Valued Contributor

Re: So tired of gloom and doom

Here's some good news:

Today Dow surged 5.1% -- biggest gain since 2009.

Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

Here's some good news:

Today Dow surged 5.1% -- biggest gain since 2009.

@Maggie Nolia, the stock market is its own strange animal. It does what does, sometimes with reason and sometimes not.

I would wager that more people in this country than not don't have much interest in the market anyway.

It certainly can't do anything to help us if this virus or the next one invades.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Hi, oxox,  In FLorida it's always something (hurricanes, politics, etc!).  But I am hopeful.  So happy to be here despite health issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Please do not get angry at strangers that cough, sneeze or anything else in front of you.  Not all that do this are sick with a cold, flu or virus.  Some of us have allergies, smoke, COPD or lung cancer.  We still get out in public even though we get dirty looks and nasty remarks.  We do our best to control our sneezes,  We try not to cough, but when your chest fills up, you have to bring it up.

We can't wear masks when needed because the warmth of our breath and the heat on our nose make runny noses and tears from our eyes worse.  But, we try.  

You can't catch what we have, but we can catch what you are throwing our way.  Your condemnation, your disgust, your anger.  We take that home with us.  You make us feel like dirt when all we wanted was to get out and enjoy the life you are living.  You live it in fear, whereas we see it as a good sign that we felt good enough to get out of the house for a few hours.  

While you are being safe from your fears, please be respectful of the others that are fighting theirs. 

@Preds 

I have many allergies and spend a lot of my life sniffling and sneezing.  But I always cover my nose with my elbow if I sneeze in public.  That's just common courtesy.  As an allergy sufferer, I really can't say that I felt any hostility on these boards for folks who sneeze in public - only those who spray everything around them. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

I personally think knowlege is power, so I listen to news I can use. That usually precludes anything political.

I have a serious pre-existing lung condition and a shot immune system. Since people over the age of 70 are dying right down the road from me, I intend to go out in public as little as possible until I'm pretty sure the flu season has run its course and the Corona bug is on its way out.

And I don't care if people look down their long, supercilious noses at me for taking good care of myself! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Where are all these allegedly "hysterical people"???  Yelling?  Screaming? Hair on fire?

Seems to me there's hysteria developing on the topic of hysteria--in other people, of course. 

I don't detect any more hysteria over this virus than I've seen in two major metro areas over the prospect of a snowstorm coming.  Store shelves get emptied then, as well.

Then people retire quietly to their homes and hunker down to wait it out while listening to weather reports--or some encouraging news about the progress or lack thereof of flu and a new virus that is traveling around.

It's not "hysteria" to think our next visit to a well-stocked store might not be able to happen for a while.  Shouldn't people prepare for that?

@novamc1  It is mass hysteria to descend on grocery stores and empty out supplies of toilet paper and bottled water like these commodities are going to cease existing. People fighting in Costco. Yes this is nuts. Why bottled water? Do people think the virus is going to enter the water system or somehow cause a water main to break and pollute the water supply? Are people really prepared to honker down in their homes for months on end and not venture out to grocery stores, malls, movie theatres, hair salons, schools, places of worship on the outside chance that someone in the store might have the virus? I don't think so.  For heaven's sakes cancel your Dr.'s appointment don't want to go there. I suspect that in a couple of weeks all of this talk of hoarding toilet paper and bottled water will become very boring and it will be back to usual for most. 

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

So tired of reading gloom and doom, is anyone out there happy and not scared of contracting some mysterious virus

I have a compromised immune system and I am cautious but living my life 

Sorry, but I live where the first US deaths occurred and more and more cases are being confirmed on a daily basis. None of them traveled. My neighbor is a nurse at the medical center where the two cases died. One nursing home here not only has had a death, but more and more residents are testing positive. On top of that some of the workers there have tested positive, and now the student group touring the facility is quarantined. That nursing home is close by the Medical Center where the first deaths occurred, but new cases are popping up in all directions of the city. Several of our schools have had students with the virus, and the buildings are closed to be cleaned and disinfected. I too have risk factors, but I still want to be informed. Information is power...no matter how gloomy it is. I don't want things hidden from me as was done in China. I'll take precautions. I'm playing pinochle today at a very public town center and food court. I'll bring Lysol to spray the table and hand sanitizer to frequently clean my hands, and I won't be touching my face, eyes, nose or mouth. It pays to be aware, even if you find the information inconvenient.

