Esteemed Contributor

No doubt we're all thankful for each day. And it's okay to wonder where the time went. Shared with my nephew, turned 40 this week, that the 40s are fabulous. Enjoy every  moment. When time flies -- it means we're not 'stuck.' Going with 66 for SS. It will be here before I know it. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

wrote:

My husband just turned 65 on Sunday. We got him all signed up for Medicare & supplements, but we're going to be working until I turn 65 in two years...just can't afford the medical insurance for me!

IMO for people around our age it's better to wait until age 66 to sign up for the benefits (not talking about Medicare here), the year we qualify for 100% SS benefits.  I do now qualify for 100% but I'm going to try to wait til age 70 to sign up for the benefits because, unless something changes in the law, I will get even more then because I get 8% more each year until age 70 at which time, the base monthly benefit doesn't increase any more.

Honored Contributor

I delayed retirement to 68 ... made a big difference in my SS check!

Honored Contributor

@kivah, Thank God that you beat your ovarian cancer.  You say you knew you had it before your diagnosis.  Could you tell me how you knew?  What were your symptoms?  In 2010, my mother died of cervical cancer which might have different symptoms but I've always wondered.  By the time she complained of pain, it was too late.  She was 80 and wasn't very clear or logical when asked questions.  Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

DH and I both turn 65 this year and look forward to Medicare. In some crazy way I thought everybody else got older but not me. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Social Security

[ Edited ]

@kivah I thought that during the Clinton administration some special provision was made for women with ovarian and breast cancer. I read his book many years ago and somehow I think I read that. I looked it up and it is cervical and breast cancer:    http://www.imaginis.com/breast-health-news/president-clinton-signs-breast-and-cervical-cancer-treatm...

Honored Contributor

Several years ago an elderly dear friend told me to enjoy my 60's because they would be the best years of my life. She was 85 at that time - she has since passed away.Anyway, now I just turned 69 and my health is deteriorating so I now understand what she was telling me.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

DH and I both turn 65 this year and look forward to Medicare. In some crazy way I thought everybody else got older but not me. 

@OKPrincess, that's how we mortals roll. To face the aging and the End is beyond comprehension. We do everything in our power to ignore it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@kivah, Thank God that you beat your ovarian cancer.  You say you knew you had it before your diagnosis.  Could you tell me how you knew?  What were your symptoms?  In 2010, my mother died of cervical cancer which might have different symptoms but I've always wondered.  By the time she complained of pain, it was too late.  She was 80 and wasn't very clear or logical when asked questions.  Thanks.

@Mmsfoxxie My mom died in 2009 age 80 of ovarian cancer. There was no warning but she lived a full life.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny

Reading ur post to me made me tear up. Glad ur checking out options - and I would think Medicare and/or ur supplemental should pay for it - given ur family history. We're lucky today that there are so many medications, treatments and the doctors are so much more knowledgeable. There are few signs beforehand with ovarian cancer -- so most people don't realize they have it until the later stages. 

Tomorrow I'm going for my first colonoscopy - hoping everything is positive.

Good luck to you - and you do have to be pro-active --- and a GREAT cancer doctor is so important. I told my doctor that he saved my life. Woman HappyHeart