Contributor

I sighned up for mine in December.I waited until I turned 66.I Talked to a very nice lady.and she informed me that ssi runs a month behind.I should start receiving it in March..They sure don't mind taking it from you.But take their time giving back your own Money.

Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66, I'm right behind you in almost all you said.  I don't have the grands though. I must be your shadow. LOL Oh I'm 1 yr younger.  LOL And I have a son, no daughters, and no fibro.  Other than that, LOL

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 My dad (86) doesn't like me to remind him how old I am (63 in a couple weeks), because it reminds him of how old HE is! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I was thinking today. I retired July, 2017 and started collecting Social Security. And I started to physically fall apart July, 2017. My knee hurts all the time. I have changed my cancer medication 3 times and still, I have pain walking, standing, sitting. The only time I am not is pain is lying in bed with my leg elevated and straight.

I am so glad I retired. I now wish I did it sooner. I never expected to start to deteriorate so soon.

Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security

[ Edited ]

I was unemployed and signed up and started colleting at 62, it was a difficult decsion, but I am enjoying it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

The end of this year I will turn 70, and I'm still working full-time, so no Medicare yet (I'm on employer's medical, which is better).  When I do retire, I will be on the state's retirement medical (like an advantage plan).  Since I've worked nearly my whole life in the state system, I don't qualify for Medicare Part A (hospital) anyway.  I will have to pay for the Part B (outpatient), just like everyone else.

I still don't know what the heck happened to years 40-68.......last time I checked I was only 39!  Cat Tongue

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I started collecting mine at 62. I got my first payment just two months ago, in late December. Then I, along with everyone else, got a raise in January.  I love Social Security, LOL. A raise after only one payment. 

I have two small pensions that I’ve been collecting for several years. So I was really pleased to add substantially to the household monthly income. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Next month I will be 67 and can hardly believe it. It seems I get used to a new age and then I turn around and have to get used to yet another. My mother used to say “the older you get, the faster time goes by”. I told her that was impossible, yet I now say she was right!

Honored Contributor

My husband just signed up for Medicare, he did not sign up for SS yet.  He is waiting until he is 66.

i don’t know when I will start collecting SS , maybe when I am 65, then I won’t receive a bill for Medicare Part B. I’ll be 64 in May.

i don’t feel old yet, therefore I’m not. That’s my story and I am sticking to it.  My DH and I starting dating when I was 15 and he was 16. Where did the time go?

Respected Contributor

I think there's something wrong with me. I just don't feel any different or any older than I did at, oh, age 40. It was a shock to sign up for Medicare, but it didn't bother me. I just don't feel "retired." We quit our careers at 55 and switched residences, moving full time to our beloved lake and keeping our city home as a pied-a-terre. Perfect! Mother is still living on her own at nearly 92, although she was just diagnosed with a heart condition. We lost .Dad at 95 last summer, and he was active and mowing his own lawn until less than year before he died, although dementia was creeping in. Because they were still "young" and active for so long, I still felt like a "kid" physically. May it be ever thus! I am as grateful as I should be.