One of the nearby cases is a young person that returned from travel to northern Italy. I'll bet my billy that she is patient zero in this scenario. I believe she has some connection to the nursing home but don't hold me to this since I have not checked my facts on it. 

Don't bet your bippy. You may need it to combat the virus. LOL. Just heard we now have 6 deaths, 10 confirmed cases and 29 under testing. The deaths at this point are concentrated in the Evergreen Medical Center area, including the nursing home. School cases are spread out in different directions. First person to be confirmed weeks ago was in Snohomish. He was hospitalized and just recently went home. UW Med has announced that they now will be testing people. The CDC WAS the only one that would test, but that now has changed. The more tested, the more we can eliminate as to positives and the more we can treat who need it.

@RainCityWoman Well, I've lost my bippy because I was wrong. The twenty year old that just returned from Northern Italy is in New York. Good thing a bippy isn't worth very much. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Please do not get angry at strangers that cough, sneeze or anything else in front of you.  Not all that do this are sick with a cold, flu or virus.  Some of us have allergies, smoke, COPD or lung cancer.  We still get out in public even though we get dirty looks and nasty remarks.  We do our best to control our sneezes,  We try not to cough, but when your chest fills up, you have to bring it up.

We can't wear masks when needed because the warmth of our breath and the heat on our nose make runny noses and tears from our eyes worse.  But, we try.  

You can't catch what we have, but we can catch what you are throwing our way.  Your condemnation, your disgust, your anger.  We take that home with us.  You make us feel like dirt when all we wanted was to get out and enjoy the life you are living.  You live it in fear, whereas we see it as a good sign that we felt good enough to get out of the house for a few hours.  

While you are being safe from your fears, please be respectful of the others that are fighting theirs. 

@Preds 

I get what you're saying but you still need to be mindful 

of the practices the CDC is saying we should all be doing.

Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue,
then throw the tissue in the trash.

I had a test at the hospital this morning.  Two people in the waiting room were coughing...not even bothering to cover their mouths.  Both older men.  The height of rude and uncaring behavior toward others.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee . Most likely the worst place to be now is in the hospital ER or a Dr.'s office. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

So tired of reading gloom and doom, is anyone out there happy and not scared of contracting some mysterious virus

I have a compromised immune system and I am cautious but living my life 

Sorry, but I live where the first US deaths occurred and more and more cases are being confirmed on a daily basis. None of them traveled. My neighbor is a nurse at the medical center where the two cases died. One nursing home here not only has had a death, but more and more residents are testing positive. On top of that some of the workers there have tested positive, and now the student group touring the facility is quarantined. That nursing home is close by the Medical Center where the first deaths occurred, but new cases are popping up in all directions of the city. Several of our schools have had students with the virus, and the buildings are closed to be cleaned and disinfected. I too have risk factors, but I still want to be informed. Information is power...no matter how gloomy it is. I don't want things hidden from me as was done in China. I'll take precautions. I'm playing pinochle today at a very public town center and food court. I'll bring Lysol to spray the table and hand sanitizer to frequently clean my hands, and I won't be touching my face, eyes, nose or mouth. It pays to be aware, even if you find the information inconvenient.

One of the nearby cases is a young person that returned from travel to northern Italy. I'll bet my billy that she is patient zero in this scenario. I believe she has some connection to the nursing home but don't hold me to this since I have not checked my facts on it. 

Don't bet your bippy. You may need it to combat the virus. LOL. Just heard we now have 6 deaths, 10 confirmed cases and 29 under testing. The deaths at this point are concentrated in the Evergreen Medical Center area, including the nursing home. School cases are spread out in different directions. First person to be confirmed weeks ago was in Snohomish. He was hospitalized and just recently went home. UW Med has announced that they now will be testing people. The CDC WAS the only one that would test, but that now has changed. The more tested, the more we can eliminate as to positives and the more we can treat who need it.

@RainCityWoman Well, I've lost my bippy because I was wrong. The twenty year old that just returned from Northern Italy is in New York. Good thing a bippy isn't worth very much. Smiley Happy

Well, it was worth something to you, or you wouldn't have bet odds on it. Right now, if I were you, I'd check into a bippy transplant. I'm sure there must be donors.