Esteemed Contributor

Lot of self righteous going on here.  I will agree on keeping your butts to yourself.  

Respected Contributor
I always wondered why there was never any rehab centers for smokers who need help quitting. With all the taxing on cigarettes, all the money that gets donated to find a cure, why no clinics to stop the nasty addiction we have? BTW NONE of which are covered under insurance plans that I'm aware of for smoking cessation.

As a newer, former smoker and I ask my fellow non smokers and current smokers, do you agree that having rehab centers that we check in and detox for 5 days and nights would greatly help to get people smoke free? Follow up would be included. 

I would have paid $1000 or so to participate in such a program. This is the right way to do it and be successful.. All the taxes collected could be used for these programs instead of Governments stuffing their pockets for other City services. 

Everytime me I see these new commercials of people  who smoke and died, on oxygen, voice boxes and trachea pipes, ok we SEE it, now give us SOLUTIONS already. Gosh I wish this would happen! I would volunteer to help counsel
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Boy, it's great to see all this tolerance so many of you demand for every other thing that people are or do in society today, but can't tolerate 'these' people. 

Many here aren't saying the habit or act is disgusting, but the people are. How sad that some people expect others to tolerate their 'rights' choices, decisions, but can't offer that back to others. 

Typical.

(Secondhand smoke physically harms everyone in the vicinity. And smoldering butts cause fires.)   

You don't get my point at all. The act/habit may be harmful/disgusting/dangerous. But several here are demeaning the person. No tolerance. We shouldn't tolerate fires or people blowing smoke in restricted places, but this degradation of people for smoking wouldn't be tolerated here by people if the topic were 'people are gross who have tattoos and piercings all over their body' (yes, it effects me, I have to look at them).

I don't smoke, never have, don't live with anyone who does, and don't like to be around it. But I don't have the disgust for smokers that people here do. There are a lot of things people do I don't like, but I dislike like the behavior, not the person.

Oh, I got your point...but you missed mine. There is a world of difference between being affected by something because you have to see it (really?) and having it be a real, physical threat to you. For a more equivalent analogy, look at the attitudes from people here about drunk drivers (not driving!) Not all about the behavior there either, nor should it be. The intolerance, to use your word, is directed at the person knowingly putting others in harm's way. Not offending them...

Respected Contributor

I know that a nicotine addiction is one of the worst to kick. I applaud those of you who have quit or are trying. My brothers all smoked and have all quit, thank goodness. I was in Australia a few years ago and the number of smokers astounded me, and they pay about $30 per pack! So smokers there will smoke the equivalent of a mortgage payment every month. That alone tells me how addictive tobacco is.

Respected Contributor

It's the attitude of so many smokers that I find abhorrent -- how they feel they should be able to smoke anywhere they choose, how they don't understand, or just don't care, about inflicting harm on bystanders, or their children or pets, how they litter (the beaches are one huge ashtray to them!). They want to kill themselves? Fine. Keep your habit to yourself. It's their complete disregard for anyone else that disgusts me. 

I have alienated a couple of family members because they are not permitted in my home (or car) -- not even if they don't light up. They stink. And I certainly won't go to their homes. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

While I've been reading this rant I've been wondering how many of those posting are addicted to food or soda. Why those so very concerned about a whiff of second hand smoke are driving big polluting SUVs spewing exhaust. How many release balloons. How many use k-cups, paper plates... Glass houses?

No, no, no, no, no, and no.

May I hate cigarettes now?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

Cakers wrote: 

Cigarette butts account for approx. 40% of our pollution.  40%. 

@Cakers3  What is your source for this figure?

I think she means 40% of all litter.  I did a quick look and that stat is on several sources.

@Noel7Yes, I meant litter, not pollution.  Thank you it was late at night.

@mistriTsquirrelThere is a wealth of backup out there.  If I post my sources they get ignored.  If I don't post them I get questioned.  I can't win around here.  *sigh*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Boy, it's great to see all this tolerance so many of you demand for every other thing that people are or do in society today, but can't tolerate 'these' people. 

Many here aren't saying the habit or act is disgusting, but the people are. How sad that some people expect others to tolerate their 'rights' choices, decisions, but can't offer that back to others. 

Typical.

(Secondhand smoke physically harms everyone in the vicinity. And smoldering butts cause fires.)   

You don't get my point at all. The act/habit may be harmful/disgusting/dangerous. But several here are demeaning the person. No tolerance. We shouldn't tolerate fires or people blowing smoke in restricted places, but this degradation of people for smoking wouldn't be tolerated here by people if the topic were 'people are gross who have tattoos and piercings all over their body' (yes, it effects me, I have to look at them).

I don't smoke, never have, don't live with anyone who does, and don't like to be around it. But I don't have the disgust for smokers that people here do. There are a lot of things people do I don't like, but I dislike like the behavior, not the person.

I don't think you can really compare breathing secondhand smoke to "having to look" at body piercings or tatoos.  You actually don't have to look, and if you DID have to look it wouldn't harm your health or interfere with your ability to breathe.

I havve said that there are people I care about who still smoke and it bothers me for them AND for me when I am at gatherings with them and they are smoking.

My best friend in the WORLD still smokes and has COPD.  I worry about him every day.  He is such a wonderful person and he's never been successful at quitting.  I quit many years ago and I totally relate to those who say it was the hardes thing they've ever done.  I quit 'coild turkey' and it was a struggle for a long time.  I had dreams about cigarettes for years after I quit , mostly dreams where I was smoking and aware that I had screwed up by starting again.  I was always so relieved when I woke up and realized it was only a dream.

I eventually stopped having those dreams, but I lost the conscious desire for a smoke long ago.  And I thank God (or whoever it is) that I did.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I know that a nicotine addiction is one of the worst to kick. I applaud those of you who have quit or are trying. My brothers all smoked and have all quit, thank goodness. I was in Australia a few years ago and the number of smokers astounded me, and they pay about $30 per pack! So smokers there will smoke the equivalent of a mortgage payment every month. That alone tells me how addictive tobacco is.

Everything in Australia is expensive so the cigarettes are all relative over there. My family lives there. When they come here to visit they buy clothes, purses etc as they are some much cheaper in the US.

Back to cigarettes. We were riding with friends one night, both husbands in the front, wives and baby in a car set in back. We were on a highway in summer with the windows open. Someone in the lane next to us flicked a cig out the window and it landed in the backseat between one of us and the baby. Could have been really bad.

Honored Contributor

I quit smoking over 30 years ago.  Never had the urge to touch a cigarette again, and i quit cold turkey.  Just made up my mind to do so.  Took a lot of pretzel sticks and lollipops in the beginning, since I was so used to having a cigarette to hold on to.  But that didn't go on for very long.   I rarely see smokers these days.