Esteemed Contributor

Cakers wrote: 

Cigarette butts account for approx. 40% of our pollution.  40%. 

@Cakers3  What is your source for this figure?

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I have never smoked.  It was known when I was a teenager that smoking was dangerous and addicting.  I am 63.  

The oldest of my two brothers smoked.  He died from lung cancer at age 51,even though he quite smoking 20 years before he was diagnosed and died.

Now his widow has lung cancer.  She smokes like a chimney and has for years.  Her skin, like all smokers is prematurely wrinkled.  Soon, her two boys and three grandchildren will have to live on without her. She too, will die young.

It's very sad when people smoke.  It's not good for anyone oranything except the manufacturer.

Our government makes a fortune in taxes from smokers, so even though they pass laws to discourage it, they would be in sad shape without all of that tax money.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Cakers wrote: 

I think she means 40% of all litter.  I did a quick look and that stat is on several sources.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Cakers wrote: 

I think she means 40% of all litter.  I did a quick look and that stat is on several sources.

I'm not arguing the point but I rarely see cigarette butts anymore.  

Contributor

You think cigarette smoke stinks, just wait until pot becomes legal in all  50 states-- and don't think it can't happen.

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

My mom has been a smoker almost all her life. I've tried so hard to convince her to stop to no avail. Not even breast cancer made her stop. Not even the idea of getting another type of cancer deters her.

She's spending a fortune to get dental implants since many fell out after radiation treatment. I suggested now would be a great time to stop so her mouth stays nice looking and she is undeterred. She said just bury me when the time comes.

If that's not addiction, I don't know what is. I had to ask a few times for her not to smoke in front of me while I was pregnant. It's like auto pilot. 

The silver lining is that her habit made me want to never smoke anything. I hardly drink. I don't want to be addicted to anything period except good habits.

Usually a dentist will not do full mouth implants on a smoker as their habit causes bone loss.  

@truffle It's a partial implant on the top and bottom. She does have bone loss so she had to use a donor. I will let her know that and maybe she will listen.

I just realized she probably didn't stop while she was pregnant. Wow. I can't imagine being that addicted to something. It's just terrible. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Cakers wrote: 

I'm not arguing the point but I rarely see cigarette butts anymore.  

@tansy

It must depend on where we live, I don't see them either.

Esteemed Contributor

NOthing like the nausea inducing smell of pot drifting through the air.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I used to work in an office over a health clinic.  The workers were always outside in the morning smoking, and when I'd go out for lunch, they be out there smoking some more.

And then they'd put their butts out in the potted plants that were at the entrance to the breezeway.  

I see healthcare workers outside clinics/hospitals whenever I have to go to one.

You'd think they would know better, if anyone would.  But I guess not!

The last hospital I worked at before retiring had a very large patio-type area with nice tables where mostly employees would eat lunch, but occasionally chemo patients would go to sit too.

The evening and night shifts all went out there to smoke. Nothing was done until people reported it to the administrator in one of the monthly meetings - and it had to be brought up more than once. They didn't have the manpower in Security to babysit, and they foolishly thought that officially saying "Don't!" was going to work.

Fairly early in my career was before no-smoking in places of employment. In one place I worked in a room the size of a large closet with mediocre ventilation. I worked with two other women, both chain-smokers. They took ciggy breaks every half hour. One was forced to get a smokeless ash tray because of me (the non-smoker) and she told me I was responsible for providing the batteries and she didn't care WHAT the boss said about it. When the ultimatum finally came down NO smoking, period, she quit. And this was in a hospital! This was into the late 70s-early 80s.

I am very rarely around anyone who smokes these days, but there's one thing that can't be taken care of even by "considerate" smokers. They can go outside, make sure the breeze is carrying their smoke away from others, etc, BUT - they STINK like stale cigarette smoke, and I find that more repugnant than actual smoke. I want to get as far away as possible from the SMELL. A vat of Febreze wouldn't help. It's not just their clothes, it's their hair and skin. Gross.

If we're talking addiction, I don't differentiate between addictions. People don't publicly tolerate drunkenness, or people running around taking meth or ODing in public. Whatever the substance one is addicted to, there are effective resources to help those stop who WANT to. There's only so much "oh poor addict, it's not their fault and they can't help it, we should all just feel sorry for them" that I'm willing to give.  They can get help - various medications, counseling, hypnosis - if they want help. Many are just happy smokers who have no desire to quit and resent the laws and the non-smokers around them.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

NOthing like the nausea inducing smell of pot drifting through the air.

So odd - I use MMJ, but I do not "smoke" it (since I've never been a smoker), though I occasionally vape it, which you pretty much can't smell. But someone in the household is using various forms (again, not smoking it) post cancer surgery, radiation and chemo for pain and nausea. Theirs I can smell, and though I don't "hate" the smell, I don't really like it either. Pretty skunky. Try walking into a dispensary some time - tak about getting hit in the face with the smell...!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all