Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

They didn't have a death wish, they were addicted.

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

I was referring to the generation Suzy mentioned.  It's a different situation for the younger generation, largely cultural.

The Bay Area has very few smokers.  It's culturally unacceptable and there are strict laws against smoking anywhere except your own home.

Other areas could make that happen, also.

@Noel7  I know we have laws here in California but we still encounter folks puffing away before they enter restaurants smack in front of the door gag me! 

Where do you live, because it sure isn't happening where I live.  

@Noel7 not to far from you. Maybe it's just my luck ! 

Granted it doesn't happen as much as it once did. But just last Friday leaving Chill's with a friend we had to cover our face to protect us from breathing it in....sigh. I cough loud to give them a hint. I don't say anything because you never know these days about violent people.

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

They didn't have a death wish, they were addicted.

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

I was referring to the generation Suzy mentioned.  It's a different situation for the younger generation, largely cultural.

The Bay Area has very few smokers.  It's culturally unacceptable and there are strict laws against smoking anywhere except your own home.

Other areas could make that happen, also.

@Noel7  I know we have laws here in California but we still encounter folks puffing away before they enter restaurants smack in front of the door gag me! 

Where do you live, because it sure isn't happening where I live.  

@Noel7 not to far from you. Maybe it's just my luck ! 

Granted it doesn't happen as much as it once did. But just last Friday leaving Chill's with a friend we had to cover our face to protect us from breathing it in....sigh. I cough loud to give them a hint. I don't say anything because you never know these days about violent people.

Cleaning up SF took awhile, it was one step after another.  It started with restaurants that had a non-smoking section  It was a joke because the non-smokers were only a few feet from the smokers.  That was the first target and a law was passed that no smokers were allowed in restaurants.

@MaRina

Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone who smokes anymore, not one single person.  

I do see people driving cars and smoking.

SF has days for volunteers to clean up the beaches, there are people there at night who leave butts and the city is well aware the butts kill sea life and animals.  

Honored Contributor

Boy, it's great to see all this tolerance so many of you demand for every other thing that people are or do in society today, but can't tolerate 'these' people. 

Many here aren't saying the habit or act is disgusting, but the people are. How sad that some people expect others to tolerate their 'rights' choices, decisions, but can't offer that back to others. 

Typical.

Trusted Contributor

The only smoker I know is my 70 year old aunt.  She always complains how she can't smoke everywhere anymore, as if it's an abomination that she can't light up in the hospital waiting room or the 5 star restaurant.  It amazes me how incredibly selfish she is when it comes to her two packs a day.  I think we'll see a massive drop off in the number of smokers in the next 20 years.  It really is a habit of the oldest generation, and I don't think the youngest generation can afford it.  It's not considered cool anymore for kids to do it.  It amazes me how it's still legal.  

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Boy, it's great to see all this tolerance so many of you demand for every other thing that people are or do in society today, but can't tolerate 'these' people. 

Many here aren't saying the habit or act is disgusting, but the people are. How sad that some people expect others to tolerate their 'rights' choices, decisions, but can't offer that back to others. 

Typical.

(Secondhand smoke physically harms everyone in the vicinity. And smoldering butts cause fires.)   

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

The only smoker I know is my 70 year old aunt.  She always complains how she can't smoke everywhere anymore, as if it's an abomination that she can't light up in the hospital waiting room or the 5 star restaurant.  It amazes me how incredibly selfish she is when it comes to her two packs a day.  I think we'll see a massive drop off in the number of smokers in the next 20 years.  It really is a habit of the oldest generation, and I don't think the youngest generation can afford it.  It's not considered cool anymore for kids to do it.  It amazes me how it's still legal.  

Most smokers have this attitude.  It's disgraceful.

Honored Contributor

I can't believe how much they sell cigarettes for now!  Who can afford to smoke.

I've known all my 50+ years that cigarettes are a bad habit you don't want to start.  It wasn't new news then either.

So many people smoke those electronic cigarettes now.  The smoke or steam that comes out of them is unbelievable.  Looks like a locomotive puffing away.  I don't think they are safe either.

I don't know anyone who smokes now and come to think of it I don't even have any neighbors who smoke.  I do remember when smoking was everywhere.

People are finally *getting it*.  Not that it's a bad habit that will kill you, but the rest of the world doesn't want to be harmed by their smoke.

Respected Contributor

How much is a pack of cigarettes now?   

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

How much is a pack of cigarettes now?   

Around here, around $6 to 7$ for premium brands.