Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Both my parents died of smoke-related diseases. We had our problems, but they didn't disgust me. They were addicted.

Same for my parents.

I still get angry when I see people throw their butts out the car window or drop it on the street, though.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

I think thrown cigarette butts should be considered littering and that one should be fined. I've seen where someone has emptied their ashtray out on the ground with trash cans close. 

I see this a lot.

Why don't smokers think their butts are trash?  Do they throw their Burger King bags out the car window too?

I see this a lot also. I think it should be considered worse than littering, because most of those BK bags are not smoldering when disposed of Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@QueenDanceALot, in my area they do! 😜

Oy.

Honored Contributor

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking and drinking was to that generation? 

They didn't have a death wish, they were addicted.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Companies making cigarettes knew they could kill but they kept it a secret for a long time.  After several years of lies of omission, many in an entire generation were addicted.

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

Respected Contributor

I'm at the end of a dead end road, yet some nincompoop, walks down the road and throws their butts over my gate into my yard ! Grrrrrrr ):

Honored Contributor

I have some friends who still smoke and it's hard for me to be around them, even though they try to be very considerate and "only" smoke outside.  I still have to sit a good distance from them if I don't want to be hit by the smoke (which I don't), and I end up feeling really jerky about that, even though I shouldn't.  I sometimes end up feeling like I'm being judgemental, when all I want is to breathe smoke free air and not stink of cigarettes when I get home.

Honored Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

Some of the nicest people I know are smokers and they go out of their way not to inconvenience others with their habit, which they know is frowned upon.

And I find most of them rude and inconsiderate, and they are annoyed at all the new smoking laws.

It is a filthy and disgusting habit, and it is harmful to people who breathe their disgusting second hand smoke (whether indoors or outdoors.)

I have no pity for them.

My father was a smoker and I gagged my way through childhood.

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

I think thrown cigarette butts should be considered littering and that one should be fined. I've seen where someone has emptied their ashtray out on the ground with trash cans close. 

I see this a lot.

Why don't smokers think their butts are trash?  Do they throw their Burger King bags out the car window too?

I see this a lot also. I think it should be considered worse than littering, because most of those BK bags are not smoldering when disposed of Woman Frustrated

Exactly! 

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Have people seen Mad Men?  Did you notice how important smoking ans drinking was to that generation? 

This is true. But anyone currently in their 30s or younger has always known the dangers. Nothing has been able to be hidden for years. 

I was referring to the generation Suzy mentioned.  It's a different situation for the younger generation, largely cultural.

The Bay Area has very few smokers.  It's culturally unacceptable and there are strict laws against smoking anywhere except your own home.

Other areas could make that happen, also.