think there is a single hotel room for rent anywhere near the path of totality.  Lots of eclipsophiles booked hotel rooms a year in advance for the "average" price, then months later got cancellation notices, and told they could re-book for like a thousand dollars!  LOTS of outrage and the state AG is looking into possible prosecutions.  The state DOT is warning of horrific traffic and interstate gridlock as Californians and Washintonians try to drive into the path of totality the day of the eclipse, some starting while it is still dark, late the night before or early in the morning, since totality is set for after 10AM.  There's even some worry that drivers will just stop in the middle of the road and get out of their cars to watch, and you can imagine what kind of deadly wrecks might happen in that case!  There might be lots of places in the path of totality where there are still hotels with rooms, but Oregon probably isn't one of them.  Oh, another thing besides the right glasses to watch with, you have to have a special filter on your camera, too, or you can destroy the optics or melt the glues inside the camera.  DH and I went to a presentation by the local astronomy club and they warned us about cameras and what the eclipse might do to them, so I wanted to share that with you all.

@CamilleP  Hi Camille-oh heck no Oregon is too far.  LOL  We'd be roughing it in our vehicle anyway. 

But that interactive map shows some partial in our area.  My son has an uber telescope that has some kind of filter for viewing the eclipse.

I didn't know about the glues in cameras.  How interesting and thank you for the info.

It will probably be a zoo out there in the prime viewing areas; just the curiosity alone but also those who view these phenomena as prophetic somehow or related to aliens or whatever.  In other words, the crazies.  Yikes!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I read the longest duration of darkness will be in the Carbondale, IL area. My brother lives there. Lucky man!