Esteemed Contributor

Small Changes That I Have Made

[ Edited ]

I have all but given up coffee.

I may have one cup every 2 - 3 weeks.

Soda.

I use to be a big soda drinker, but now, I might have one can a day, and some days, I have zero cans of soda.

I have a co-worker who is addicted to regular Pepsi, and another co-worker who is addicted to diet Pepsi. She will go through a six-pack a day.

The one who drinks regular Pepsi, also chews tobacco (ew!) and is addicted to gambling (slots). He hasn't seen a dentist in years

I don't want to be like them, so I changed my habits, (not that I ever chewed tabaccy!)

I'm slowly reducing carbs (I don't eat pasta as often as I use to), but I still like my sandwiches.

As they say, baby steps.

What changes (big or small) have you made in your life?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Small Changes That I Have Made

I got rid of some negative people in my life. What a relief. Good for you watching your eating. It is such a battle for some. I battle it everyday. I would love to face dive in a cake on a daily basis. 🤣🤣  Keep going it is one day at a time. 

Honored Contributor

Gave up soda and smoking at the same time back in Nov. 1997.  Decided to do the pain all at once.  Right before gave up drinking five cups of coffee a day to only one and now down to about a half a cup.  Still miss smoking and if they found a way to do without dying I would knock everyone down out of my way to get to the store!!  Good luck it only hurts for awhile.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Nothing, my motto is,"everything in moderation".

Valued Contributor

I'm giving up soda at home. Only having it when we go out to eat.

I've also given up my toxic siblings.  I feel lighter.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I quit smoking after nearly 40 years of it. It's been almost 10 years and I didn't even have a relapse. Shortly after that I quit drinking booze and some other bad substances that almost killed me.Smiley Indifferent When I came that close to death, there were several other big changes I made after that. It changes you for sure.

Oh and after I quit all that bad stuff, I rewarded myself with a new car and a face lift.Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

This is long ago.  But when I retired my coffee consumption went down by 90%.   Also I eat way more salad and fresh vegetables then I ever have.  I still eat sweets, but only out of habit, not because I desire them.  Before I married DH there was never any candy or cookies in the house.

Respected Contributor

I joined a "no sugar" challenge group that my trainer set up in January. It was supposed to be only for the month of January, and while I've had a few deviations from the path, I've pretty much stuck to it on my own. The deal is no added sweetners of any kind. None. It's amazing how much better I feel without that in my body. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I haven't changed any in a very long time. With my history I now fall into(physically and mentally) the "if it ain't  broke?" leave it be category.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I improved my dental hygiene.  I used to sometimes skip brushing at night (ew), and I would do flossing in the morning (sometimes skipping) because at night I was too lazy.  Now I sonic brush day and night religiously and floss every night. And my dental hygienist barely needs to do anything to me. They say dental health is linked to cardiac health.  So hopefully I won't die of a heart attack now!  I also improved my diet and started taking various supplements to improve my health and appearance. Got my blood pressure under control and lost about 15lbs. I'm feeling so much better, but still more work to do.