Valued Contributor

In all my life I never figured that 7 years ago I had to go on disability. Because of a bad fall, now I will be 65 in a a couple of weeks. When I checked about social security, they told me they just kinda role me over into social security. BUT I don’t feel old, and I still enjoy having fun and feel a little offended when I’m lumped into a certain age bracket!

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny

In 2001 I had been experiencing various symptoms but I didn't know what it was. I was working part-time jobs and had no insurance. In 2003, I realized that I had ovarian cancer, as my mother died from that in 1982. I still wasn't able to go to the doctor - having no insurance - so I had to wait til November, 2005 when I turned 65 yrs old when Medicare kicked in.

All my life I had insurance until I needed it.

I was right - I had ovarian cancer, stage 3.

I'm very lucky - I had surgery and chemo -- and "I BEAT IT".

I'm now 77 yrs old - and the age doesn't fit the person.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@CelticCrafter they keep telling us that age is just a number but why is that number so mean.I like the 6 but when you stick on a 0 it doesn't roll off the tongue well at all.I also noticed that people start looking at you as frail too.Do you need help getting your bag to the car?Would you like to sit down and wait?You shouldn't be doing that etc.While I think it is kind to offer help I don't like the reminder that I look old enough to need it.

I was so busy at my job that I didn't notice it when I turned sixty.  I finally stopped working when I was seventy only because my back surgery failed and I was in a lot of pain.  I had planned working until I was seventy five so was very disappointed I didn't make it.  No one ever guessed my age, good genes and attitude made me lucky to work as long as I did.   Don't let the numbers get you down, you aren't old, just mature and wise.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

the other night when my husband and i were out to eat. there were some people standing outside the front door of the resturant smoking (off to the side). When dh and I were leaving, the "kids" struck up a conversation with us, and one thing led to another and  the conversation turned towards age. The "kids" guessed dh and I were in our late 50's early  60's.  We both felt honored and both chuckled when we told them we were in our late 60's early 70's. All the " kids" were shocked (eye bugged out of their heads) when we told them that. 
Age is all in our heads. LOL, When all the aches and pains begin when we get out of bed in the morn or get up after sitting in our rockers chairs (lazy boys). We both look at each other and say well grandma,grandpa lets get moving after we shake out our joints.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

@Allegheny

In 2001 I had been experiencing various symptoms but I didn't know what it was. I was working part-time jobs and had no insurance. In 2003, I realized that I had ovarian cancer, as my mother died from that in 1982. I still wasn't able to go to the doctor - having no insurance - so I had to wait til November, 2005 when I turned 65 yrs old when Medicare kicked in.

Congratulations on beating cancer and maintaining a young attitude.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

9B2E689D-DDC1-4167-9217-B8CAC50A3CE5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I just signed up for Social Security. Am I really that old. I’m 64 this year. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@mare54 . Me too!  I will be 64 (I had to stop and think about that!)  in May.  ...but I only feel like I'm 30 something!

Honored Contributor

@kivah that is quite a remarkable story.You were so fortunate to beat that cancer b..ch.

As a Canadian I find it sad that so many people here can't go to the doctor when they need to.I am so happy to hear that you had the best outcome in spite of waiting to be treated.My friend passed away at 38 from that same cancer.She had young children at home.I was so angry that cancer took the life of my best friend who was just an amazing person.So many attended the funeral that some had to stay outside.Her doctors and nurses even attended.I still feel sad 20 years later that she isn't here.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@Allegheny

@kivah  I am so glad you were able to beat the ovarian cancer.  My mother also passed from ovarian cancer at age 67 in 1979.  I believe there may be a genetic issue on my maternal side, with ovarian, breast and colon rectal cancer.  My grandmother, my mother, and my second cousin all passed from ovarian cancer.  

Last year my first cousin discovered she too had the start of ovarian cancer, even though both her mother (died from breast cancer) and she had negative BRCA 1 & 2 tests.  She did have more extensive genetic testing which revealed she had a known gene mutation associated with ovarian cancer.  It was recommended that her four children (even her son), get genetic testing.

Even though I had a partial hysterectomy I still have one ovary.  So now I am starting the process to be genetically tested.  I am not sure Medicare and my supplemental will pay for it without a lot of hassle, but it is something I have to do.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

My husband just turned 65 on Sunday. We got him all signed up for Medicare & supplements, but we're going to be working until I turn 65 in two years...just can't afford the medical insurance for me!

@vermint . Medical insurance is outrageous when you're over 60 but not old enough for Medicare!  Mine this year is $940.00 a month....only another year and a half to go!