Respected Contributor

It's so gross - unhealthy, stinks, and disrespectful 

Honored Contributor

I had a neighbor who would fling his butts over into my side yard.  Really ticked me off.  I tossed them right back.

Rudeness isn't addiction, it's rudeness.

I know you know that.

Honored Contributor

I rarely encounter smokers anymore.  They've all either quit or died. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't know anyone that smokes anymore either    Smoking hasn't been allowed in restaurants and offices in a long time.  The worst thing is walking past a bunch of smokers outside    

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

They didn't have a death wish, they were addicted.

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

I was referring to the generation Suzy mentioned.  It's a different situation for the younger generation, largely cultural.

The Bay Area has very few smokers.  It's culturally unacceptable and there are strict laws against smoking anywhere except your own home.

Other areas could make that happen, also.

@Noel7  I know we have laws here in California but we still encounter folks puffing away before they enter restaurants smack in front of the door gag me! 

Honored Contributor

The young people I see smoking are the kids of smoker parents.

Most people I socialize with are not smokers.  Thank goodness.

Honored Contributor

@MaRina wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

They didn't have a death wish, they were addicted.

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

I was referring to the generation Suzy mentioned.  It's a different situation for the younger generation, largely cultural.

The Bay Area has very few smokers.  It's culturally unacceptable and there are strict laws against smoking anywhere except your own home.

Other areas could make that happen, also.

@Noel7  I know we have laws here in California but we still encounter folks puffing away before they enter restaurants smack in front of the door gag me! 

Where do you live, because it sure isn't happening where I live.  

Respected Contributor

I work at a company full of young, fit people. There are always (young) smokers in the shelters the mandated minimum distance from each entrance. Today I was accosted by the smoke from a woman standing halfway between the shelter and the door while on her cell phone.  Apparently the noise level in the smoking shelter was too high.  It's actively discouraged and culturally unacceptable here, too, for everyone except the smokers Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

In SF, and areas around us, it is ILLEGAL to smoke outside restaurants, bars, theaters, etc.

THAT is a functional deterrent.

If you don't like others smoking, you can do something about it.

Honored Contributor

I used to work in an office over a health clinic.  The workers were always outside in the morning smoking, and when I'd go out for lunch, they be out there smoking some more.

And then they'd put their butts out in the potted plants that were at the entrance to the breezeway.  

I see healthcare workers outside clinics/hospitals whenever I have to go to one.

You'd think they would know better, if anyone would.  But I guess not!